What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Ooh' date=' where did you get it? I tried to find some El Santo DVDs with English tracks or dubbing a while back and came up empty.[/quote']

Got it subtitled from Amazon; had to look around a bit, but they have a few subtitled Lucha flicks. :)

Watched Eagle Eye. The antagonist is moving the protagonists around like pieces on a chessboard, but never thinks that one, or both of them would break its plans up with some guts and a little determination.

Always have a plan b.

Watched Real Ghostbusters vol 1. The weakest stories were the college frat boys and the death of Agatha Grisley. The strongest to me were Pillar under New York and the Baseball game. The rest slotted inbetween with degrees of watchability.

Watched Shooter. This movie almost makes me want to go out and get the book.

CES

Watched Season One of Sanctuary on Netflix streaming video.

This was a surprisingly fun series, at least from a gamers POV. Yet another "Secret Supernaturals Amoung Us", but pretty well done, and with a couple of organizations both Criminal and Heroic that would fit very well into a Champions game.

Watched Real Ghostbusters vol 1. The weakest stories were the college frat boys and the death of Agatha Grisley. The strongest to me were Pillar under New York and the Baseball game. The rest slotted inbetween with degrees of watchability.

CES

Ooh, I loved Real Ghostbusters back in the day, though my own personal favorites were 'Ragnarok and Roll' and 'Collect Call of C'thulhu'. Though the baseball one was pretty good too, esp. when Winston nails a homer and sends the evil team's pitcher right through the back of the stadium so hard he shatters it!

Ooh' date=' I loved Real Ghostbusters back in the day, though my own personal favorites were 'Ragnarok and Roll' and 'Collect Call of C'thulhu'.[/quote']

Collect Call of C'thulhu is a fantastic and affectionate Shout Out to Pulp-era horror.

Just watched the trailer for the 2009 Darna on Youtube. If this thing were in English, half the Superhero fans I know would be hooked. An over the top soap opera where the lead is a Superheroine and the ever changing roster of friends and enemies just happens to include a long list of Supervillains.

Smallville did much the same thing, of course, and I wasn't much of a fan, but that was probably because I was too much of a Superman fanboy. Here, where I only really know the characters from the show, I'm mostly pretty well entertained.

Collect Call of C'thulhu is a fantastic and affectionate Shout Out to Pulp-era horror.

And it only gets better when you realize that it was written according to the unwritten "rules" of proper Cthulhu Mythos homages. You had the shot-out to a Mythos writer (Professor Augusta Derleth), Miskatonic U, the Necronomicon, the cult... everything! Except of course the main characters didn't go crazy in it, they just wisecracked their way through it (save for one moment with Egon, who freaked when he saw old Squid-head: "Full power on the accelerators, NOW!").

And it only gets better when you realize that it was written according to the unwritten "rules" of proper Cthulhu Mythos homages. You had the shot-out to a Mythos writer (Professor Augusta Derleth)' date=' Miskatonic U, the Necronomicon, the cult... everything! Except of course the main characters didn't go crazy in it, they just wisecracked their way through it (save for one moment with Egon, who freaked when he saw old Squid-head: [i']"Full power on the accelerators, NOW!"[/i]).

Let's not forget this exchange:

"I hear this Cthulhu is a pretty bad dude."

"Put it this way -- remember Gozer? This guy makes Gozer look like Little Mary Sunshine."

The last things I watched was the DVD of the Jon Pertwee story Carnival of Monstersand rewatched the first two episodes of The New Captain Scarlet (a CGI remake of the old Captain Scarlet series),and enjoyed both.

I also have to mention that,before that,I managed to watch Night of the Blood Beast on Monsterpiece Theater Presents,which is a blog that puts public domain monster movies on the internet.

Che Part 1 and Part 2. The best loved guerilla leader ever from his involvement in the Cuban revolution to the failure of the Bolivian expedition.

Benicio Del Toro is brilliant in the title role.

The Punisher Warzone. Does exactly what it says on the tin. He shoots people or kills them in a variety of ways. Added bonus is the cast with Dominic West (McNulty in The Wire) as Jigsaw, Colin Salmon as an FBI agent and Julie Benz as the widow of an FBI agent.

Push. Superpowers based film set in and around Hong Kong. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Let the Right One In. The touching romance between a boy and a vampire in 80s Sweden. Brilliant.

Let the Right One In. The touching romance between a boy and a vampire in 80s Sweden. Brilliant.

Allow me to second the recommendation here. Possibly the best vampire movie yet. The novel is also quite good.