What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Watched Hellboy 2. Two favorite scenes were Abe and Manning walking through the BPRD building with the monsters in the background, and Abe and Hellboy drunk and talking.

Also liked the locker room scene.

The parts that bothered me (but not enough to kill the movie) was Manning's loss of take chargeness, and Johan's promotion. Manning seemed more wishwashy than the first movie, and Johan didn't have the empathic nature he has in the comic books. Basically for a guy who turned himself into ectoplasm, he more then willing jump in without looking.

CES

Just watched the Universal classics House of Dracula and House of Frankenstein. HoD was exceptionally bizarre -- Larry Talbot (the Wolf Man) only changes into a werewolf because he thinks he does? And because his brain swells? Uhh, yeah. Talk about discontinuity.

Watched Inkheart.. It's a slow movie for a fantasy adventure. It seemed like more than half of the movie was devoted to the scenery which was pleasant but did nothing for the story.

A point that I noticed was that Mo switched people around, but the others didn't. On the other hand, Darius didn't fully pull people out of their books. I suppose that was down to his stutter.

CES

Lots of old MST3ks. Some great stuff here. I still pick up the Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic DVDs when they come out, but I'd love to get a new show weekly again.

Also some odd Japanese Superhero stuff. Not much to say on this, except that it's a fine line between campy nostalgia and deeply creepy.

Shindig

Mal: [after knocking his dueling opponent to the ground] Sure, it would be humiliating having to lie there while a better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man

[gives a quick stab to the guy]

Mal: guess I'm just a good man

[stabs him again]

Mal: well, I'm all right.

Wild Wild West - the Will Smith movie... man did that miss the mark. They shouldn't have tried the "Artemis & Jim Meet For The First Time" theme. They should have done what the TV Show did, and had them partners all along. West wasn't as stupid as Smith played him either. And the puns, oh the badly delivered puns....

The Golden Compass - "Steampunk" in the Pulp Era Aether Technology sense of it. Decent "girl has to save the world" kind of story. Nicole Kidman makes a very very very good Evil. Worth it just for her.

Started watching reruns of Magnum PI on Hulu. I was dreading the "it's been 20 years" syndrome that plague a lot of the old shows that I go back to. I was pleasantly surprised that Magnum is still fun and funny. The interplay between Magnum and Higgins still makes me laugh out loud.