Strength-based Leaping

Lord Liaden

Question

Belated Happy New Year, SSL!

I was looking over examples of Automatons in 5E books you've written, particularly the Bestiary, when I noticed that these characters had bought Reduced Endurance (0 END) specifically for their STR-based Inches of Leaping, even though they had also bought their STR down to 0 END. As I puzzled over this, I started to wonder whether, if these two abilities are separate, the Endurance costs for using them might be different. I couldn't find anything on this subject in either the FAQ or the Errata for the books in question, so I felt the need for an official clarification:

1) If you want to reduce Endurance both for your STR to do damage, lift objects etc., and for Leaping based on your STR, do you need to pay the Reduced Endurance Advantage for both separately?

2) When you use your STR to Leap, do you pay Endurance based on the Active Points of STR used, or on the Active Points that would be needed to pay for the equivalent number of Inches of Leaping?

1 answer to this question

Re: Strength-based Leaping

1. Reduced Endurance for STR doesn’t affect the END cost for Leaping, which is a separate ability even though it derives in part from STR. Thus, when a character wants his Leaping to cost 0 END, he has to buy Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for his full inches of Leaping, even if his STR already costs 0 END.

2. A character who uses STR to add inches of Leaping pays END for the STR used at the standard rate; see 5ER 196.