Slayers Magic Spells

Edsel

Re: Slayers Magic Spells

I think Zelgadis would have no problems having relations with a golem or a demon - he may break a human.

I think Zel wouldn't like to hear that at all. The problem is not so much his strength, which is only slightly greater than human norm (STR 25 in HERO AT MOST) but his skin texture -- and we really don't know what that texture is in the, er, private areas.

It certainly isn't uniform all over his body; his face is softer, and his mouth area is just about as soft as a human's -- he wouldn't be able to eat, drink or speak if it wasn't, and Rezo needed him to be able to do the last one. Now if Rezo were truly a vicious bastard he would have made the you-know-what really sharp or made him a eunuch, but Rezo apparently expected Zelgadis to be around for such a short time that it wouldn't matter -- he certainly didn't expect Zel to outlive him twice over.

So there's hope for

Princess Amelia

yet. As Mae West said, "A hard man is good to find", and they don't get much harder than Zelgadis.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW -- if you can, do a search for a web comic called "Hamlet: the Manga." The Slayers cast put on a production of Hamlet with Zelgadis as the lead. Very well done and while a comedy, the author wisely goes totally series for a few scenes -- such as the "to be or not to be" soliloquy.

Walking Dead

The Slayers D20 lumps skeletons and zombies into the same group calling them Walking Dead. Here I have recreated them in the Hero System. This makes the Necro Vood spell easier since I only have to write it up for one type of critter instead of two. Of course once I get the spells done it will be an easy matter for you to split it into two different spells and make skeletons and zombies separate entities once again.

[b]Walking Dead - Sekelton, Zombie[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5    15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
12    DEX     6    12      11-       OCV 4 DCV 4
10    CON     0    10      11-
10    BODY    0    10      11-
10    INT     0    10      11-       PER Roll 11-
0     EGO     0    0       9-        ECV: 0
15    PRE     5    15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
6     COM    -2    6       10-
2     PD      3    2/6               2/6 PD (0/4 rPD)
2     ED      3    2/6               2/6 ED (0/4 rED)
2     SPD     0    2                 Phases:  6, 12
5     REC     0    5
20    END     0    20

6    RUN      0    6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0    2"                END [1]
3    LEAP     0    3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 20[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
14     [b][i]Bits & Pieces of Armor[/i][/b]: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (36 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), OIF (-1/2) - END=0
60     [b][i]Undead[/i][/b]: Automaton (Takes No STUN) - END=0
15     [b][i]Undead[/i][/b]: Does Not Bleed - END=0
11     [b][i]Simple Weapon[/i][/b]: HKA 1d6 (26 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1) [Notes: An old sword, axe or even a club.] - END=0
7      [b][i]Untiring[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of STR (7 Active Points) - END=0
6      [b][i]Untiring[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 12 Active Points of Running (6 Active Points) - END=0
1      [b][i]Untiring[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 2 Active Points of Swimming (1 Active Points) - END=0
1      [b][i]Untiring[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 3 Active Points of Leaping (1 Active Points) - END=0
10     [b][i]Undead[/i][/b]: No Hit Locations - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 125[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Distinctive Features:  Walking Undead (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction)
25     Physical Limitation:  Slavishly Loyal to Creator (All the Time, Fully Impairing)
15     Physical Limitation:  Machine Intelligence (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 60[/b]

Base Pts: 100
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 150

These summoning spells are a pain to work on. I have to build a creature and then build the spell. Giga Slave was much less work.

Keep in mind that the creatures I am posting were built in a hasty manner so that I could make the spell work. I am associating each creature with their spell in the prefabs. Later I plan to revisit the creatures and spend more time looking for ways to improve them and increase the construction efficiency.

Ragna Drive Zombie

Using the Ragna Drive spell the sorcerer can create a much improved Walking Undead in the form of a zombie capable of independent thought. In other words here is another creature I had to build.

