Variable Mechanics Construct idea.

Hyper-Man

I just read through the recent thread:

Why model smoke grenades/pellets as Darkness?

and the following statement:

Avoid absolutes, don't worry about a universal standard; use whichever Power Construct best models the effect you are currently trying to make. For grenades that obscure vision in some circumstances that might be Darkness, in others CE, in others Images, in others Flash AoE, in others Suppress vs INT Only To Reduce PER, and some even more unusual construct in other cases.

And if none of the existing elements work to model it precisely the way you think it should be, don't be afraid to make a custom "Smoke" Power that works exactly the way you think it should, basing the cost via comparison to the more mainstream methods available.

Stay flexible, minimize issues, maximize fun.

Why not go one step further and allow a single power construct to have multiple definitions for 0 extra cost and let the GM decide which definition best applies to a specific game situation? This is different than say a single power with Variable Advantage or a tight sfx Multipower which are still both under player control. It is still a single sfx and arguably a single power. The construct might be a power already inside a framework like a Multipower, EC or VPP. There is some precident for this in the talent Eidetic Memory which has different 'power' writeups in 5E and 5ER.

I see the most utility of this idea applying to perception based powers (like those mentioned in the smoke grenade thread) but others might come up with other ways it could be used.

Comments welcome.

Re: Variable Mechanics Construct idea.

Why not go one step further and allow a single power construct to have multiple definitions for 0 extra cost and let the GM decide which definition best applies to a specific game situation?

I like this, though I haven't thought of any specific examples at this time. It reminds me of languages where a single word can have many diverse meanings, depending on context. I think it could tighten up the list of powers.

I like it too but (and there is always a but) it could be used to get around some restrictions or defences: for instance if a power 'I glow like the sun' could be mechanically built as a constant flash, darkness, CE or images then GENERALLY the person with the power would want it as darkness as that is the most 'absolute' effect, but sometimes flash is useful as it continues to affect the targets once they are out of the area or the power is turned off.

I think in practice having a number of different power definitions is going to be too much effort.

For Robyn:

Sense affecting power:

3 points for a single non-targeting sense

5 points for a single targeting sense or a non-targeting sense group

10 points for a targeting sense group

+3 points to add a single non-targeting sense

+5 points to add a single targeting sense or a non-targeting sense group

+10 points to add a targeting sense group

Normally only affects one target but for 5 points can affect a hex and each 5 points doubles the radius.

1. The basic effect is that the target (or all targets in an area) have to make PER rolls to perceive with the selected sense (s)

2. For a 5 pointadder you can change the appearance of the target or area unless a PER roll is made (use complexity modifiers as per images)

3. For a 10 point adder you can make the area opaque, or the target unable to use the sense at all

4. For 3 points you can buy 1d6 of normal effect that makes the SAP continue for that number of phases against the target or all targets in an AoE from application, less any appropriate flash defence. The power is considered instant unless you buy a 10 point adder, which makes it constant, with continuing effect for 1 phase per (normal BODY) rolled, after the power is switched off.

5. For 10 points you can target the power on yourself and all observers will be subjected to the SAP (if you buy the 'opaque' power, this works as if you are in fact invisible)

You can modify any PER roll: -1 PER for 3 points as part of the power.

You can combine dome or all of the effects and for a 10 point adder can use some, all or none of the adders for any given application of the power.

The power costs END as normal and has a normal range.

For me? Do you have the right thread?

I like this' date=' though I haven't thought of any specific examples at this time. It reminds me of languages where a single word can have many diverse meanings, depending on context. I think it could tighten up the list of powers.

I thought so. Single power, lots of uses: covers darkness, flash, images, invisibility and most of shapeshift. Tight.

I thought so. Single power' date=' lots of uses: covers darkness, flash, images, invisibility and most of shapeshift. Tight.[/quote']

Ahh, okay. I see now. Thanks.

I wasn't thinking to consolidate, but more of a diffuse spread (like a language would have), so I didn't see that right away.

FYI, the original build that got me thinking about this idea wa Eidetic Memory.

In 5E it reads:

Retrocognitive Clairsentience Retrocognition Only (-1) Only For Memorized/Perceived Information (-2)

In 5ER it reads:

+5 to INT Rolls, Only To Recall Memorized/Perceived Information (-2)

The first one has no failure check built in. The second one does.