New Martial Arts Style: The Sexy Commando

Snarf

In the show Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo!! Marusan the main character uses a fighting style called the Sexy Commando, which I want to bring into Hero System. The style is based on the fact that it is very difficult to attack an opponent with his guard up, so an unguarded moment is created by doing something unbelievably, shockingly, almost frighteningly stupid. For example, dropping his pants in the middle of a fight and charging like a baby chick. That sounds pretty bizarre already, but it's about a hundred times more intense than the way I've described it. If you use bittorrent, you can check the show out on animesuki.com and see what I mean. I was thinking an enormous DCV drain, possibly with some limitations, might work.

Any suggestions?

Re: New Martial Arts Style: The Sexy Commando

Originally posted by Snarf

In the show Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo!! Marusan the main character uses a fighting style called the Sexy Commando, which I want to bring into Hero System. The style is based on the fact that it is very difficult to attack an opponent with his guard up, so an unguarded moment is created by doing something unbelievably, shockingly, almost frighteningly stupid. For example, dropping his pants in the middle of a fight and charging like a baby chick. That sounds pretty bizarre already, but it's about a hundred times more intense than the way I've described it. If you use bittorrent, you can check the show out on animesuki.com and see what I mean. I was thinking an enormous DCV drain, possibly with some limitations, might work.

Any suggestions?

Um.....Ok....whats the end result of the manuever? Its easier to hit but you are also in a vulnerable position?

Make a custom manuever with bonuses to OCV, penalties to DCV, Extra Segment, and Lasting Restriction.

Killer Shrike's done it again. Exactly the sort of thing I thought of as I read your post, but more detailed.

How about some levels in HTH, but subject to an appropriate limitation? That way, you could use regular maneuvres, but can do something bizarre to get extra OCV.

Does the style work with, say Blocks and Dodges, as well as Strikes? If so, then levels might be a more flexible way of representing this.

Another thought - could this simply be a massive Presence Attack? The opponent hesitates and your sexy commando stylist gets the hit in. Buy it as lots of extra PRE, Only for Offence, possibly with Side Effect, or Gestures or whatever.

Sorry if I am going of on a tangent here; I am not familiar with the source (and I am not sure I want to be).

It goes like this most of the time:

1. Masaru is about to fight some guys.

2. He goes through a "transformation sequence," as he waves his hands, his eyes flash, the background turns psychadelic.

3. He does something ridiculous (drops his pants, etc.).

4. His opponent is shocked into inaction and defenseless.

5. He knocks all his opponents out with one punch and they go skidding across the pavement, but this step is just a "normal karate punch" and not part of Sexy Commando fighting, so it should be a seperate ability.

I hope that makes things clearer. I guess sleep deprivation made my first post even more rambling and incoherent than usual. :o

The way it's described in the show, he doesn't actually improve his chance to hit, like an OCV bonus, but makes his opponent drop their guard. Not that it really matters so much in game terms, the point is that they get hit. As near as I can tell, it doesn't make him more vulnerable. The style does not seem to enhance blocks, dodges, or other maneuvers, but it has some defensive potential since everyone stops what they are doing.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll read up on that stuff and see what I can figure out.

I am not familiar with the source (and I am not sure I want to be).

It's actually really funny but about as stupid as I've made it sound. Here's some more information if you want to get a better idea of what the show is actually like:

Ukulele Lesson!!

Make a custom manuever with bonuses to OCV, penalties to DCV, Extra Segment, and Lasting Restriction.

Does creating a custom maneuver require the Ultimate Martial Artist book? All I have is 5'th Edition and Star Hero :(.

Edit: Maybe some kind of enhanced form of surprise move would work?

Buy it as lots of extra PRE, Only for Offence, possibly with Side Effect, or Gestures or whatever.

That would work pretty well. It's appropriate too, because Masaru seems to have a good PRE and reputation for weirdness.

If the target's EGO or PRE +20 is rolled, the target is cowed for 1 phase and at 1/2 DCV. This would be like a near miss.

If the targets' EGO or PRE +30 is rolled, the target is reduced to 0 DCV and may surrender, run away, or faint. The 0 DCV effect is right but the complete surrender is a bit too much.

I'm looking for something somewhere in between these two effects, so maybe I should make some house rules about a roll of EGO or PRE +25. Or maybe I could just call punching the opponent out a special effect of the +30 roll instantly ending a fight.

Don't they already have something like this in Dominion: Tank Police?