[b]Ragna Drive Zombie - Walking Undead[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5     15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
15    DEX    15     15      12-       OCV 5 DCV 5
10    CON     0     10      11-
11    BODY    2     11      11-
13    INT     3     13      12-       PER Roll 12-
0     EGO     0     0        9-       ECV: 0
15    PRE     5     15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
6     COM    -2     6       10-
2     PD      3    2/7             2/7 PD (0/5 rPD)
2     ED      3    2/7             2/7 ED (0/5 rED)
3     SPD     5     3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
5     REC     0     5
20    END     0     20

6    RUN      0     6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0     2"                END [1]
3    LEAP     0     3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 39[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
18     [b][i]Bits & Pieces of Armor[/i][/b]: Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (45 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), OIF (-1/2) - END=0
60     [b][i]Undead[/i][/b]: Automaton (Takes No STUN) - END=0
15     [b][i]Undead[/i][/b]: Does Not Bleed - END=0
15     [b][i]Simple Weapon[/i][/b]: HKA 1d6+1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) [Notes: An old sword, axe or even a club.] - END=0
7      [b][i]Untiring[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of STR (7 Active Points) - END=0
6      [b][i]Untiring[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 12 Active Points of Running (6 Active Points) - END=0
1      [b][i]Untiring[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 2 Active Points of Swimming (1 Active Points) - END=0
1      [b][i]Untiring[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 3 Active Points of Leaping (1 Active Points) - END=0
10     [b][i]Undead[/i][/b]: No Hit Locations - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 138[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
2      +1 with Weapon of Choice
2      AK: Local Region 11-
3      Deduction 12-
6      Skills of Choice 

[b]SKILLS Cost: 13[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Distinctive Features:  Walking Undead (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction)
25     Physical Limitation:  Slavishly Loyal to Creator (All the Time, Fully Impairing)
45     Ragna Drive Zombie Bonus

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 190[/b]

Base Pts: 100
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 190

I have only eight spells left (out of 34) to design and then the Sorcery College will be done. However this it my last day off work, its back to the grind tomorrow. I also have to start thinking about the Dark Champions game I am supposed to run on Saturday. I really hope I can finish and post the Sorcery stuff before bedtime tonight. We'll see if I make it.

EDIT: I just noticed that according to the D20 Slayers guide all of these Undead should probably have Nightvision. I'll probably adjust my final versions to give them that.

Sorcery Spells Complete

I have completed the Sorcery spells (a little over 30 of them) and I have my general rules for the magic system done. Of course these are a first draft, but they are done. Attached is the prefab for Sorcery spells. Attached are the related files.

1. The prefab of all Sorcerer Spells
  2. My general rules for the magic system.
  3. A nice acrobat document with all the Sorcery spells which features hyperlinks and bookmarks.

Once I get the whole lot done I will start thinking about who can host all of this.

Next up are the Shamanist (Air) spells. That will be about half as many as this was. Since the Shaman spells are divided between Air, Astral, Earth, Fire and Water, the Sorcery College is the largest individual section. I have gone through my previous posts and be sure that the posted prefabs are my latest copies (so the prefabs are the latest, the text ain't necessarily the same).

EDIT: (1/5/2007) Updated the Slayers Hero Sorcery.pdf & Slayer Hero Sorcery.hdp files.

Re: Sorcery Spells Complete

I have made the offer to host material once you think it's ready for the world at large.

I hope to have you host it. When I think about Anime and Hero your's is the first web site I visit.

Currently I hope to get all of the magic done (Sorcery was perhaps 20% of it). Then I will go back and review them all to see if the power levels seem right compared to each other. I also hope to recreate various magic items of note and then do some custom martial arts maneuvers and a few custom skills. Finally I'll try my hand at building major characters. The short story is that I've got a long ways to go and will probably be working on it for months as long as I don't burn out. Eventually I will try to put everything into a world book.

