What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Saw Young Victoria last night - a great movie. Paul Bettany as the prime minister - there was something about his intensity and eyes that was quite scarey somehow.

Mostly the same as history - except for

Victoria actually was friendly with Leopold, and the assasination attempt (the first in Victoria's life of the many she had) was 2 shots, both missing, no one was injured - that was increased for dramatic tension.

Acting was great, costuming was great, sets were fantastic. It's nice to see some story of the pre-death of Albert days of Victoria, before the English Empire got into full gear.

Just got some news: Apparently' date=' the US network has released a statement that Defying Gravity is [u']not[/u] cancelled. But they haven't stated when the rest of the series will be shown. CTV is till going to show the remaining episodes.

Thanks. Maybe we will see how it turns out after all.

Watched seasons 1-4 of Lost on Hulu. Interesting premise. Engaging enough that I was willing to sit through four seasons in less than that many months in order to watch it. I do not get all the complaints about the unexplained mysteries piling on one another. To me, the big questions are;

Where did the Hostiles/Others come from?

Who were the Dharma initiative?

Did they find or create the island?

What is the smoke monster?

Who is Jacob? Is he the consciousness of the Island?

Why did they kill off Eko? If there was ever a storyline about the redemption of a holy warrior, Eko was a great choice for that.

And I actually have answers to some of that. Not sure they are the "official" answers, but they are my answers. Those are for another thread though. Maybe.

I can't start watching Season 5 as they are halfway through it on Hulu. Maybe when Season 6 starts they will post all of Season 5.

Appleseed Ex Machina - sort of saw this. I saw parts of it friday night while at tea with the gang. Animation is horribly bad CG... seriously. I think I could do it on my computer at home. the story looked awesome though, what I caught of it. I will admit some of the fight scenes were animated really well, so there is that.

Last Exile - started watching this series, streaming from Netflix... English voice acting has no improved over the years... the girls still sound like they're squeeking through their noses. Might just go pick this one up. Some really good Steampunk.

Yeah' date=' we were just about to find out what was in Pod 4,and it just ends. They have five more episodes in the can apparently, they just don't plan to broadcast them on network TV. I hope they at least show them online or come out with a DVD.[/quote']

They'll show them when they need more schedule filler. The show was not so much cancelled as just ran into the new season in the United States. But I saw what they are hiding in Pod 4. It was nothing surprising.

They'll show them when they need more schedule filler. The show was not so much cancelled as just ran into the new season in the United States. But I saw what they are hiding in Pod 4. It was nothing surprising.

No, though they did a good enough job on the story in that episode that I didn't feel let down by the "reveal".

So it wasn't Nixon's missing 18 minutes?

Last Exile - started watching this series' date=' streaming from Netflix... English voice acting has no improved over the years... the girls still sound like they're squeeking through their noses. Might just go pick this one up. Some really good Steampunk.[/quote']

I've got this series on DVD.

The best voice acting I've heard for an anime series is for Hellsing. Not the OVA, the original.

How can that be? I thought the OVA had the same voice actors as the previous anime...

And I've watched the first volume of Casshern Sins.There are some things I have to let you know:

(1) the version I saw was in Japanese with English subtitles. Apparently an English dub doesn't exist (at least for Zone 4).

(2) It has little to do with the previous versions. While many of the major characters exist from the previous versions,they are all significantly changed from their previous selves (ESPECIALLY Casshern,Friender and Luna).

(3) It is very slowly paced. The first volume covers twelve episodes (on two DVDs),and Casshern still doesn't remember what he's done.

(4) The new series has a much more stylised art style than the 1993 version. Casshern suffers most from this,with his waist jets looking more like guns.

(5) Casshern Sins has a strong mystical element that I don't like. The idea that the murder of one woman can destroy the world and everything in it is frankly magic,plain and simple.

(6) This version of Casshern is a berserker.Once in combat,he starts destroying everybody within sight,unless calmed down. Does the world really need the cyborg version of Wolverine?

I've also watched the first three episodes of Primeval,Season Two.While they were as enjoyable as the first,I really don't like the main menu,as if you don't click quickly enough,you could end up watching the whole DVD,instead of just one episode.

Watched the first episode of the new Christian Slater TV show, The Forgotten. Much like any other cop show. It had more clichés in it that you could shake a stick at. Pretty typical premise that we've seen a dozen times or more. There is a personal tragedy for the main character that was saved up for the final exposition scene but anybody watching the show should have guessed it about fifteen minutes in. Same sorts of interview scenes. Same types of chemistry we have seen in cop shows since Hill Street Blues.

And for all that, I liked it. Rather a lot actually. One of the cool things is the voice of the victim acting as narrator. Certainly not original, but the voice chosen for the first episode was somewhat creepy. Almost an older version of the little girl's narration from the Crow. Maybe more like the narration for the opening movie of Zork Nemesis. In any case, it was worth the price of admission and I don't feel like it was a waste of my time.