Slayers Magic Spells

Edsel

If you are familiar with the Slayers then you will realize that it is a setting that features outrageously powerful magic. But it is also fairly comedic. The information below is very bare bones and very much a work in progress. Please feel free to offer input and criticism.

These conversions are based on the formulas given in Reality Storm. I have looked over the BESM write-up of the spell and the Slayers d20 write-up as well. In many cases the text description of the spell is at odds with the conversion formulas, in these instances I applied what little common sense I had to try and make it workable. Many of these spells are variable in power, weaker or stronger versions are possible. The versions given here are as strong as the examples given in the source materials.

About Skill Rolls: In my own fantasy world (if I ever ran one) spells for this setting would be based purely on skills. In other words you wouldn't have to pay character points for the spells, you'd only have to buy the skill. In order to cast a Shamanist spell you would need the Power Skill “Shamanist Magic.” To cast a spell you take a –1 penalty to your casting per 10 active points in the spell but you reduce the penalty by one for each -1/4 worth of limitations on the spell. There are three branches of magic: Shamanist, Sorcery and White Magic. In order to cast any spell you must have the proper Power Skill and they cannot be used at a penalty to cast any other magic. However there is no restriction to keep you from buying two, or all three, skills.

The Spell limitation in this case means that you can only cast a spell if you have learned it somewhere. You cannot simply cast a fireball spell upon acquiring the Sorcery Skill. You need the skill and you need to have learned the spell. The GM might let you start the game with some previously learned spells but acquiring the spells through role-play can be very rewarding as well. How long it takes to learn a spell is up to your gaming group to decide. In the Slayers stories some of the characters pick up new spells simply by seeing someone else cast them a time or two. If you want your character to be able to figure out spells like this then Analyze Magic Skill is probably the best way to model it. The tried and true method of finding someone to teach you a spell, or finding a spell book, are probably the most common method of expanding a character’s spell arsenal.

It should also be noted that throughout the stories characters often improvise with spells that they know well. They add certain special effects (for instance an Elmekia Lance spell with an Area Effect Explosion). Such modification of spells could be handled in two different ways: (1) Increase the Skill Roll penalty by one per +1/4 Advantage or, (2) base the new penalty on the new Active Point cost. Personally I’d probably tack on an additional one or two point of penalty to reflect the unorthodox nature of such a casting. The additional penalty could be eliminated once the character became used to their new version of the spell.

Incantations and Gestures seem to be something that are required for just about any spells. Gestures may be something that can be skipped for certain spells (GMs call) but Incantations seem to be universally required for all spells.

Many of the spells below can be cast in stronger or weaker forms. The DC of the attack can be boosted or decreased. In most cases you should allow a character to no more than double the DC of an attack. Remember that the active point cost, END cost and Skill Roll penalty will all increase. You should never let an obviously weak spell be boosted up to the point that it can compete with a Dragon Slave or other truly powerful spell.

Just as spells can have advantages added to boost their effect (at the cost of a greater Skill Roll penalty), many spells can be made easier by the addition of more limitations. Longer casting time and concentration are ones that seem to be used often. Most of the time when a spell is cast only the name of the spell needs to be spoken to fulfill the incantation requirement but some spells have longer, optional, incantations. When I know the longer incantation, I will include it with the spell description. Using the full incantation seems to be a big help. My suggestion is that when a character uses the full incantation they be given an additional +2 bonus to their Skill Roll. (Optionally if the player recites the incantation, in character, at the gaming table give them a +3 bonus). ;)

I will be working through the spell list in alphabetical order. The first four are below. As I get more spells done I will post them in this thread. Eventually I will get bored of this, or I will finish the list.

Aqua Create

Major Transform 3 1/2d6 (Earth to Water, evaporation) (55 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Limited Range (16"; -1/4)

Common, Shamanist [Water]. Skill Roll -0.

This spells causes a jet of water to rise from the ground at the target point. Anything at the target point becomes immediately soaked. Since this will generally convert a hex of dirt into water, creatures who wish to avoid getting wet must Dive For Cover to avoid the column of water. Once called into being, the water will remain after the spell has ended. Once the water evaporates it returns to earth as a fine dust which is normally indiscernible from normally occurring dust.

Assha Dist:

(Total: 110 Active Cost, 32 Real Cost) Drain BODY 6d6, Limited Range 16" (+1/4), Affects Desolidified (+1/2) (105 Active Points); Limited Power Only Works On The Undead (-1 1/2), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 30) plus Change Environment Light 1" radius (5 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Instant (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

White[Good, Light]. Skill Roll -2.

This spell causes the target to be engulfed in a divine light the flash of light only provides illumination for a Phase at most and is harmless to non-undead creatures. However the light is extremely painful to unnatural creatures such as undead. Any undead creature targeted by the spell will be destroyed by the divine energy of the spell. This spell can be increased to a maximum of 10d6 of Drain.

Using the conversions from BESM it says that this spell should attack the EGO instead of the BODY, however the description makes it pretty clear that undead take physical damage from it and can be destroyed so I made it a BODY drain instead.

Astral Break:

Drain BODY 7d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (105 Active Points); Limited Power Only Works On Creatures Susceptible To Astral Attacks (-1), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Shaminsit [Astral]. Skill Roll -2.

This spell summons a swirling ball of astral power that hurdles towards the target. If the creature is susceptible to astral attacks then great damage can be inflicted.

Another spell that Reality Storm says should attack the EGO, but since it has to potential to seriously harm and/or kill I made it into a BODY drain as well.

Astral Vine

(Total: 221 Active Cost, 75 Real Cost) HKA 2 1/2d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, ; +1/4), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (110 Active Points); OAF (Weapon; -1), Spell (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 37) plus FF (18 PD/18 ED/12 Mental Defense/6 Flash Defense: Hearing Group/6 Flash Defense: Sight Group) (Protect Carried Items), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, ; +1/4) (105 Active Points); OAF (Weapon; -1), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 35) plus Endurance Reserve (63 END, 0 REC) Reserve: (6 Active Points); OAF (Weapon; -1), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4); REC: (0 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3)

Shamanist [Astral]. Skill Roll -12.

This spell enhances a melee weapon making it almost as powerful as the legendary Sword of Light. A weapon thus empowered becomes an enchanted weapon capable of harming Mazoku and desolid creatures. In addition the weapon can be used to intercept and render harmless spells targeted at the caster. The spell is a tricky and difficult one to cast but fortunately it is normally cast out of combat when the caster can spend extra time and concentrate without too much risk, thus making the Skill Roll much easier.

