What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

i watched a couple bad films while on my last work trip. Just on USA Network. Hostage & Black Dog.

Hostage was a pretty typical Bruce Willis action film, though slower.

Black Dog I hope was never supposed to be serious.

Devilman Live Action

Never sure just how I feel about this. For a Japanese anime/manga live action adaptation the costuming is pretty good and the SFX are fair. The script isn't bad, and the acting is OK. Still, there's not much spark to this. The "hero" is whiny and unlikeable, and the fight choreography is not particularly good. This doesn't make me want to run out and write up Devilman.

Peacock King

If I can get a complete version of this, I'll probably like it more.

Masked Rider the First

If you can get past the wimpy protagonist, this is actually a pretty good Superhero movie. Not a bad story, good enough costumes and SFX, a few predictable but entertaining twists, OK fight scenes, OK stunts, fair sets on a tight budget. I liked it more than I thought I would, and will be writing up the main character.

What about Angel?

I've got S1 & 2, but haven't watched either yet.

Really liked seasons 1-4. Some great episodes in Season 5, but it didn't hold together as well as the rest of the series. Season 5 actually has four of my favorite episodes, and two I can't stand, making it pretty uneven for me.

Really liked seasons 1-4. Some great episodes in Season 5' date=' but it didn't hold together as well as the rest of the series. Season 5 actually has four of my favorite episodes, and two I can't stand, making it pretty uneven for me.[/quote']

Ok, thanks for the comments.

Next Buffy episode t watch: Once More, With Feeling. It was the second highest rated episode of the series/show and after looking at some of the lyrics, pretty similar to a rock-opera (eg reminds me of Tommy).

The Brothers Bloom: Was OKish.

Taken: Pretty fun action, love Liam Neeson, but he was a bit too indestructible in this one. Super linear action flick plot.

Benjamin Button: He lived backward. He died. Meh, I'll have one plot please. Even less plot than Taken. Gimmick not enough to sell it to me and the Mrs. Pattern Ghost.

Wall-E: Great fun!

Finished off Season 2 of Wind at My Back: Family friendly drama set in the Depression in Canada (1932-33 so far). The actress playing Grace is worth watching it by herself. Her performance is brilliant. Steals show from the main actress. Show went five seasons. 1,2, and 4 are rentable, but nobody has seasons 3 and 5, so it's eBay for them. Wife's pick, but I approve.

Primeval kicked off its 3rd season on BBC America. Dinosaurs and Futurebeasts on the loose in the UK! Maybe not great television, but good solid fun.

Maybe not great television' date=' but good solid fun.[/quote']To me great television is defined as being good, solid fun. My definition of fun ranges from action to drama so if it is within the spectrum and fun to watch, it is great television.

I have been trying to clear shows off my DVR and I am slowly getting there.

I finished the last three eps of Chuck season 2. I really enjoy the show.

I finished two of the last three eps of Lost. I am on the season finale but only just started it.

Kelly's Heroes -- An very odd take WWII and human greed. It was what I thought Three Kings was going to be like, when I saw the latter film. It also makes for a curious juxtaposition against The Dirty Dozen, since Donald Sutherland and Telly Savalis are in both (and play vastly different roles). I also think that Oddball (Sutherland's character) escaped from 'Nam. ^_^

Kelly's Heroes -- An very odd take WWII and human greed. It was what I thought Three Kings was going to be like' date=' when I saw the latter film. It also makes for a curious juxtaposition against [i']The Dirty Dozen[/i], since Donald Sutherland and Telly Savalis are in both (and play vastly different roles). I also think that Oddball (Sutherland's character) escaped from 'Nam. ^_^

Kelly's Heroes is the s#$%. I have always loved that movie. Nothing brings enemies together faster than mutual financial gain.

Guest steamteck

Outlander Direct to DVD. Sort of kinda like its promo" Beowulf meets Predator " does superficially describe it. A human looking alien crashes in Norway 09 AD when a creature with a grudge kills everyone on his ship but him.

Well done in general. A good 1st line cast including James Cavielel, John Hurt, Ron Perlman and Sophia Myles ( Underworld) Solid directing , cinematography direction and decent special effects. One really cool viking village . I have no idea why it couldn't have been a theatrical release. If you like this sort of thing go see it.

Ashes to Ashes Series 2 episodes 1-7.

Loved Life on Mars, didn't much like Ashes to Ashes Series 1. Series 2, while still not as good as LoM, hits closer to the mark. They've moved away from the Coma Dream / Death Dream POV in LoM into more of an Alternate World / Afterlife for Cops model, which at first was kind of off putting but which has grown on me. They've also left things open enough that they can move back to the Coma Dream model by the end of the series if they choose to. At this point I'm guessing they're going to end Series 3 with one of the rejected LoM ending proposals, and have our heroine return to the present only to meet a much older "real" Gene Hunt.

Blue Water, White Death -- A 1968 documentary on filming the Great white Shark underwater. An amazing time-capsule of a movie, since there is so much that's changed since it was made.