I seem to recall a rather infamous "combat striptease" sequence in

this particular anime where the Puma sisters distracted the cops by

performing a slow striptease routine -- just before whipping out some

ridiculously huge weapons and blasting away at said cops (evidence,

as far as I'm concerned, that the Puma sisters benefit from the same

sort of weird physics that female immortals in Highlander make

use of when they hide their swords in parts of their wardrobe

that wouldn't hide a .45 or an Uzi).

Space Cadet :D

I seem to recall a rather infamous "combat striptease" sequence in

this particular anime where the Puma sisters distracted the cops by

performing a slow striptease routine -- just before whipping out some

ridiculously huge weapons and blasting away at said cops

There's another one I want to include in my game! :D

It has nothing to do with the martial arts rules, but here's a form of Sexy Commando fighting that's workable:

The Sexy Commando: 90 PRE, (AP 90); Only In Combat (-1), Must Achieve Surprise (-1) (RC 30)

This will give +18d6 to presence attacks, modified by reputation, conditions, etc. I decided gestures, incantations, and extra time aren't required because, even though these things are almost always involved, Masaru seems to always pull something off even when he's restrained or rushed. The only real restriction is that the player must think of a new and surprising special effect every time the power is activated, using whatever circumstances will allow to do something stupid.

Since I like to simulate perfectly, I would probably make a house rule for my campaign to allow this:

The Sexy Commando: 90 PRE, Reduced Maximum Effect (+0), (AP 90); Only In Combat (-1), Must Achieve Surprise (-1) (RC 30)

Reduced Maximum Effect means a roll of EGO or INT +25 causes 0 DCV and a full turn of inaction, but this is the maxiumum and a roll of EGO or INT +30 does nothing more.

Oh man, I LOVE that scene with the Puma sisters! What is it with the cat-woman fetish anyway? It's also done in Outlaw Star and Escaflowne.

As for the weird physics of hiding swords in places that wouldn't normally conceal anything, even immortal guys seem to conceal their swords while weraing only T-shirts and shorts. I'd define it as weird biology instead. My theory is that immortals have deep.... how do I word this delicately... orifices in their backsides where they can sneak in their weapons through metal detectors. Perhaps the Puma sisters have that strange physiology as well.

Combat Striptease: 4d6 Entangle (mental paralysis), Takes No Damage From Physical Attacks (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4) (AP 60); Only Works On Men (-1), Restrainable (-1/2), RSR (PS: Stripping, -1/2) (RC 20)

Now there's a really twisted power...:D

Space Cadet :cool:

If the targets' EGO or PRE +30 is rolled, the target is reduced to 0 DCV and may surrender, run away, or faint. The 0 DCV effect is right but the complete surrender is a bit too much.

I'm looking for something somewhere in between these two effects, so maybe I should make some house rules about a roll of EGO or PRE +25. Or maybe I could just call punching the opponent out a special effect of the +30 roll instantly ending a fight.

Two things. It is only MAY surrender, run away or faint; the opponent doesn't have to do any of these.

What you've suggested is OK, but you could still roll EGO or PRE + 30. Your second suggestion is better, although surely it's more like them fainting than giving up. You'd still have the problem of the fact that that is an OPTIONAL effect of a +30 PRE attack.

The GM might OK this, but it seems too powerful for a KO EVERY time, virtually guaranteed. Also +90 PRE is going to be well over the Active Points cap for most campaigns. Well at least I would watch out for PRE attacks in the 22d6 range (you said he has a high PRE to start with). That's an average roll of 77. Doctor Destroyer would notice that!

Of course, if you are just building this as an intellectual exercise; fine, but I think you are talking about an actual game, so watch out for this being overpowering.

Yes, to build a maneuvre, you'd need UMA (or help, of course:) ). It sounds to me like this is just a big HA (number of dice dictated by your campaign), probably 0 END (like MA moves are in HERO), but subject to a Limitation that it only works against someone subject to the effects of at least a +20 effect PRE Attack.

The value of that Limitation varies depending on how many dice of Presence he gets. At the level you've suggested, it would only be a -1/4 (attack is useless against inanimate objects and automata only). Of course, if there are lots of robots and zombies in you campaign, then it might be -1/2.

Perhaps the extra HA is STUN only (-0), to reflect the fact that it's a strike to a distracted foe rather than any more deadly than the normal punch.

So it works like this:-

1. He drops his trousers, rolls his eyes up into his head, sings "Stairway to Heaven" in Swahili, whatever and makes a PRE Attack using his bonus PRE.