I got the Shamanist Air section formatted but things are going to slow down now since my work schedule will be returning to normal (no more blowing six hours at a time on my hobby).

AAAAAgggggh!

Just spent a an hour or so making up the first four Shaman Air spells and then accidentally closed Hero Designer before I saved my work. Thank heavens I have the Word copy that I was doing concurrently so I can re-create them without too much trouble.

Shamanist-Air Spells Done!

I have completed the Shamanist-Air college. The Acrobat file and HDv3 prefab are attached to this post. Within this college are spells like Bram Gush, Levitation and Ray Wing. None of the spells in this college can harm Mazoku or incorporeal foes. These didn't take as long as I had feared they would since I had a slow week at work.

Also please note that I have updated the Sorcery prefab and acrobat file that are attached to post #62 of this thread.

I am currently working it in such a way that magical shields (barriers) will be done as Force Walls. This means that I am very careful about letting any type of attack bypass them. Most NNDs have FF & FW as the defense. The few AVLDs I have written use FF & FW as the defense. The few Drains I have done have a limitation that FF or FW also work against them.

My next project will be the Shamanist-Astral college (about 22 spells). Featuring such favorites at Elmekia Lance and Ra Tilt. I can't really say how long this will take.

Just thought I'd let concerned people know that this project is not dead. In fact I am just getting back to work on it. I am re-evaluating how I build various critters for the game and how to make magic interact properly (anime style) with them. I also have a stumbling block to resolve with protective barriers. I may have to pose a problem in the Hero System Discussion forum if I can't come up with a reasonable solution of my own.

EDIT: I have deleted all of the attachments that I previously uploaded to this thread. I am currently doing a re-write of most of it and I figure that there is no sense keeping soon to be obsolete material here for download. Once I have something that I feel fully satisfied with I will post again. When I am eventually ready to post stuff I will start a new thread since I figure this one will be buried by then.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update for any who are interested. I am still working on this. I have finally gotten started on the Shamanist Astral spells. I have been re-watching all of my Slayer DVDs. I finished all of the Naga & Lina Stories and am now 8 episodes into the TV series.

I scrapped the idea of buying skill only to grant access to spells. It just didn't feel right to me. Now I am using the Cost Multiplier/Divisor method suggested in Fantasy Hero. Real Cost of the spell divided by 5 (or in HD Cost Multiplier of 0.2). Even using this the cost of having a lot of spells is going to be enormous. Of course Lina, at the start of the first TV series according to Slayers D20 is 23rd Level, so maybe that's right.

I can't see a real campaign of this being done with characters who start at less than 100+100 in Disads and even then they certainly won't be able to hold a candle to the likes of Lina and Amelia.

I might have to experiment with the idea of buying spells into a Multi-power or other framework or something. With 200 point characters the pure swordsmen will be pretty wicked fighters.

Well, Lina and Amelia are prodigies, and in any case they are going to be expensive. The only reason I wouldn't use an even higher spell multiplier, such as x8, x10 or even x12, for a Slayers HERO campaign is that it would make a non-spell-using character so weak by comparison that nobody in their right mind would want anything to do with one.

Although even so, the question of a non-spell-user standing in this company ought to be addressed. Gourry has an insanely powerful OAF weapon, which allows him to stand with them on point total, yet is extremely competent without it. He is, in fact, an almost supernaturally gifted swordsman with everything that implies, and his vaunted cluelessness can be attributed as much to lack of focus on non-tactical matters as anything else. (When it comes to anything likely to affect him in combat, he's actually alarmingly perceptive.)

Eventually, of course, you will want to write up the Sword of Light (which has many interesting properties besides a huge energy-based HKA) and, if reliable information on it can be found, its successor the Blast Blade (a sword so sharp that only dulling magic prevents it from destroying its sheath). The most notable characteristic of both weapons is that they are both deadly to beings that normally wouldn't notice being hit with a material blade.