When the spell is cast the caster feeds END into the END reserve of the spell. As the weapon is used in combat this END will be used until the END reserve is exhausted. If the END reserve becomes exhausted the spell ends and must be recast. However before the spell ends the caster can spend an attack action to feed more END into the reserve. Such END must come from the casters own END reserve.

The empowered weapon will only use as much END as is required generally this means the full 11 END cost with attacks (unless the user chooses to inflict a lesser amount of damage) and the Force Field will only use 1 point of END per 5 active points of attack that it protects against (or its maximum of 10 END whichever is less). However the END will be used per attack intercepted so a volley of multiple spells can rapidly drain the END from the weapon.

This was a very tricky write-up. I could have made the spell intercept ability a missile deflection or a force wall. In the end I went with the force field since it seemed to work best as I picture the spell. As long as the weapon user is aware of the attack and interposes the weapon between himself and the attacker it will intercept the harmful spell.

This also forces me to introduce some sort of END reserve rules for the setting. In my opinion spell casters should be allowed to buy personal END reserves to power their spells. I think that the GM should allow pretty liberal END amounts and/or REC for that END reserve. My own idea would be END Reserves with as much as a 10:1 ratio or as little as a 5:1 ratio. Characters in the Slayers get exhausted in spell combat but it seems to take a effort to exhaust them and they seem to recover pretty quickly.

EDIT: I am building these into a HDv3 Prefab as I go along. Once there are enough spells to make it worth while I will post the prefab.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Slayers Magic Spells

Here are the next five spells.

Balus Rod

(Total: 39 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) HA +3d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (19 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), STR Minimum 5 (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus Stretching 1" (5 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Only To Cause Damage With Force Tendrils (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) for up to 19 Active Points of HA; Requires An EGO Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -1 1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus +3 with Balus Rod (Real Cost: 6)

Shamanist [Force]. Skill Roll -0.

This spell causes a whip of light to appear in the casters hand which can then be used to strike at foes. This is a simple and relatively weak spell that cannot be boosted above 5d6 base damage. The Balus Rod has a chance to effect Desolid Creatures (ghosts, Mazoku) if the caster can beat the foe in an EGO vs EGO roll. Upon the first attack against such a foe make the roll, if the caster wins his weapon will always affect that specific foe, if the opponent wins he will be forever immune from that particular cast of the spell.

The BESM material and the Slayers d20 rules disagree about the exact effects of this spell. In this cases I followed the effect listed in BESM version since it was the easiest to convert.

Balus Wall

FW (5 PD/5 ED; 2" long and 1" tall) (27 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Total: 39 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost).

The caster calls forth a transparent wall of force that stops all physical and engergy attacks, mundane or magical. The wall will stop outgoing attacks as well. The caster can normally create stronger or weaker forcewalls and can also choose to increase their area of coverage. Just adjust the size and strength at the time of casting.

In this case the Slayers D20 material says the wall will stop all attacks. The BESM material says it works only against fire. I chose to go with the D20 write-up on this one.

Behfis Bring

Tunneling 2" through 6 DEF material (22 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Shamanist [Earth]. Skill Roll -0.

The caster touches the ground and is able to tunnel through earth or stone at about 12 feet per PHA. Clever casters can use this to open up a pit beneath an opponent. This spell can be increased in area (inches of tunneling) easily but the GM should probably limit the amount of extra DEF a caster is able to buy.

Blam Blazer EDIT: Added the Incantation.

“You, who floats in eternity and infinity; Origin of all hearts

Gather to my hands and be a flash of light;

Get rid of the deep darkness! BLAM BLAZER!”

EB 3d6, NND (Mental Defense, Force Field or Forcewall; +1/2), Does BODY (+1) (37 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

This spell creates a shimmering ball of blue energy that hurtles towards the target. Upon impact it releases this energy into the target hurting both body and soul.

Blam Gush

“Wind which blows across eternity, gather in my hand and become my strength.”

EB 7d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Of Effect (11" Cone; +1) (87 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)

Shamanist [Force]. Skill Roll -5.

The spell creates a jet of force, upon reaching the target hex it flares into a swirling cone that destroys everything in its path. This is a strong spell and thus it has a significant Skill Roll penalty but in this case we do have the full incantation to make it a bit easier (see post #1 in this thread).

An annoying spell to convert since the BESM and D20 tomes give differing descriptions. This version is based on the D20 write-up. The BESM version says that the spell, “calls forth a javelin of force that the caster uses to strike a single target.” I went with the more powerful D20 version.

Next up will be Blast Ash, the first Sorcery spell that I've come to going alphabetically. I just counted and there are 111 spells in the books that I have. I just finished number 9. :eek: I got a long way to go. I wonder if I will get done, get bored or get discouraged first?

Five more so I am up to 14 of 113 (yep, I got data for two more).

Blast Ash

Drain BODY 6d6, Limited Range (12"; +1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (135 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Spell (-1/2), Limited Power Only Affects Creatures With Souls (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Sorcery. Skill Roll -5.

This spell calls forth a stream of dark energy which drains the life force from its target. Those slain by the power are reduced to ash.

The BESM conversion of this would have been very costly (a drain of STR, DEX and CON) but it wouldn’t have been deadly which the spell description makes clear (victims are reduced to ash). Again the D20 and BESM write-ups diverged wildly. The BESM version has a huge AE and the D20 version produced a “stream” that only affects a single target. I pretty much just build something that I thought captured the spirit of the spell.

Blast Bomb

Drain STR 3 1/2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (87 Active Points); Limited Power Force Wall Or Force Field Offer Complete Protection (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Sorcery [Astral]. Skill Roll -3.

When the Blast Bomb bursts all creatures within the area of effect have their Strength drained by the effects.

This one is unique in that it does not appear in any of the BESM Slayers material. It only exists in the D20 Slayers book so I had to wing it based wholly on the spell description. My research indicates that this spell is never actually seen in the anime but it is mentioned so the effects were probably a guess on the part of the people at Guardians of Order (RIP).

Bomb Di Wind

Change Environment 8" radius (16" long and 2" wide Line; +1/4), +8 Points of Telekinetic STR (55 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Shamanist [Air]. Skill Roll -1.

The caster creates strong gusts of wind that move outward in a line from the caster. Small creatures can be blown down and larger creatures must work to move against the wind. In some cases casters have used this spell to propell sailing ships.

