Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spence

Anime series as a campaign

Re: Anime series as a campaign

A few more series to stick into the Resurrect-O-Mat for a thread abount anime that would make interesting RPG campaigns:

Dennou Coil is a story of children who have found interesting and for the most part illegal ways to interact with the virtual world that surrounds all of civilization in the year 202X. Cyber-"magic" can be used to subtly influence actual reality (by doing little things like making traffic lights change), virtual environments have all kinds of hidden perils, and the nature of reality itself is in doubt. One thing is certain: no matter who the PCs are or what their goals might be, they are in way over their heads....

The next Gundam series due to be released in the US, after a delay of over a decade, is Turn A Gundam. Earth has regressed technologically to the steampunk age, but is about to be drawn into conflict with a civilization they had completely forgotten -- the human colonists who inhabit the Moon and whose technology is quite advanced. Standing between Earth and destruction is a young boy from the Moon who has gotten his hands on a legendary mecha known as "The White Doll" (obviously this is a Gundam!). Complicating matters is that the ruler of the Moon and a young Earth noblewoman turn out to be virtually identical, really hit it off when they meet, and decide to switch places every so often without anyone else knowing about it.

Plus, our hero crossdresses frequently for plot-related reasons. (The director had originally wanted to do a female Gundam pilot as the main character for the first time ever, but was vetoed. So he came up with this plotline to get as close to his original vision as possible.)

Plus' date=' our hero crossdresses frequently for plot-related reasons. (The director had originally wanted to do a female Gundam pilot as the main character for the first time ever, but was vetoed. So he came up with this plotline to get as close to his original vision as possible.)[/quote']

Dual! Parallel Trouble - its got everything, Parallel universes, Mecha, Cross Dressing (except for the main character all the pilots are female -- males can't pilot mecha), plot lines that make little to no sense, and of coarse.. Light Hawk Wings!

I have it and think it is a first class supplement! :thumbup:

still would like to see a 5th Ed update though......;)

And earlier this year, the 6th Edition update to Kazei 5 came out. 100% pure anime campaign goodness.

Last Avatar: as a game setting. Use the Martial Art's and the different elemental realted effects to make a really fun game.

this isn't avatar the last aibender is it

Busou Rankin might be a good campaign if the victor part is left out. It would leave wielders of weird weapons versus people eating monsters with weird monsters, and capable of mysteries in the background.

I am also digging the reprints of Bleach that I have read too.

CES

If you do a Cross-Worlds campaign (as mentioned in Fantasy Hero), you have to include El-Hazard. It's a bit date and only the first OVA and Wanderers are about the only parts of it worth watching. But it does the genre well. You have a wider variety of characters (at least when compared to other anime of that type) and they fit into different roles. One even becomes the villain with the happiest evil laugh you ever heard. The setting itself is more than your typical Tolkin and is rather unique. (Personally I hate the generic fantasy. Sure it's easy to set up but it doesn't make me care about what happens.)

Haven't read all the posts in the thread yet but I don't think that anyone has mentioned Tokko yet....

For those not familiar with the title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokko_%28manga%29

And potentially, a GM could adapt items from:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/worldbooks/pdepartment/pdepartment.html

to streamline the build process.... :)

-Carl-

I eventually would like to run a campaign setting based on the FIGHT! ICZER-1 OAV series that was released in the mid-late 80's. An awesome series. I really wish they would've finished Iczer Girl Iczelion because it had a lot of potential (they only produced 2 episodes).

If I were to run such a game, I would probably have the player characters play newly chosen Iczelions (and I would probably relax the females only restriction for Iczels choosing their partners) and start out on Earth but eventually have the game lead on a whirlwind tour of the Universe chasing down big nasties to defeat to make the Universe safe for civilizations to prosper. I would probably also introduce a Super Robot element to the game and have the PC's eventually inherit a Super Robot version of Iczer-Robo to fight the big boss at the end of the campaign.

Yeah, that would be a lot of fun. I still want to do that someday. I need to get a DVD copy of Iczer-1 (mine is on VHS) as I have a copy of Iczer-3. Too bad its impossible to find Iczer girl Iczelion on DVD and the Iczer-1 comic book is rare in the extreme (I lost the few issues I had collected)

I miss Toshihiro Hirano style Anime. It was so influential in its day. They don't make them like that anymore :(