2. If he gets at least a +20 result, the opponent is at 1/2 or even 0 DCV.

3. He strikes using perhaps a regular Martial Strike (punch), but gets an extra load of dice (probably 4-8d6 extra, depending on campaign levels and how strong the existing attack is). Again, if you want this to be a really big "guaranteed KO" power, it will a) cost you, B) need GM approval (unless you have very high point caps for powers).

An alternative to the HA, or possibly added to it is Find Weakness with Punch, with the roll bought up and subject to the same Limitation about the success of the PRE Attack. I don't think that reflects what you want, but thought I'd suggest it.

Any use?

I agree that a KO every time is too powerful, so I'm going to try to control it heavily when I use it in a game. I would either use this house ruled form of the power...

The Sexy Commando: 90 PRE, Reduced Maximum Effect (+0), (AP 90); Only In Combat (-1), Must Achieve Surprise (-1) (RC 30)

Reduced Maximum Effect means a roll of EGO or INT +25 causes 0 DCV and a full turn of inaction, but this is the maxiumum and a roll of EGO or INT +30 does nothing more.

...or I would just rule that the EGO +30 roll can only instantly finish off unimportant opponents. At any rate, I really wanted to force the player to roll a martial arts attack and damage to actually beat their enemy, but just have a nearly guaranteed hit.

I think it's still fairly unbablanced as it is, so I would aggressively enforce the requirment that the player must think of a special effect that suprises me, and probably force them to make it funny as well. I'm also considering giving the ability a single charge, since everyone seems to use it only once per episode.

You make a good point about this ability completely demolishing the active point cap. I usually stick between 60 and 75, even in superheroic campaigns.

The Sexy Commando: 60 PRE, Reduced Maximum Effect (+0), (AP 60); Only In Combat (-1), Must Achieve Surprise (-1) (RC 20)

This would still give 12d6 of presence. That should be enough if you already had a pretty good presence. Masaru's ridiculously powerful attack represents the fact that he is a master of the Sexy Commando, but other players may just have normal PRE and less of a guaranteed hit, similarly to the power level of the other sexymates in the Sexy Commando Club.

The Find Weakness form sounds reasonable but I think I would have to link it to some sort of stunning effect to get an accurate simulation.

The Sexy Commando: Find Weakness 15- with martial arts attacks (AP 40); Must Achieve Surprise (-1), Linked (-1/2) (RC 16).

plus 3d6 Entangle (mental paralysis), Takes No Damage From Physical Attacks (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4) (AP 45); Must Achieve Surprise (-1), (RC 22). Total Cost: 38

The surprise need only be achieved on the first usage, then each consecutive hit with find weakness will just work. Maybe it should have AOE, but it's pretty expensive already.

After using the Sexy Commando to lower the enemies' guard, I would finish them off with a "normal karate punch," which probably be a martial strike with 5 or 6 added damage classes, costing around 25 points. I'm leaving the specific finisher attack method for any given character up to the player.

Thanks for all the help Arrow, your ideas should get me started, then maybe I can add more stuff after I check out UMA.

You're welcome.

One other thing which crossed my mind; AID to PRE, so that he's scary for a while after he's dropped his trousers or whatever, but eventually it fades, as people get used to it. It MIGHT be slightly more realistic than his PRE boosting once and at a set level, especially if he flubs his attack roll.

Perhaps as a house rule, he gets a certain number of points per die depending on how bizarre the action is, a kind of "non-standard standard effect roll". For example, he starts talking in Esperanto = 1 point per die; he whips out a marionette and starts making out with it as he attacks, 4 points per die, etc. Of course, realism appears to have very little to do with this martial art.:)

The way it works in the show, the presence effect is actually instantly there and gone, always set at overpowering no matter what is done, and only usable in certain ways anyway, so it's inadvertently appropriate to represent it with limitations on presence. Don't worry about realism, simplicity and zaniness is enough for this campaign.

I like your idea about turning the "non-standard" effect roll, but it involves more subjectivity as to what I think is wierd or funny than the On or Off style limitation I originally had in mind. I'll talk to the players and see how they feel about it. I'll probably offer it as a (+0) type optional power modifier.

...he whips out a marionette and starts making out with it as he attacks...

You, sir, are a true master of the Sexy Commando. Please do not use this awesome power for evil!

He's a bit old, but if those 40 somethings on Beverly Hills 90210 could play teenagers, so can he.

masaru.jpg

New techniques from episode 18! The unzipping the pants thing is called the Melancholy of Elise.

masaru2.jpg

And the secret defense against the Sexy Commando is closing your eyes, but you'll probably lose the fight anyway, since you're blind.