What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Finally got around to checking out Warbirds from the collection Bunneh gave me.

It was almost a pretty good B Movie. Almost.

I lost 'em when they had the American service truck on the Japanese occupied island, and the constant "over" on the radio got silly fast.

Finally got around to checking out Warbirds from the collection Bunneh gave me.

It was almost a pretty good B Movie. Almost.

I lost 'em when they had the American service truck on the Japanese occupied island, and the constant "over" on the radio got silly fast.

isn't that how military radio communication was done in that era? as i recall two way radioos had a button you pushed to talk and lifted to hear the response the term "over "was used to signify that the speaker was waiting for a reply

isn't that how military radio communication was done in that era? as i recall two way radioos had a button you pushed to talk and lifted to hear theresponse the term "over was used to si"was used to signify that the speaker was waiting for a reply

I'm sure it was... but not during a dogfight with flying dinosaurs :eek:

It just got kind of silly very quickly. During the non-dogfight scenes it came across as appropriate. It killed the urgency of a fight though.

I'm officially the last nerd on Earth to watch Battlestar Galactica, having just watched the last episode last night.

Which was stupid, but they can't all be winners, and most of them were.

I'm sad about Boomer, but I have to acknowledge that has a great deal to do with my finding it very hard to hold anything against Grace Park. (Wait, is there a joke in there somewhere?)

They'd sure better retcon some stuff, too. "All will be revealed," my arse.

Did I mention that I didn't like the last episode?

"Coraline", now on DVD. I had missed it when it was in theaters. An absolutely fantastic movie, I highly recommend it. It's a double-sided disc, with the 3D version on side B (four green-magenta glasses are included).

JoeG

It comes out in theatres here this week. I'll be watching it ASAP.

Cool visuals' date=' interesting background (it's set in a sort of ultra-industrial dystopia, where the wealthy get extended lifespans and capabilities via cybernetics or "technolyzing" and everybody else, it seems, gets the shaft). Definitely not lighthearted fun! It is holding my interest so far, though.[/quote']

Sounds like the background for Battle Angel Alita as well (and possible quite a few anime series)

Days Of Darkness - also from the stack Bunneh gave me. I love Bunneh.

It's a zombie flick. Or an alien invasion flick. It's hard to tell. Either way, it's kind of interesting, with bad acting, OK special effects, and the end involves guns, booze and driving a hummer off into the sunset. So I'll call it a solid win B-Movie.

Oh! My Zombie Mermaid

Not as entertaining as I'd expected. Too much Japanese Pro Wrestling face-heel stuff, and an American bad guy that reminded me just how strong the resentment remains in a certain part of the Japanese zeitgeist.

El Santo vs the Martians

Better than I'd expected, a good choice for Lucha fans and newbies to the genre.

V for Vendetta

Pretty solid flick - John Hurt is suitably unpleasant as 'El Presidente' and the leading Party members are all deeply unpleasant.

Nice bits of bloodshed here and there...

Just one thing - no-one warned me about the scene with the dodgy Bishop:

Natalie Portman with her hair in pigtails, wearing a pink and white 'little girl' ensemble :eek::thumbup::eek: (a mixed reaction there - made me feel all hot and bothered for a bit, followed by feeling like a depraved old man...).

The ending where the Houses of Parliament go up in smoke is suitably ironic given the low (even by historical standards) opinion that the public over here have of our MPs in the wake of the expenses scandal.

Worth seeing - I will add that I have not read the graphic novel, but I have read several of the comic strips from the days when it appeared in a periodical whose name I cannot recall (may have been called Warlord, but cannot be sure as i no longer have any issues).

Earlier today I watched Ilsa, She-devil of the SS - one of my work colleagues gave it to me, so I plead 'not guilty'; the less said about THAT film, the better (I am not that keen on seeing lots of women raped + tortured to death [or near to death], even in a campy 1970s film with masses of bewbage...)

V for Vendetta

Worth seeing - I will add that I have not read the graphic novel, but I have read several of the comic strips from the days when it appeared in a periodical whose name I cannot recall (may have been called Warlord, but cannot be sure as i no longer have any issues).

Warrior

I had the opposite reaction to this film, and didn't like it at all. But then, I had read the graphic novel beforehand (several times).

As far as V for Vendetta, I liked the movie better than the graphic novel. It seemed a little more plausible. And the speech when Evey and V meet had all the chapter titles used as the words.

Watched Taken. An ex-spy has 96 hours to find his kidnapped daughter before she is sold into slavery. A lot of people have to die for that to happen.

CES