What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I watched "A Touch Of Brimstone' date='" the episode from the old Avengers TV show from which Byrne and Claremont lifted the Hellfire Club. It was a fairly strong ep, Peter Wyngarde stole the show and my, oh, my, Mrs. Peel knows how to wear clothes.[/quote']

Or lack thereof.

Protoge de la Rose Noir. A Superhero film from HK with a light, campy feel to it. If you like light hearted goofiness, including a musical number, in your Superhero films, this is a fun flick. If you're looking for serious Kung Fu or stunts, look elsewhere.

The Twins (Charlene Choi and Gillian Chung), broke and homeless, take jobs as the sidekicks of the Black Rose, Hong Kong's version of Batwoman. Add in some riffs on the Adam West era Batman, an all girl costumed criminal gang that manages to be both cute and somewhat menacing, some minor and almost useless actual super powers, and some silly Silver-Age style gadgetry. I could easily see incorporating these characters into a light hearted Champions campaign.

Protoge de la Rose Noir. A Superhero film from HK with a light, campy feel to it. If you like light hearted goofiness, including a musical number, in your Superhero films, this is a fun flick. If you're looking for serious Kung Fu or stunts, look elsewhere.

The Twins (Charlene Choi and Gillian Chung), broke and homeless, take jobs as the sidekicks of the Black Rose, Hong Kong's version of Batwoman. Add in some riffs on the Adam West era Batman, an all girl costumed criminal gang that manages to be both cute and somewhat menacing, some minor and almost useless actual super powers, and some silly Silver-Age style gadgetry. I could easily see incorporating these characters into a light hearted Champions campaign.

is that on dvd?

is that on dvd?

Yup, subtitled.

The Black Rose was HKs answer to Batman in the late 1960s / early 1970s. The Film takes the tongue in cheek view that she's now more than a little mad, having been abandoned by her husband and with her most recent protoge having turned Supercriminal. Enter the Twins. Light hearted goofiness, with rifs on everything from Batman to HK gangster films to classic Kung Fu films.

I've seen some very negative reviews by people who seemed to think they were going to get Batman Returns; it's a light "nonsense" comedy, not a drama.

Went to the theatre on my birthday and saw the new Harry Potter movie. I hadn't read the novel, so there were many surprises for me, and the Young Wizards in Love subplots were interesting. The actor who played the new professor looked vaguely familiar, but I don't know who it was.

I should have remembered before I came in that Dumbledore was going to die, but the knowledge had escaped me until it actually happened. I wonder what this will make young viewers of the movie think -- this is obviously not a true "kids film" where everything works out in the end.

One question -- about that book, the one that was "property of the Half-Blood Prince" and had all the powerful and deadly magic instructions in it. I'm convinced it was placed where it was as a trap, one into which Harry enthusiastically fell. But was it a trap for Harry or for anyone who happened to find the book? And why did Snape go to such elaborate lengths to teach spells that, with time, would warp the user?

In fact, Snape's role in the whole affair is a bit confusing. Does he truly serve the Dark Lord, or is he playing his own high-stakes game of magical brinkmanship and making up the rules as he goes along? Why did he spare Harry's life when it would have been more sensible to kill him -- if he had killed Harry, that would have left some doubt as to the identity of Dumbledore's murderer, and now Snape cannot show his face at Hogwarts again without risking Azkaban or worse.

Went to the theatre on my birthday and saw the new Harry Potter movie. I hadn't read the novel, so there were many surprises for me, and the Young Wizards in Love subplots were interesting. The actor who played the new professor looked vaguely familiar, but I don't know who it was.

I should have remembered before I came in that Dumbledore was going to die, but the knowledge had escaped me until it actually happened. I wonder what this will make young viewers of the movie think -- this is obviously not a true "kids film" where everything works out in the end.

One question -- about that book, the one that was "property of the Half-Blood Prince" and had all the powerful and deadly magic instructions in it. I'm convinced it was placed where it was as a trap, one into which Harry enthusiastically fell. But was it a trap for Harry or for anyone who happened to find the book? And why did Snape go to such elaborate lengths to teach spells that, with time, would warp the user?

In fact, Snape's role in the whole affair is a bit confusing. Does he truly serve the Dark Lord, or is he playing his own high-stakes game of magical brinkmanship and making up the rules as he goes along? Why did he spare Harry's life when it would have been more sensible to kill him -- if he had killed Harry, that would have left some doubt as to the identity of Dumbledore's murderer, and now Snape cannot show his face at Hogwarts again without risking Azkaban or worse.

Book Seven answers a lot of these questions.

The actor is Jim Broadbent. He's been in a lot of movies' date=' including Baz Luhrman's Moulin Rouge.[/quote']

I didn't see Moulin Rouge, but I did see him as William S. Gilbert in Topsy-Turvy (the story of the creation of The Mikado) and was very impressed.

I watched two Asian films tonight.

The first was Sword in the Moon, a Korean swordsman film. While visually very nice, with beautiful sets, costumes, and so on, I found it lacking in story. The basic plot has two soldiers become strong friends while in the service, only to end up on either side of a fight when rebellion breaks out. The problem is in the story telling -- there's a lot of flashbacks, and at times its a little hard to tell if you're watching current events or past ones. There's also a lot of skips in the action, where things happen off camera, making it hard to determine what has happened. Sad to say, this film breaks my "I've yet to see a bad Korean film" streak. On the other hand, it once again proves that Korean actresses are all insanely hot.

The second film was called Dororo. A live-action version of a Tezuka Osamu manga, it's a bizarre flic in which our hero is off to hunt down and kill the 48 demons who own various parts of his body. He lost said parts, when his father bartered him to the demons in the first place (before he was even born) in exchange for the power to unify everything under his control.

Our hero, Hyakkimaru, fights roughly 7 or 8 demons on screen, and almost all are CGI -- which works well enough that things don't look totally silly. The demons are wonderfully outlandish, and the basic plot would make for a great monster hunters game. He's also joined by a woman brought up to be a man (which lets her act very over-the-top for a Japanese film) who also provides much of the light comedy in the film (demons explode when killed...guess who gets splattered with the results?).

I liked this one a lot more than Sword in the Moon, mainly due to the more coherent plotting and direction. On the other hand, there are some scenes that might qualify as Nightmare Fuel if you're not one for eyes, dead bodies, and things exploding when killed.

Saw Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince. It bit. Hard. Way too slow-moving. Left out major parts of the book, but somehow found time to make up crap to insert. The scenes that should have been the most exciting were glossed over or lifeless, while scenes of minor importance were stretched out way too long. Easily the worst of the HP movies, IMO.