Bomb Sprid

(Total: 50 Active Cost, 28 Real Cost) EB 3d6, Explosion (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) plus Sight Group Flash 3d6, Explosion (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) plus +3 with Bomb Sprid (Real Cost: 6)

Shamanist [Fire]. Skill Roll -1.

This spell is a sort of mini-fireball. It does little damage but is very accurate and effective at temporarly blinding foes.

Boo Brymer

Summon 150-point Stone Golem, Expanded Class of Beings Any Type Of Stone Golems (+1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (67 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Shamanist [Earth]. Skill Roll -3.

This spell enables the caster to call forth a Stone Golem or group of Golems from nearby earth or rock. The Golem is typically strong and tough but specifics are left to the player and GM to determine. The caster can choose to summon a number of lesser Golems instead of the single powerful one. Such summoned Golems, though not particularly bright, are completely loyal to their summoner.

The next five should be: Boo Brymer Special, Buday Wind, Burst Flare, Burst Rondo and Change Earth. This is not as easy as I had hoped it would be. Since the D20 book and the BESM stuff are often at odds with each other that's a problem. Often I am finding that a spell will list its BESM effects and if you use the conversion given in Reality Storm you end up with an effect that does not match the description. The end result is that I am often having to use what feels right instead of what is technically correct. Lastly the END cost for the spells are all over the place. Once I am finished I may have to go back and tweak the END cost for various spells to make things even out better.

If you are familiar with the Slayers then you will realize that it is a setting that features outrageously powerful magic. But it is also fairly comedic. The information below is very bare bones and very much a work in progress. Please feel free to offer input and criticism.

I like what I se so far.

Astral Vine

(Total: 221 Active Cost, 75 Real Cost) HKA 2 1/2d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, ; +1/4), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (110 Active Points); OAF (Weapon; -1), Spell (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 37) plus FF (18 PD/18 ED/12 Mental Defense/6 Flash Defense: Hearing Group/6 Flash Defense: Sight Group) (Protect Carried Items), Hardened (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, ; +1/4) (105 Active Points); OAF (Weapon; -1), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 35) plus Endurance Reserve (63 END, 0 REC) Reserve: (6 Active Points); OAF (Weapon; -1), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4); REC: (0 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3)

Shamanist [Astral]. Skill Roll -12.

This spell enhances a melee weapon making it almost as powerful as the legendary Sword of Light. A weapon thus empowered becomes an enchanted weapon capable of harming Mazoku and desolid creatures. In addition the weapon can be used to intercept and render harmless spells targeted at the caster. The spell is a tricky and difficult one to cast but fortunately it is normally cast out of combat when the caster can spend extra time and concentrate without too much risk, thus making the Skill Roll much easier.

When the spell is cast the caster feeds END into the END reserve of the spell. As the weapon is used in combat this END will be used until the END reserve is exhausted. If the END reserve becomes exhausted the spell ends and must be recast. However before the spell ends the caster can spend an attack action to feed more END into the reserve. Such END must come from the casters own END reserve.

The empowered weapon will only use as much END as is required generally this means the full 11 END cost with attacks (unless the user chooses to inflict a lesser amount of damage) and the Force Field will only use 1 point of END per 5 active points of attack that it protects against (or its maximum of 10 END whichever is less). However the END will be used per attack intercepted so a volley of multiple spells can rapidly drain the END from the weapon.

This was a very tricky write-up. I could have made the spell intercept ability a missile deflection or a force wall. In the end I went with the force field since it seemed to work best as I picture the spell. As long as the weapon user is aware of the attack and interposes the weapon between himself and the attacker it will intercept the harmful spell.

This also forces me to introduce some sort of END reserve rules for the setting. In my opinion spell casters should be allowed to buy personal END reserves to power their spells. I think that the GM should allow pretty liberal END amounts and/or REC for that END reserve. My own idea would be END Reserves with as much as a 10:1 ratio or as little as a 5:1 ratio. Characters in the Slayers get exhausted in spell combat but it seems to take a effort to exhaust them and they seem to recover pretty quickly.

I feel like I've re-invented the wheel on this one. In Inheritance Anya's trump-card spell, Golden Blade, has effects similar to this one. The main difference is that it is a Chaos Spell, calling directly upon the power of LON, making it more powerful but less reliabler (i.e. it only works when L-sama wants it to).

EDIT: I am building these into a HDv3 Prefab as I go along. Once there are enough spells to make it worth while I will post the prefab.

I SO want that Prefab! ;)

There is one Slayers non-spell item that would be difficult for you to convert because it never appeared in the anime, but is fairly important. That is the Blast Blade, the sword Gourry ended picking up in the novels to replace the lost Sword of Light. It's main characteristic is that it is almost infinitely sharp, sharp enough to cut through astral beings as well as just about all physical objects. So sharp that Lina needed to cast a dulling spell to prevent it from destroying its sheath. It's unclear how to write something like that up, and of course the GOO supplements are no help.

A few other spells that won't show up in the GOO books but are useful;

Decleary: A sort of Universal antitoxin, when cast on a person this purges their systems of all intoxicants and other harmful drugs. This will usually awaken an unconscious person (although she won't necessarily remain awake if the first thing she sees challenges the fundamental nature of reality, as Naga discovered).

Demona Crystal: Freezes a door, a portion of a wall, or other inanimate object, making it do brittle that it is reduced to effectively 1 BODY. Useful for getting through locked doors or castle walls, particularly when subtlety is not a concern -- one good kick and the barrier shatters noisily before you.

Demona Crystal is written up in the D20 Slayers guide so I've at least got some place to start with it.

As for the Blast Blade and the Decleary spell I'll just have to research them at some point. Which novel does the Blast Blade appear in? I am guessing it is one of the later, un-translated, volumes. Perhaps I can find some good info on the web.

Demona Crystal is written up in the D20 Slayers guide so I've at least got some place to start with it.

As for the Blast Blade and the Decleary spell I'll just have to research them at some point. Which novel does the Blast Blade appear in? I am guessing it is one of the later, un-translated, volumes. Perhaps I can find some good info on the web.

Yes, it would eb the laters ones.

You can see Decleary in action in the OVA episode "The Terrifying Chimera Plan", along with an example of why cloning an army of Nagas is a bad idea.

Here are the next 5:

Boo Brymer II

Minor Transform 6d6 (Natural Stone Into Inanimate Stone Object), Improved Results Group (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Shamanist [Earth]. Skill Roll -2.

