Anime series as a campaign

Spence

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anime series as a campaign

Lum merely accepted Ataru's "Proposal" during the original tag game... and has repeatedly show her ignorance of Earth customs during the series. She wasn't pushing herself on him, merely accepting his request to be married.

Benten.. my fav girl of the whole series for a multitude of reasons... In CoH, she's a Assault Rifle / Energy Manipulation Blaster... Shoot em at range and kick their butts when they get too close... Sound familiar? Of course I really should get rid of the Accuracy enhances.. but not sure my teammates would like that... But in the series, that girl can't hit the broad side of a barn.... But dumping a box full of grenades overcomes that little problem... heh

Ataru does have some good points... and he is faithful to his own conception of what is "right". Even when no one else agrees with him.

Granted, Males lust after her (can't blame em)... Females tend to be friends very easily... Even Shinobu, after their rocky introduction... and the other aliens (who probably don't lust after her, due to nothing in common sexually) still want to help her out and be friends... Charisma... Lum's got it in spades.

• 1 month later...

Frightening thought; what would their kids be like?

A few other ideas:

Starship Operators: Their planet has been conquered, but the cadets on board a state-of-the-art battleship fight on. The catch? The Resistance Will be Televised, and the network is manipulating the script....

Galaxy Express 999: In Earth's future, everyone who is everyone has a mechanical body. If you don't, those who do treat you as garbage or, worse, as game. A young boy who has watched his mother shot down in cold blood meets a strange and exotic woman, and receives from her the ultimate prize: a ticket to ride the Galaxy Express 999, a train across the stars at the terminus of which is Andromeda, where legend says anyone can get a mechanical body at no charge. What awaits him on this journey, and what he must do to survive and continue his quest, will test his resolve and his humanity -- and make him question whether even immortality is worth the price....

Not sure if these have been mentioned.. would be surprised if they haven't.

Akira (Cyberpunk with huge does of psionics... pretty much the grand daddy of all anime)

Lain (This...would be very very difficult)

I once tried to run a Teen Martial artist Monster hunting game on Openrpg.

Unforunitly the game kinda fell down and went boom...

Not sure if these have been mentioned.. would be surprised if they haven't.

Akira (Cyberpunk with huge does of psionics... pretty much the grand daddy of all anime)

Ahhh... no. The grandfather of anime would be anything done by Osamu Tezuka.

Galaxy Express 999: In Earth's future' date=' everyone who is everyone has a mechanical body. If you don't, those who do treat you as garbage or, worse, as [i']game[/i]. A young boy who has watched his mother shot down in cold blood meets a strange and exotic woman, and receives from her the ultimate prize: a ticket to ride the Galaxy Express 999, a train across the stars at the terminus of which is Andromeda, where legend says anyone can get a mechanical body at no charge. What awaits him on this journey, and what he must do to survive and continue his quest, will test his resolve and his humanity -- and make him question whether even immortality is worth the price....

And don't forget that Galaxy Express 999 is part of a bigger universe which includes Space Battleship Yamato (better known as Star Blazers, about a group of humans sent out on a refurbish spaceship (which use to be a sea battelship) in order to bring back from a distant planet a device which would help save the planet Earth...with only a jellous galatic empier standing in there way), Space Pirate Caption Herlock, DNA Sight 999.9, Milimumen Queen, and Matel Saga, amoung others. (Heck, even Leji Matasoto's WW2 epic The Cockpit has some linkage to his space sagas)

I would say though, that Akira would be the movie to have ushered in the "modern" era of Anime.

I can see that. It certainly was ground-breaking, in that Akira totally turned the West's idea of what anime was about on it's head.

Akira was seminal in North America, but it's generally not considered the thing that kicked off the modern anime age in Japan: Megazone 23 is.

It goes a little like this:

Gundam (the original) was the major paradigm shifter for TV anime, and helped push anime for an older audience into more of the mainstream by virtue of being one of the first shows with...fanboys. This leads to more "mature" anime being done, which leads to things like Macross, and that (in it's second run) in turn lead someone to speculate and think that maybe, just maybe, there might be enough older fans out there to buy something they later termed an Original Animation Video.

That first OAV was the above Megazone 23, and it really changed the playing field by proving that there was a market for direct to consumer animation and it could pay! Suddenly anime was free to stretch it's wings into all kinds of new directions, not limited by censors, but limited more by budgets and creativity. This was the dawn of the real modern age of anime, as an art form that went beyond TV cartoons and comics. Akira didn't even come around until 1988, and was a product of this 80's anime boom.

Of course, before you run out and see Megazone 23, you should know it really ain't all that great. :D It doesn't suck horribly, but their idea of mature meant that the hero got to get laid. (At a pretty high price I might add...)

Rob

I can see that. It certainly was ground-breaking' date=' in that [i']Akira[/i] totally turned the West's idea of what anime was about on it's head.

Would love to see a remake or better yet series based on it, as great as the movie was, it tried to cram way to many 'graphic novels' into one 2 hour flick.:eek:

Would love to see a remake or better yet series based on it' date=' as great as the movie was, it tried to cram way to many 'graphic novels' into one 2 hour flick.:eek:[/quote']

As I hear it, Otomo wasn't even close to done with the manga, so he spun it out into his sown storyline.

I'd love to see an extended OVA series of 1 hour episodes that covered the full magna.

As I hear it, Otomo wasn't even close to down with the manga, so he spun it out into his sown storyline.

I'd love to see an extended OVA series of 1 hour episodes that covered the full magna.

I have to admit I haven't read most of the actual Manga, I know that like most movies based off books there are always changes. (El Hazard dropped semi-inportant characters from the cast)

But yes I too would love an extended OVA

I most definitly came acrost a manga at emerald city (local comic store) a few years back' date=' I most admit it might have been written after the anime.[/quote']

I think it was. Much like the Tenchi manga came after the original anime.

The original Tenchi-Muyo! manga series, commissioned as a follow-up to the OVAs, took on a life of its own. It is still a highly-regarded, if uncanonical, part of the Tenchiverse.

I would very much like to see a CLAMP Universe campaign with some of the older series time-forwarded to the present. My ideas on how to time-forward some of the components for the campaign involve Sakura (from CCS) coping with the combined pressures of being a college student, a new bride and a candidate for Earth's Sorceress Supreme, a thirty-something Umi combining the duties of a junior executive in the Amimaya Conglomerate (currently run by Sonomi Daidouji) with being Cephiro's ambassador to the Earth dimension (where her friends Hikaru the Pillar and Princess Fuu have taken up permanent residence), the Li clan having to deal with a rival group that is influencing the Chinese government and Yuuko Ichihara the Space-Time Witch watching it all with detached amusement.