Anime series as a campaign

Spence

Probably been beaten to death :D But there have been a lot of great series hit the US in the last year or so. With that in mind.

Which Anime series would you like to either run as a campaign, base a campaign on its concept or would like to see a source book about?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anime series as a campaign

Is this strictly anime, Spence? I am running a solo game for one of my players based on Xiaolin Showdown and Ghostbusters.

CES

Well the definition of "Anime" is becoming fairly broad these days...

I won't say anything if you don't ;)

I nominate Cyborg 009.

I haven't seen that one yet.

For myself I have a few I would like to see.

Full Metal Panic for a Modern/Mecha game

Banner Of the Stars for StarHero game

Bubblegum Crisis for a Cyberpunk/Mecha game

and

E's Otherwise or X based game.

Currently working on a Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha setting and character writeups. Yes, silly name. Silly series? Far from it.

Off the top of my head, Gatekeepers, while old, could make a great campaign.

Lastly, Law of Ueki could be turned into something wacky. Bunch of kids in a running competition with some really bizarre powers put to good use? Good times.

yeah!

Let's get Mikey (Surbrook) He'll run it! He'll run anything! :D

sorry, Mike.

And on that note:

3x3 Eyes: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#3X3

Appleseed: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#APPLE

Cowboy Bebop (includes worldbook): http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#CB

Dragonball Z (includes worldbook): http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#DBZ

El-Hazard: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#EL

Hellsing (includes worldbook): http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#HELL

One Piece: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#ONE

Outlaw Star (includes worldbook): http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#OS

Silent Mobius (includes Silent Mobius Zeta worldbook): http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#SM

Striker (includes worldbook): http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#STRIKE

Personally, I think one could have a lot of fun with settings based around Appleseed, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball, El-Hazard, Hellsing, Outlaw Star, Read Or Die, Silent Mobius, and Striker. Oh, and Black Lagoon (in development).

Oh, and don't forget to look for Kazei 5 in the on-line store.

First note: "Anime" is not a genre in the traditional sense -- it is a matter of style. So you can do anything anime -- even four-color superheroes -- if you choose the right approach.

Here are a few suggestions nobody else has made:

Tsubasa Chronicle: What Doctor who would look like had CLAMP created it. A young man travels from world to world, recovering the "feathers' that signify the lost memories of the girl he loves, knowing the one he can never recover is her love for him. He is accompanied by the girl, a sorcerer who has given up his magic and a ninja warrior with serious anger management issues, and their means of travel is a marshmallow-bunny-thing with a very perky personality and an enormous ego.

xxxHOLiC, on the other hand, features a character who is what The Doctor would be like if created by CLAMP. Yuuko Ichihara, an enigmatic sorceress with a unique reach in time and space, runs a Tokyo shop that grants wishes for a price. She has taken a schoolboy with spiritual powers under her wing, subjecting him to a humiliating and dangerous indentured servitude. Yuuko is amusing, witty and whimsical -- frequently alarmingly so (she created two little girls to keep her company and gave them obscene names) and drives Watanuki just as crazy as the Sixth Doctor drove poor Peri.

May I also suggest .hack//SIGN (a virtual-reality MMORPG player discovers that they cannot log out, and that the Game is going horribly, horribly wrong), El-Hazard the Magnificent World (Three Japanese students and their teacher are transported to another world, gain extraordinary abilities, and find that the continuation of the rivalry between two of them may kill everything that lives), and Shinesman (A salaryman discovers his employer is a front for a sentai team -- only two episodes, but the most outrageously funny sentai satire I've seen, including Dynaman).

Some ones I've run and others I'd like to...

Bubblegum Crisis / AD Police -- Cyberpunk / Dark Technological Superhero already nicely done in Fuzion rules by R. Talsorian, but every year there's someone who tries to reincarnate the world in Hero rules. Futuristic MegaTokyo is being threatened by artificial lifeforms called Boomers and the MegaCorporation that makes them, Genom. (My campaign city was a remade San Antonio, Texas called Metronova.)

Black Lagoon -- Modern Action / Dark Champions -- The series details the adventures of a pack of modern day smugglers, pirates and mercenaries operating in the South China Sea from the fictional port city of Roanapur (which I think is supposed to be in either Thailand or Malaysia). Roanapur is a city filled with the very worst of the villains of the world, executing a balacing act between the various criminal syndicates.