This is essentially a different use of the Boo Brymer spell. In this case instead of animating rock and stone to form a golem the caster causes a rock formation to reshape itself into the desired form. The caster must touch rock that is clearly a part of the formation to be transformed. Since average stone has 19 BODY per hex this spell can easily transform an entire hex of solid rock.

This spell is listed as Boo Brymer Special in the BESM materials but it doesn’t appear in the D20 book.

Buday Wind

Energy Blast 7d6, Area Of Effect (15" Cone; +1 1/4) (79 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Shamanist [Air]. Skill Roll -2.

This spell allows the caster to send forth a strong burst of wind which will affect all targets in a cone emanating from the caster. The winds so generated are capable of destroying non-fortified buildings, wagons and such.

7d6 may seem weak but it is an area of effect buildings will take that attack to each hex of area. Since standard walls are usually 3 or 4 DEF with 3 BODY most normal building will take a beating.

The two books disagree on the spelling. The other option is Budey Wind.

Burst Flare

"Source of all power, crimson fire burning bright, gather in my hand and become an inferno! BURST FLARE!"

Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6+1, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (150 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

Sorcery [Fire/Heat]. Skill Roll -10.

With this very powerful spell the caster causes a burst of intense white-hot flames to surround the target reducing them to ash. This spell is most often used with the full incantation which will help reduce the Skill Roll penalty by an additional 2 or 3.

Burst Rondo

(Total: 50 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Energy Blast 2d6, Area Of Effect (4" Any Area; +1 1/2) (25 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (16"; -1/4) (Real Cost: 11) plus Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 1d6, Area Of Effect (4" Any Area; +1 1/2) (25 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (16"; -1/4) (Real Cost: 11)

Sorcery. Skill Roll -0.

The caster fires numerous small balls of mystical energy which burst next to the target(s). The effect causes little damage but it can be distracting and very frightening to those not used to magic. The mystical energy can appear as streamers of black energy, small red balls of flame, tiny white points of light or similar sorts of things.

Change Earth

"Earth below, heed my command!"

Minor Transform 3d6 (Adjusts Hardness And Mositure Content Of Earth Or Rock), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Shamanist [Earth]. Skill Roll -2.

This spell can be used to make minor changes to the ground surface at range. The amount of change is slight. For instance normal earth can be transformed to mud or soft stone, soft stone could be changed to normal earth or hardened to granite, mud could be changed into normal earth, etc. The effects are not very deep, if it is assumed that a hex of earth has 19 BODY (the same as stone) then the depth of change only extends to a depth of about three feet. The spell can create a mire to slow your foes of be used to get a wagon easily past a muddy patch.

I will try to keep it at five spells per post. Hopefully I can maintain a pace of one post per day. The next on the list will be: Chaotic Disintegrate, Clone, Concealment, Cure Blindness or Deafness and Dam Brass/Damu Bras.

One of the odd things I have been encountering is that the D20 Slayers book seems to introduce some spells that I have never seen listed elsewhere, the Concealment and Curative spell are cases in point. I think that they decided to add such spells to better balance the magic system.

One of the odd things I have been encountering is that the D20 Slayers book seems to introduce some spells that I have never seen listed elsewhere' date=' the Concealment and Curative spell are cases in point. I think that they decided to add such spells to better balance the magic system.[/quote']

Well, since in the Slayers anime the greatest emphasis is on the flashy battle magics, getting a balanced list for RPG purposes might be hard. The only two healing spells to see regular use in the anime were Recovery and Resurrection.

Which is NOT Raise Dead.. It is specified quite clearly in the anime that you cannot bring someone back from the dead in the Slayers universe and it is the height of madness to try. Only LON herself and the highest-level Mazoku have any power over life and death, and it is generally considered unwise to ask them for favors.

The BESM and D20 books both make it clear that Resurrection can bring someone back who is dead, but only if death occured in the last few minutes. My take on this is that it is a lot like modern medicine. You can restart the heart but if brain death has occured its over.

Here is the next group of five:

Chaotic Disintegrate

“Manaku Soromu Zanaku Sakurimu!”

Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (120 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Limited Power Effectiveness Is Halved Against Good Aligned Creatures (-1/4)

White [Holy]. Skill Roll -6.

The caster fires a beam of pure white divine power to strike the target. Most lesser evil creatures will be disintegrated. (What constitutes evil and good are up to the GM). Incorporeal creatures and even Mazoku are venerable to this spell. The spell is know only by the Golden Dragons of the Temple of Ceiphied in the Outer World. This spell was most likely invented specifically for fighting Mazoku. More powerful casters can cast more powerful versions but realistically the cap on damage should be around 20 DC (6 1/2d6 RKA).

This should probably be a spell from a fourth college; Holy Magic. Holy magic is similar to white magic but more powerful and is known only by the above mentioned Golden Dragons.

Clone

Summon 100-point Copy of Original Being (20 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, -4), OAF Immobile Fragile Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; Copy Cultivator, Tissue Sample & Expensive Consumables; -3 1/4), Spell (-1/2)

Sorcery. Skill Roll -0.

This is the spell whereby a copy of a being can be made. It is probably best used as a plot devise rather than a spell that a player character will use. The process of creating a copy is complex and a closely guarded secret known only by members of certain sorcerer guilds. It is an expensive process with exacting requirements. The process of making a copy seems to be very closely related to the process of making a chimera.

First off the caster needs a Copy Cultivator. These are invariably huge, unmovable pieces of arcane equipment. Despite their size they are surprisingly delicate and tricky to maintain. A character that operates one should probably have one or more special skills (specifics are left up to the GM).

Creating a copy is a process that can not be rushed. It takes “a day and a night” to make a copy (a full 24 hours). If the process is rushed the copy will either be a complete failure or something greatly weakened will result. In a mishap in the Slayers anime an army of tiny (6” tall) copies of Lina and Gourry resulted, each with the mentality of a toddler. Each of the tiny copies later disappeared in puffs of smoke.

The process also requires expensive consumables (exact materials are a trade secret). As a result if you manage to hire someone to make a copy for you they will likely charge a small fortune. However in some cases you can get a free copy made by volunteering some of your genetic material for experimentation. Note that this is rarely a good idea!

The last requirement is often the easiest to obtain. You must have a tissue sample from the original to make a copy. This sample can be quite small, a few strands of hair, nail clippings, a drop of blood, etc. This means that if you have a large tissue sample you can potentially make a large number of copies. It also seems to be about as costly to make multiple copies at once as it is to make a single copy. Having numerous copies of a single being running around poses problems that most sane people don’t want to face.

