What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Watched Columbo season 1. Five discs with 9 movies. If you haven't seen Columbo before (I was amazed that some of my coworkers hadn't heard of him), these murder mysteries focused on Columbo bothering the suspect until he sets up an elaborate trap to catch them with evidence of wrongdoing.

CES

"Coraline", now on DVD. I had missed it when it was in theaters. An absolutely fantastic movie, I highly recommend it. It's a double-sided disc, with the 3D version on side B (four green-magenta glasses are included).

JoeG

We just saw that last weekend - it had a surprisingly brief stint in the theatres here, so we caught it on DVD (in 2D, not 3D). Good, light hearted fun.

Also started watching an anime series I got from my sister-in law: "Technolyze". Cool visuals, interesting background (it's set in a sort of ultra-industrial dystopia, where the wealthy get extended lifespans and capabilities via cybernetics or "technolyzing" and everybody else, it seems, gets the shaft). Definitely not lighthearted fun! It is holding my interest so far, though.

cheers, Mark

El Santo vs the Martians.

This is a fun movie. Like the best Lucha films, it's a perfectly respectable example of a B Movie (in this case, a Sci Fi Invasion film), plus Masked Wrestlers. It's available with English subtitles as well, a plus for those of us who don't speak Spanish.

I was expecting the Martian's weapons to just not work on El Santo, and was pleasantly surprised by the in-story reasons given for not just killing him.

He manages to defeat the first Martian he faces by jumping him before he can aim and then holding him in locks that prevented him from bringing his Astral Eye to bear. After that, orders are to take El Santo alive.

The Martians are also pretty well done Enlightened but Misguided enemies, which again fits the film's base genre.

Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinsoaur Hell - it's even worse than the title sounds. Seriously. Troma should never have filmed this one. I had to stop watching 20 minutes in.

Noise - Tim Robbins plays a husband in NYC who gets driven over the edge by car alarms going off all the time. He goes vigilante style with it after his wife kicks him out. He meets a girl who convinces him to get a petition up to make car alarms illegal in the city. Slow paced drama bit with a decent chunk of Social Philosophy tossed in. I really liked it to be honest. Tim Robbins is one of my favorite actors.

Grand Torino

And excellent movie and a great cap on Clint Eastwood's acting career. While mostly a drama, it had nice bits of light humor running through it, mostly when Clint's character Walt was interacting with Thao.

Finally saw From Hell, something I've been meaning to do for, oh, years. I've even bought the DVD before, and wound up with one that wouldn't play.

Do I lose geek cred if I like a lot of the movie adaptations of Alan Moore's work, even if he hates them all?

My favorite line?

"They used to burn men like you, alive. "

five deadly venoms

Man, that's a great film!

We watched Terminator: salvation the other night. Not a great film. Not even a good film. More a series of clichés loosely interleaved with plot holes and held together by explosions. I'd rate it a solid "Sorta OK, I guess".

There were some cool explosions, though.

cheers, Mark