What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Last weekend I got to see the first two episodes of Koi-Hime Musou: a gender-switched version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The series is very much played for laughs and has a large proportion of, er, large proportions, matched with all sorts of yuri innuendo (sometimes in truly inappropriate places). It would be horrid were it not so funny.

It was at a club meeting which also showed the newest Slayers series, the wildly comic Minami-ke Okawari (three ordinary sisters and the extraordinarily funny things that happen to them), the very funny Tora Dora (about two students in obvious, violent denial, making Akane and Ranma look lovey-dovey by comparison) and the shoujo comic romance Lovely Complex (in which a tall girl and a short boy form a sort of "comedy duo" without quite realizing they're actually in love).

The club is definitely in the mood for a laugh these days, as they seem to be showing almost exclusively comedy.

A tongue-in-cheek (oh Gods I hope it was tongue in cheek) sci-fi style movie patterned after all the thrillers of the 50s.

The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra

Bad dialogue, bad delivery, bad special effects, bad plot... all combined to make one really fun Bad Movie Night movie.

A scientist and his wife are in search of a falling meotor (for Science! - I kid you not, it's all to advance Science!) that has Atmospherium in it. To add to the fun another scientist is in search of the Cadavra Cave in search of the lost skeleton (which talks via Telepathy and is a smart-@$$) - to bring it to life and conquer the world. Then add in space aliens whose mutant gets loose when they crash. The mutant starts killing people (The Farmer and Ranger Dan actually). The best actors in the movie are the Skeleton's voice over and the hot girl who played Animala (a transmuted collection of forest animals by the aliens Transmuter Ray...).

I'd describe the plot, but ... I'm not sure there was one.

Almost finished watching all of Stargate thanks to Netflix. Now on season 9.

Funny. When this show was on, I wasn't much into it. Didn't like the whole Star Trek Redux vibe from the later seasons, and I kept tuning in just as they had a clip show episode. Now, seeing the series as a whole, I'm very impressed. It's not great TV or great SciFi, but it's often very good, and it would make an excellent game setting.

Magic Cop - Part of the Mister Vampire series, an immortal Taoist priest has become a Hong Kong cop in the 1990s. His daughter is killed and turned into a very life-like zombie by a Japanese sorceress who also happens to be the brains behind a crime family. Many magic based duels ensue, with some martial arts thrown in. Our Magic Cop is assisted, if that's the right word, by his two rookie comrades and his niece, all of whom are great examples of just what an incredible pain DNPCs with Unluck can be; their constant bad choices and clumsy fumbling almost make them Hunteds.

Cheesy, but from a gamer point of view an interesting picture. This would work darn well as a campaign, with magic using Hong Kong cops going up against Asia's Occult Underworld.

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles.

Not usually a big fan of anime style movies, but this one was pretty entertaining. So much so that I am now trying to figure out how to squeeze a Robotechish style game in my otherwise busy schedule. Catch in on Hulu if you are in the U.S.

A Boy And His Dog - a post-apocalyptic movie' date=' complete with nihilism, telepathic dogs, underground totalitarian societies that parody 1950s America, and an ending that I honestly did not see coming.[/quote']

I saw that in the theater when it came out on a date. I think that was the only date with her.

A Boy And His Dog - a post-apocalyptic movie' date=' complete with nihilism, telepathic dogs, underground totalitarian societies that parody 1950s America, and an ending that I honestly did not see coming.[/quote']

Southern Cross - repped me with a comment that I didn't read the original novel.

Nope. Didn't even know it was one. I'm gonna go find a copy. Thanks for the tip.

"A boy loves his dog". :D

Haven't seen the movie but loved the short story.

cheers, Mark

Newest episode of Royal Pain

I also caught the first Harry Potter movie with my wife.

And finished the first season of True Blood.

True blood is ok, I really like some of the supporting characters, but frankly Sookie is sorta silly, and Bill is menacing vampire as Don Knotts would be.

Newest episode of Royal Pain

I also caught the first Harry Potter movie with my wife.

And finished the first season of True Blood.

True blood is ok, I really like some of the supporting characters, but frankly Sookie is sorta silly, and Bill is menacing vampire as Don Knotts would be.

Sure, she's silly, but the actress is also majorly hot. That counts for a lot. ;)