Copies have all the memories that the original had at the time the tissue sample left the original. By default copies are created with the knowledge that they are not the original though it might be possible for a copy creator to hide this knowledge from the copy.

In the case of normal people it is possible to create a copy that has the full skills and abilities of the original. Therefore any copy of a competent normal (50 points plus 50 points of disadvantage) or less will be a perfect duplicate.

Difficulties arise when a copy is made of a more powerful being though (any character of greater than 100 total points). If a copy of a more powerful being is made any points over 100 will be halved. For example if you try to make a copy of a 232 point character the copy will have 100+(132/2)=166 points. Where points are deducted to make up for this deficit are up to the GM or the PC if the player is the creator. A copy can never exceed the original in any way. If an original has an Acrobatics 14- skill then the copy can only have it at that level or less.

Copies of powerful beings almost always are perfect as far as physical characteristics are concerned but they may have lesser mental characteristics (INT, EGO and to a lesser degree PRE).

A copy can only be made with tissue samples from the original. For reasons not clearly understood a copy can not be made from tissue obtained from a copy.

The spell above is geared toward making copies of normal creatures (100 points or less) if you need a more powerful copy just add more active points.

Concealment

Mystic Group Images 1" radius, +/-5 to PER Rolls, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Week (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Mobile (+1) (70 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Set Effect (Only Be Invisible To Clairvoyance; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

White. Skill Roll -0.

When cast upon an item or character the subject is hidden from magical observation (generally this is Clairvoyance of some sort). Once cast the END expended in the spell can not be recovered until the spell expires or the caster cancels it.

A determined scryer can overcome the concealment by buying PER bonuses to their Clairvoyance spell. Likewise the caster of the Concealment spell can make the spell more effective by boosting the PER modifier in their spell. The only practical limit is who can afford the more costly spell and therefore make the associated Skill Roll needed to cast it.

Cure Blindness or Deafness

Healing BODY 8d6+1 (standard effect: 25 points) (83 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Restore Eyesight Or Hearing (-1), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

White. Skill Roll -0.

This spell will not restore eyes or ears that have been destroyed or removed. It can only be used to restore function to those organs that are damaged (but intact) or magically altered (drained, transformed, etc.). Eyesight is a 25 point ability and hearing is 20 points (see pages 350-351 of 5ER). Spells to heal other senses can be built in a similar fashion.

This spell appears only in the D20 Slayers materials.

Damu Bras

Energy Blast 7d6 (35 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Sorcery [sonic]. Skill Roll -0.

With this spell the sorcerer hurls a brilliant red ball of energy at the target. Upon impact it shatters and the power released vibrates the target to pieces.

The spell is also sometimes translated as “Dam Brass.”

The next five will be: Dark Mist, Dash, Demona Crystal, Di Flasher & Diem Wind.

An interesting thing that I have noted in my research is that the anime really ramps-up the power level of the spells. I guess this was done for visual effect. As an example the infamous Dragon Slave has wiped out entire towns in the anime. In the novels it has power roughly on par with a bazooka. That's more logical when you think about it. A dragon or dinosaur would probably be easily killed by a bazooka, no need to destroy an entire town. In the novels Lina is much more careful about casting the Dragon Slave and only once casts it while in a town. In that case it destroys the entire upper floor of a moderate-sized building. Still I guess the spells that I write-up will be based on the power level of the anime since that is how the D20 and BESM material portrays it.

BTW in my research thus far, this is the most interesting Slayers site I have found. The Magic Dictionary section is great.

This has gotten more involved that I thought it would. After reviewing QP's Slayers Page I have obtained this list of spells (below) that seems to me to be more accurate that the lists from the Slayers D20 book or the Slayers BESM books.

Sorcery (Black Magic)

Asher Dist, Balus Rod, Blast Ash, Blast Wave, Dark Claw, Disfang, Dolf Stlash, Dolf Zoke, Dragon Slave, Dynast Brass, Dynast Breath, Fearis Breed, Gaav Flare, Gaiagraize, Gai Ra Dooga, Giga Slave, Gu Ru Diva, Gu Ru Dooga, Hated by Opposite Sex, Hell Blast, Kyukyum Spin, Mega Vu Vraimer, Necro Vood, Ragna Blade, Ragna Blast, Ragna Drive, Ruby Eye Blade, (Summoning), Void Breath, Vol Ga Dooga, Vu Raiwar, Vu Vraimer, Vun Ga Ruim, Zellas Brid, Zellas Goat

Shamanist, Air

Aero Bomb, Air Valm, Bomb Di Win, Bram Fang, Bram Gash, Dam Brass, Dig Volt, Diem Claw, Diem Win, Dimil Arwin, Levitation, Mono Volt, P.A. System, Raywing, Wind Brid, Windy Shield

Shamanist, Astral

Astral Break, Astral Vine, Bram Blazer, Dislash, Elmekia Flame, Elmekia Lance, Fehlzareid, Gark Ruhad, Goomehon, Goz V'row Illusion, Meteor Fall, Probing, Protect, Puppet, Ra Tilt, Raza Clover, Shadow Snap, Shadow Web, Valmaceid, Visfarank, Vision

Shamanist, Earth

Arc Brass, Bephis Bring, Bogardic Elm, Blade Haut, Dill Brand, Dug Break, Dug Haut, Dug Wave, Dyeing, Grey Bomb, Mega Brand, Strengthening, Veegasgaia

Shamanist, Fire

Abyss Flare, Balus Wall, Bamu Rod, Blast Bomb, Bomb Sprid, Burst Flare, Burst Rondo, Fire Ball, Flare Arrow, Flare Bit, Flare Lance, Flare Seal, Rune Flare, Val Flare, Vice Flare, Vlave Howl

Shamanist, Water

Aqua Breathe, Aqua Create, Dark Mist, Demona Crystal, Dust Chip, Freeze Arrow, Freeze Brid, Freeze Rain, Gray Buster, Howl Freeze, Icicle Lance, Lah Freeze, Ly Brim,

Sea Blast, Swightflang, Van Rail, Vice Freeze

White Magic

Awaking a Person, Breaking a Spell, Chaos String, Dicleary, Extball, Fishing Spell, Flow Break, Holy Bless, Lafas Sheed, Lighting, Lock, Megiddo Flare, Moth Varim, Protection Barrier, Recovery, Resurrection, Rune Breaker, Sleeping, Unlock, Vas Grood

Divine Magic

Chaotic Disintegrate, Flame Bless, Holy Resist, Ray Freeze, Roller the Road, Vrabazard Flare, Zellas Phalanx

Other Magics

Spells Related to Zenafa Armor: Attack, Break, Dissealed, Mana Conversion, Sealed, Zenaf Slade

Unclassified Spells: Boosting, Megiddo Arc, Metamorphose, Printing Patterns, Puppet, Raugnuto Rushavna, Rune Stride, Sealing a Magic Circle, Void

So before I get too far along on this project I am going to switch gears a bit. I like the layout of these spells. I like the classifications even though these do not always match those in the official game materials that Guardians of Order published. QP’s page is run by a Japanese fan but he has produced a lot of it in fairly good English. He seems to know what he is talking about and even quotes Hajime Kanzaka (the Slayers author) when explaining how things work.

