Modeling a restraining device for supers

Wanderer

I'm trying to adapt to superheroic stuff and stat it up for Hero an idea I got from the Son Goku legend and combine it with the concept of power negators. A restraining device for rebellious or untrustworthy superhumans that are forced to work for the government under duress, or as a condition of a commuted sentence, and forcibly drafted into a black-ops or super-soldier team, being fit with a control restraining device. Or even if they are mostly recruited of their free will, get along with the other members of the super-team, and would freely subscribe many of the missions they are given, sometimes their psych issues or rebellious impulses would overcame them in a way unacceptable to their overseers, and they occasionally have to be brought down by their restraining device.

The item would consist in a pair of bracers (or other appropriate forms like headbands, belts, collars, etc.) that on command may paralyze the super or incapacitate him with pain, pleasure, or nausea (user’s choice), or even negate the character's powers. Top government officials, and the government team liaison and the team leader would have the codes to activate the device either by vocal command, or by radio code. It should be possible to put this device on a character only out of combat, when the subject is not struggling or resisting, just like removing an Inaccessible Focus. The item may, or may not, automatically attack the character that tries to remove or tamper with it.

Notwithstanding the fact that the main use of this device would be as a control tool for NPCs on PCs, I would still find useful to stat the device's features, for various reasons (not the least of them, that this might also see use as a general template for power negators in some settings).

This the tentative writeup of the device I've done. Please review and comment on it:

Restraining Device: Multipower, 300-point reserve, (300 Active Points); all slots Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

1) Neural Feedback Inducer: Ego Attack 7d6 (Human class of minds), Variable Special Effects (fatigue, nausea, pain, pleasure) (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Trigger (voice/radio command) (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire (device is hit), Two activation conditions apply simultaneously; +1), Continuous (+1) (297 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)

2) Neural Disruption: Suppress STR, DEX, INT, EGO, PRE, SPD, STUN, and Mutant/Mutate Powers 10d6, all affected Characteristics and Mutant/Mutate Powers simultaneously (+2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (deactivated by removing device from victim) (+1/2), Trigger (voice/radio command) (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire (device is hit), Two activation conditions apply simultaneously; +1), Continuous (+1) (300 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

3) Autonomic Disruption: Entangle 6d6, 7 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Variable Special Effects (any autonomic body function) (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (voice/radio command) (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire (device is hit), Two activation conditions apply simultaneously; +1), Continuous (+1) (292 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2), Vulnerable (mental attacks) (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Vulnerable (biomanipulation attacks) (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Can Be Dispelled (-1/4)

Issues I'm still undecided about:

Would this work better as an Elemental Control, an MP with fixed slots, or an MP with flexible slots ?

Would the Ego Attack work better if based on Con, and/or the Entangle if BoECV ?

I've statted it as an OIF, since this is what better resembles the way the device would work on the subject. Yet, power negator devices are generally done as OAF in Champions. What's the best option ?

In either case, would be correct to put a limitation that the Device Can Only Be Initially Used On Unresisting Characters, or would this be part of the Focus ?

It seemed to me that the best way to stat this device would be as an Independent No Range Focus, that is remotely activated with a Trigger (voice or radio command). Have I modeled it accurately ? Are two kind of command (vocal and radio) one or two Trigger conditions ? Should a feature be added that activates the device in the case the subject tampers with it ? And in such a case, should it better modeled with another MP slot, or another (second ? third ?) Trigger condition ?

Re: Modeling a restraining device for supers

If it's OIF, then it (to me) has the same requirments putting it on as it does taking it off, generally.

Well, actually, that depends. Are rings considered OIF? I don't think they are...

As with anything, it depends on how easy you want it to be able to be taken away. I've made rings OAF before, I've made guns OIF.

If a supressor is made OAF instead of OIF, that means that someone can grab it off of them as an action in combat.

That's certainly throwing the points at the problem.

I tend to favour smaller and more tailored approaches: a 1d6 constant ego attack will keep most characters you have KO'd unconscious, and only costs 25 active.

Similarly a 1d6 drain, all mutant powers (+2), constant (+1) 0 END persistent (+1) and reduced recovery (every 5 minutes (+1/2) weighs in at a hefty 55 points before limitations but turns any mutant into a normal given a minute or so before they start struggling....

It seems to me the trigger is probably only to turn the inhibitor off - presumably it is designed to usually be working.

No it isn't. Although it might be certainly used as an always-on power negator in superhuman prisons and the like, the principal use I've foreseen is for superhumans in a "Suicide Squad" or "Liberty Project" situation (rogue superhuman forcibly drafted to work for the governemnt in a black-ops/super-soldier arrangement as a condition for their _relative_ freedom), and hence the device would only be activated on super PCs (and NPCs) as an extreme measure, when they really go over the line and seriously disobey or displease their overseers or become totally uncontrollable.

I got the main idea from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Wukong#Havoc_in_the_Heavenly_Kingdom

While I can understand your drive to fully stat this out, I never have in all the years of GMing Supers. You slap some wristbands, belts, anklets on and their powers stop working. Call it a GM fiat, plot device, etc. It just works.

As a GM you can use as many points as you want. So you could, in effect, build the devices on 10,000 points. Just tell them their powers don't work and call it a day.

While I can understand your drive to fully stat this out, I never have in all the years of GMing Supers. You slap some wristbands, belts, anklets on and their powers stop working. Call it a GM fiat, plot device, etc. It just works.

As a GM you can use as many points as you want. So you could, in effect, build the devices on 10,000 points. Just tell them their powers don't work and call it a day.

Statting GM devices out fully helps to decide how and when characters may be eventually successful into defeating them. :cool:

Statting GM devices out fully helps to decide how and when characters may be eventually successful into defeating them. :cool:

If they come up with a good idea, just give it to 'em! I'm a no frills kind of guy. Shrug.