Cowboy Bebop -- Star Hero / Dark Champions -- The series follows the misadventures of an unlikely group of bounty hunters and drifters as they wander between the terraformed worlds of the solar system aboard the Bebop while dealing with their own personal issues along the way. The home port was the capital city on Mars, which was still in the process of being terraformed. (The movie was awesome, though the series was hit or miss.)

Ninja Scroll (the Movie) -- Ninja Hero / Low-Powered Champions -- This is one of the best action anime movies ever made with just the right amount plot and action. Ruthless super-powered assassins team up to steal gold from a secret mine to back a revolution, and a great ronin swordsman is forced team up with a government spy and a female ninja to stop them. (I never could find enough people who were into this to make a campaign. *Sigh*)

Urusai Yatsura -- Comedy / Star Hero -- This was at least three of the anime series that inspired R. Talsorian Games to create the Teenagers From Outer Space RPG, plus the series spawned one of the most visually interesting anime movies (Beautiful Dreamer) ever made. The plot in short -- the most lecherous teenage boy on the planet is accidentally betrothed to a beautiful and insanely jealous alien princess. Alien princess has many beautiful friends for fiancee to drool over. Bedlam ensues.

Matt "Drooling-fanboy" Frisbee

Some ones I've run and others I'd like to...

Bubblegum Crisis / AD Police -- Cyberpunk / Dark Technological Superhero already nicely done in Fuzion rules by R. Talsorian, but every year there's someone who tries to reincarnate the world in Hero rules. Futuristic MegaTokyo is being threatened by artificial lifeforms called Boomers and the MegaCorporation that makes them, Genom. (My campaign city was a remade San Antonio, Texas called Metronova.)

The Kazei 5 campaign book from Hero features a lot of BGC-inspiried stuff.

Black Lagoon -- Modern Action / Dark Champions -- The series details the adventures of a pack of modern day smugglers, pirates and mercenaries operating in the South China Sea from the fictional port city of Roanapur (which I think is supposed to be in either Thailand or Malaysia). Roanapur is a city filled with the very worst of the villains of the world, executing a balacing act between the various criminal syndicates.

Roanapur is supposed to be in Thailand. I'm currently working on adapting it to HERO.

Cowboy Bebop -- Star Hero / Dark Champions -- The series follows the misadventures of an unlikely group of bounty hunters and drifters as they wander between the terraformed worlds of the solar system aboard the Bebop while dealing with their own personal issues along the way. The home port was the capital city on Mars, which was still in the process of being terraformed. (The movie was awesome, though the series was hit or miss.)

Hmm... the series was 26 episodes, so it ranged in styles and subject matter.I found it mostly to be a hit, myself.

Ninja Scroll (the Movie) -- Ninja Hero / Low-Powered Champions -- This is one of the best action anime movies ever made with just the right amount plot and action. Ruthless super-powered assassins team up to steal gold from a secret mine to back a revolution, and a great ronin swordsman is forced team up with a government spy and a female ninja to stop them. (I never could find enough people who were into this to make a campaign. *Sigh*)

There's also a TV series and, I think, a second movie. Not sure of the quality. There is word of an official sequel in the works, due out in 2007. Oh, and this movie is pure Ninja Hero goodness. I have Hero System character sheets for the major characters up on my website.

Urusai Yatsura -- Comedy / Star Hero -- This was at least three of the anime series that inspired R. Talsorian Games to create the Teenagers From Outer Space RPG, plus the series spawned one of the most visually interesting anime movies (Beautiful Dreamer) ever made. The plot in short -- the most lecherous teenage boy on the planet is accidentally betrothed to a beautiful and insanely jealous alien princess. Alien princess has many beautiful friends for fiancee to drool over. Bedlam ensues.

Matt "Drooling-fanboy" Frisbee

Urusei Yatsura -- Comedy / Star Hero -- This was at least three of the anime series that inspired R. Talsorian Games to create the Teenagers From Outer Space RPG, plus the series spawned one of the most visually interesting anime movies (Beautiful Dreamer) ever made. The plot in short -- the most lecherous teenage boy on the planet is accidentally betrothed to a beautiful and insanely jealous alien princess. Alien princess has many beautiful friends for fiancee to drool over. Bedlam ensues.

Not to mention all sorts of mystical weirdness as well; Ataru is the very model of a Weirdness Magnet. It also features Shutaro Mendou, a handsome and arrogant rich kid (his private Army is larger than Japan's -- and probably China's) and Shinobu Miyagi, an ordinary schoolgirl who can, when provoked, hurl a skyscraper into geostationary orbit.