I am going to digest what I have been reading and restart this project but I am going to do it based on this classification system. This means that I will start working on the Sorcery college, once it is done I’ll proceed to the first Shamanist college, etc. Many of these spells are listed in the GOO materials but many are not. And a few of the GOO spells don’t seem to have a counter-part on this new list. The spells I have already done I will let stand for now, but as I come to them on the new lists I may revisit them and do some tweaking. It seems that some of the versions that GOO did do not agree with the descriptions given on QP’s page.

This may be a pretty long-term project. If you have ever attempted something like this then you know it can occupy enormous amounts of time. It may take me a few days just to properly organize my notes. Eventually I hope accomplish something worth while.

Any comments or suggestions?

Susano, when I have the first college done I will make sure to get you a copy. I will be writing everything up in a Word document at the same time that I build the prefabs.

I started out on a quest to build the Slayers Magic spells in Hero. I am rapidly finding that to rationalize the magic I am building that I will have to come up with some guidelines on how various creatures from the Slayers setting should be built so that the spells I am building will interact with then in the way they are intended to. So here are some note from my ongoing experiments. As always comments, positive or negative, as long as they are constructive are welcomed.

Notes to Maintain System Rational – Slayers Hero

Mazoku, Ghosts and Desolid Creatures

Mazoku are normally bought as desolid creatures. This makes them dreadfully expensive but it is the only effective way to represent their invulnerability to certain spells and most mundane missile and melee weapons. Spells that are able to affect Mazoku are bought with the Affects Desolid advantage.

Ghosts and Spirits are incorporeal beings that also built as desolid creatures. Often only magical weapons and certain spells are effective against them. The desolid of ghosts and spirts and the desolid of the Mazoku are two different forms of desolid. Some spells will be able to affect both creatures and will be bought with the advantage Affects Desolid Any Form of Desolid (+1/2). Spells that only affect ghosts and spirits will be bought with the advantage Affects Desolid One Special Effect Of Desolidification (+1/4).

In essence Mazoku have a more powerful form of Desolid that requires a +1/2 Advantage to affect and ghost have a weaker form that requires only a +1/4 Advantage to affect. In any case a spell that can affect Mazoku will be able to affect ghosts and spirits.

Undead Creatures

Vampires, mummies, ghost and other undead creatures appear in the Slayers setting with alarming frequency. In Slayers Hero it might be best to build these creatures as automations. Often when such creatures are slain in combat they are utterly destroyed. They are either reduced to dust; disappear in a puff of smoke; or otherwise leave no corpse behind. For instance in an episode of the anime the Asher Dist spell is used by Lina to reduce a vampire to ash with a single hit.

OPTION 1: One way to make this work is to build such monsters as automations. In this way they will be hard to kill normally, because many will have the same sort of desolid construction that ghosts do. In the case of corporeal undead they will be desolid only verses attacks (so yes they will be expensive builds). However when you hit them with something that they are vulnerable to it won’t take too much to utterly destroy them. Stake a vampire through the heart and the 10-12 BODY damage will destroy the automation which then turns to dust as a default SFX.

OPTION 2: Instead of building such all such creatures as automations I could just give some of them a Physical Limitation that states they are immediately slain upon reaching 0 BODY.

Currently I am leaning toward OPTION 2 since it will obviate the need to involve the automation rules for every type of undead. After all an undead with free will (like a vampire) seems like it shouldn't be an automation. Critters like zombies and golems would probably still be best as automations.

BTW the spells are progressing. I have come up with a neat format in Word that I like with hyperlinked text and such. I think its pretty snazzy. I'll probably convert it to acrobat when I am ready to post so that everyone can read it and I won't have to wreck my formatting job. I only have the first four Sorcery spells done. I have been spending a lot of time reading and rethinking things.

This is rapidly becoming a forum for me to post things that I am working on just to see if anybody has anything to say about it. Anyway my latest observations are posted below.

Hit Locations

By default spells do not use the Hit Location tables. However a few select spells do grant the option use hit locations tables as part of their attack. Spells that allow the use of hit locations will have this information noted in their spell description. For instance the Dark Claw spell allows the user great flexibility in how it is aimed. In addition to allowing the caster to use hit locations the spell also grants penalty skill levels to offset hit location modifiers.

Magical Skills, Talents, Perks and Colleges

Since the Point Costs associated with many of the spells of Slayer Hero are so high I have opted to use a purely skill-based magic system. Characters do not have to buy their spells. Instead buying the skill, talent and perk needed to cast the spells is the only expense.

There are several colleges of magic in Slayers Hero: Sorcery (or Black Magic), Shamanistic (further divided into five elements), White Magic and Divine Magic. In order to cast a spell from particular college a caster has to have the skill and perk associated with that college of magic. The magic skills do not default to each other in any way. If a character has the Sorcery Skill and no other magic skills then Sorcery Spells will be the only sort of magic that they can use. Magic Skills are all Characteristic-based skills the characteristic needed will be either INT or EGO depending on the college. Specifics about the magic skills are found with the write-up of each spell college.

Two things are required for a character who hopes to be able to wield the power of magic. First they have to have a natural talent or gift. If this were not the case the world would quickly be overrun with people using magic. Though the characters of the Slayers anime all use magic (except Gourry) they are far from the norm. This conjecture is supported by the reaction of normal people to magic. The vast majority of people that the Slayers encounter in everyday life are not capable of using magic and react with alarm and surprise when they see magic being used. Most people know about magic and know to be wary of it. In addition to natural talent a prospective magic-user must have training although a person with great talent or intelligence can self-teach to some extent.

The inborn talent to use magic is represented by the purchasing one of two different Talents: Latent Magic-user (5 Points) or Awakened Magic-user (10 points). (If you are using Hero Designer simply buy these as Custom Talents with no skill roll). If a character ever wishes to be able to cast magic spells they must at least buy the Latent Magic-user talent.

The talent Latent Magic-user means that the character has the potential to learn magic but they haven’t yet. Though the potential is there they have never studied or attempted to use magic and until they awaken they can progress no further. Most latent characters are aware of their potential but as to why they sense this nobody knows. The specifics are left up the GM to decide how, or if, this works in their campaign.

A character with the talent Awakened Magic-user is fully capable of learning the skills and buying the perks required to master magic. They are active magic-users.

In order to learn the magic skill for a particular college of magic a character must buy the perk associated with it. The table below lists the perks, their costs and what they grant.

Sorcerer: The character can buy the Sorcery Skill which enables them to use Sorcery (Black Magic). The character can also learn any sorcery spell provided they have a method. Cost = 10 points.

Shamanist (1 element): The character can buy the Shamanist Skill but can only use the skill with spells from one of the five elements. The element must be chosen when the perk is bought and it cannot be changed but the character can later upgrade this perk to one of the more costly Shamanist Perks. Cost = 2 Points.

Shamanist (2 elements): The character can buy the Shamanist Skill but can only use the skill with spells from two of the five elements. The elements must be chosen when the perk is bought and it cannot be changed but the character can later upgrade this perk to one of the more costly Shamanist Perks. Cost = 4 Points.

Shamanist (3 elements): The character can buy the Shamanist Skill but can only use the skill with spells from three of the five elements. The elements must be chosen when the perk is bought and it cannot be changed but the character can later upgrade this perk to one of the more costly Shamanist Perks. Cost = 6 Points.

Shamanist (4 elements): The character can buy the Shamanist Skill but can only use the skill with spells from four of the five elements. The elements must be chosen when the perk is bought and it cannot be changed but the character can later upgrade this perk to one of the more costly Shamanist Perks. Cost = 8 Points.

Shamanist (all elements): The character can buy the Shamanist Skill and can use that skill with any Shamanist spell regardless of its element. Cost = 10 Points.

Priest, Priestess or Shrine Maiden: The character can buy the White Magic Skill which enables them to use those spells. The character can also learn any White Magic spell provided they have a method. Cost = 5 Points.

Divinity: The character can buy Divine Skill which enables them to use spells of the Divine college. No character can have this Perk and the Sorcerer Perk. This perk will generally only come into play if you have a character playing the part of a Gold Dragon. The Divine College of magic is unknown to humans. Cost = 10 Points.

A reasonable argument could be made that if you buy the Divinity perk you should automatically gain access to all White Magic too. I am still thinking that one over.

As far as I have been able to determine there is no reason why a character cannot buy the perks for various magical colleges. Most mundane NPC magic-users restrict themselves to a single college but important NPCs and PCs should not be restricted in this manner. In fact many of the principle Slayers characters know spells from multiple colleges. Lina herself knows spells of Sorcery, Shamanism and even a White magic spell or two. It should probably be uncommon for a character to have perks from both Sorcery and White Magic since in many ways these are diametrically opposed colleges. Divine Magic may actually be a stronger version of White Magic but for purposes of this game they are considered separate colleges. Divine magic is essentially unknown within the Mazoku barrier. The only human users of Divine magic (if there are any) will be from the Outside World. But then magic of any sort seems quite a bit rarer beyond the barrier. In reality it is probably only members of the Golden Dragon race that have access to Divine magic.

Magic Skills and Learning Magic

Once a character has the proper talent and perks the next thing they need to do is learn the skills and spells to make their abilities complete. As mentioned previously a character must have the right Spell Skill to cast spells. The skills are:

Sorcery: for 3 points the character gets a base roll of 9+(EGO/5). For each additional 2 points the base roll is increased by one. This skill is required to cast any spell from the Sorcery College.

Shamanism: for 3 points the character gets a base roll of 9+(INT/5). For each additional 2 points the base roll is increased by one. This skill is required to cast any spell from the Shamanist College (any element).

White Magic: for 3 points the character gets a base roll of 9+(EGO/5). For each additional 2 points the base roll is increased by one. This skill is required to cast any spell from the White Magic or Divine Magic Colleges.

All spell write-ups in this system have the Limitation Spell (-1/2). In part this is because in order to use a spell a character must know that spell. Characters will be required to keep a written list of the spells that their characters know. To lean a spell there are three possible methods.

1. Master and Apprentice Method: This is probably the most common method of learning spells. Someone else teaches you the spell. In some cases this is a single master with a single pupil and in others it is a class of pupils being taught by a master of a magic-user academy of sorts (for example a Sorcerer’s Guild). To learn a spell by this method the character simply devotes the required time and then makes a roll against the proper Magic Skill (Sorcery, Shamanism or White Magic). Success indicates that the character has learned the spell and can now add it to his list. The success roll is modified by the spell’s Spell Mod (see the spell write-up). The character's teacher can compliment this roll with his PS: Instructor Skill (as long as he has that skill). The base time to learn a spell is 6 hours and modifiers for taking more or less time are applicable (see the Time Chart and Skill Modifiers on page 45 of 5ER). Other skill modifiers may be applied by the GM as she sees fit. Note that in a relaxed learning environment it is not uncommon for an instructor to split-up the 6 hours of learning time over two or three days. Thus learning 20 spells in a guild academy may take a character months and that doesn't include taking off weekends, having to take extra time on failed rolls and doing whatever else they choose to require in return for schooling you.
  2. Book Learning: This involves studying a text (scroll, spell book, Claire Bible, etc.) in which the spell is written and described. The base time is 1 day and standard modifiers may apply. The quality of the text also should be included as a modifier. A half decayed and poorly written scroll would probably impose a penalty of -1 to -3 whereas a high quality text could grant a bonus of +1 to +3 (the Claire Bible would probably be a +5). Of course the Spell Mod of the spell will impose a penalty on this roll.
  3. Learn by Watching: In order to do this the character will need the Analyze Magic Skill. They will need to see the spell cast by someone. The character makes their Analyze Magic Skill roll and if they succeed this will become a complimentary roll to the Magic Skill when they roll to learn the spell. Failing the Analyze Magic roll means the character didn't get absorb enough insight to attempt to learn the spell, this time. Even using this method the character will need time to reflect on what they have seen in order to decipher the complexity of the spell. The base time is 6 hours. If the character witnesses the spell in use again, and passes another Analyze Magic Skill roll they gain a +1 bonus in addition to whichever Analyze roll gave them the best results. Once again the Spell Mod of the spell will impose a penalty on this roll.

If a character fails his roll to learn the spell they fail and may try again once conditions improve (generally more time passes, they get a different instructor, analyze another casting, etc.). However if a character fails his roll to learn a new spell by 4 point or more then it is much worse. This means that there is something fundamentally preventing the character from learning that spell. (For instance Lina has never been able learn Ra Tilt since she can’t seem to visualize the correct image frame in her mind). In this case the character can not try to learn that spell again unless something truly fundamental changes, something that gives them a new insight of the spell in question. The circumstances which will allow are up to the GM to determine. Simply switching learning methods isn't enough.

In some cases a character is just not able to grasp concepts of a particular variety of spells within a college. This is the case with Sylphiel and attack spells. She can’t ever seem to get a Flare Arrow spell to work properly, though she apparently is able to cast some non-attack Sorcery spells. A condition like this is probably best represented by having the character take a psychological or physical limitation as a disadvantage. Specifics on that are left up to you and the GM of your campaign.

Why can't you both host it?

Rodger Dodger

And I would like to put them into my Searchable Spells Database. ;)

The Wiki has an inbuilt search engine that works over the entire wiki.

A spell database could be built into it as well (if I get more contributers to it, interested in spells, I will look into it).

[edit]

Now done here - http://www.curufea.com/hero/doku.php?id=resources:slayers

I've not yet fixed the formatting or organised the information in the best way yet.

Once I get to the point that I am happy with the Sorcery college I will post the prefab here and in the Hero Designer Vault. I will post the documents here (probably in acrobat format) and make copies available to whoever wants them.

Once that's done I will move on Shamanist spells and the rest.

Sadly it is unlikely that I will actually get to play the setting since my gaming plate is pretty full.

Brass Demon

Here is my effort at building a Brass Demon for Slayers. Once I got to a spell that summoned one of the nasty critters I had to build one to get a point total for the summon spell. Basically if you gotta fight one and you ain't got magic you're in deep trouble. Note that Brass Demons are not true Mazoku but they are just as hard to kill.

[b]Brass Demon - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
23    STR    13     23      14-       HTH Damage 4 1/2d6  END [2]
15    DEX    15     15      12-       OCV 5 DCV 5
16    CON    12     16      12-
15    BODY   10     15      12-
12    INT     2     12      11-       PER Roll 13-
12    EGO     4     12      11-       ECV: 4
15    PRE     5     15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
8     COM    -1      8      11-
10    PD      5     10                10 PD (5 rPD)
8     ED      5      8                8 ED (4 rED)
3     SPD     5      3                Phases:  4, 8, 12
8     REC     0      8
40    END     4     40
36    STUN    1     36
9     RUN     0     9"                END [2]
2     SWIM    0     2"                END [1]
5     LEAP    0   4 1/2"                4 1/2" forward, 2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 80[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
4     Damage Resistance (5 PD/4 ED) - END=0
127   [b][i]Mazoku Invunerability[/i][/b]: Desolidification  (affected by Most Sorcery, Astral Magic and Magical Weapons), Inherent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (190 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2) - END=0
6     [b][i]Keen Senses[/i][/b]: +2 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0
16    [b][i]Winged[/i][/b]: Flight 12" (24 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) - END=2
105   [b][i]Claws[/i][/b]: HKA 2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Affects Physical World (+2) (105 Active Points) - END=0
69    [b][i]Strength[/i][/b]: Affects Physical World (+2) for up to 23 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (69 Active Points) - END=0
5     Nightvision - END=0
6     [b][i]Long Strides[/i][/b]: Running +3" (9" total) - END=1

[b]POWERS Cost: 338[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Martial Arts: Natural Abilities
3      1)  Martial Grab:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 33 STR for holding on
4      2)  Crush:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 8 1/2d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 7[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
13     Power Skill, Magic: 16-
5      KS: Magic 14-
5      AK: Astral Plane 14-
3      Conversation 12-
3      Persuasion 12-
6      +3 with PRE Rolls or PRE-based Skills; Only When Attempting To Bluff, Intimidate or Taunt (-1 1/2)
16     +2 with All Combat
4      +2 with Martial Grab

[b]SKILLS Cost: 55[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
10      Custom Perk

[b]PERKS Cost: 10[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
10      Custom Talent

[b]TALENTS Cost: 10[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
25     Distinctive Features:  Brass Demon (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Views Mortals As Weak (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Thrive on Negative Emotions (Common, Strong)
25     Psychological Limitation:  Slavishly Loyal to Summoner (Very Common, Total)
150    Extra-Planer Demon Bonus
5      Physical Limitation:  Large (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
15     Hunted:  Whoever Summoned It 14- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 250[/b]

Base Pts: 250
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 500

Background/History: Brass demons make their home on the Astral Plane. They can manifest in the material world, but cannot cross the boundary between the worlds by themselves. Only the most powerful Mazoku can summon brass demons to assist them in any great numbers.

Quote: "Die foolish mortal!"

Powers/Tactics: Brass demons fly when necessary, but are more likely to stay on the ground to fight an opponent. They will first attempt to grapple an opponent using their great strength and skill to overpower their foe. If grappling attempts prove fruitless, they will fall back on spell casting and claw attacks.

Campaign Use: Brass demons are far more powerful than most demons. They are likely to have their own names and indivuality, and serve as a common source for the intelligence or magical capability of non-human-based chimeras, though whether the demon agrees to the process or is coerced into it is unknown. Wizards, who treat with demons instead of the more dangerous full-Mazoku, frequently summon them.

A typical brass demon will know a variety of common spells. They are disposed toward the use of combat spells (Flare Bit, Flare Arrow and Freeze Arrow), but they will not hesitate to spells like Bogardic Elm, Digu Volt and Val Flare to make their opponent's lives more difficult.

Appearance: Brass demons are large, heavily musled humanoids with solid black eyes and skeletal faces. Skin color varies, through deep olive green, dark maroon and dull violet are common. They have enormous bat wings that are typically folded behind their shoulders and look like a large cloak. Their hands are large and clawed.

I can't remember how long its been since I built something that was more than 200 points in cost and I rarely mess around with fantasy stuff of this magnitude. If you know about Slayers and Brass Demons your comments would be welcomed.

Next I gotta build a Plasma Dragon thanks to one of Naga's hair-brained spells.