HERO: Combat Evolved [Equipment Posts & Comments]

Thia Halmades

This project has a new name. It is now:

HERO: Combat Evolved

This is it, the official "Thia got off his rear and finally started putting this into HERO Designer" HALO thread. I hope you all enjoy what I've got coming; when this is done (and now, finally, i can do it with far less pain) I'll be contacting Arooo to have him put it up on StarHeroFanDom. For your consumption, I give you, in this first post:

-- Human Arsenal, in .hdp format. For those of you who do not have HDv3, please pick it up, however, I am more than happy to post individual weapons for those who really really want them but don't have HD. This group includes:

MA5B Assault Rifle [Halo 1], M90 MK.I Shotgun [Halo 1/2/3], M6D SA Pistol [Halo 1,3], M6C SA Pistol [Halo 2], BR55 Battle Rifle [Halo 2], M7 Caseless SMG [Halo 2], W/AV M6 G/GNR [Halo 3], M19 SPNKr [Halo 1/2/3], SRS99C-S2 AM Sniper Rifle [Halo 1/2/3], UNSC Grenade Packages (M9 HE-DP, Smoke, Sonic).

- UNSC Equipment List

- Covenant Equipment list

- UNSC M12 Warthog LRV added 02.27.07

- UNSC M808B Scorpion MBT added 02.27.07

- UNSC Skyhawk added 02.27.07

- UNSC Scorpion ATM 02.27.07 (Follower of Skyhawk as guided missile)

- UNSC DC-T77 Pelican 03.01.07

- UNSC Albatross (Bigger, Badder, Pelican)

- UNSC Halcyon Class Cruiser

- UNSC C709 Longsword Interceptor

- UNSC Shiva Nuclear Missile

- UNSC FFG 142 Class Frigate

- UNSC Marine Package Deal

- UNSC ODST Package Deal

- Covenant Ghost

- Covenant Brute Chopper

- Covenant Spectre

- Covenant Shadow

To save space, I will be posting all updates to the front thread, however, I'll try to remember to link back here as necessary. I'm not going for an order in particular, but look for the Covenant weapons next. I will start including weapons that are in the books, not just in the games. I'm not sure how to build a Napalm grenade (continuing charge? ED?)

Enjoy.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Halo HERO [Equipment Posts & Comments]

I'm not sure how to build a Napalm grenade (continuing charge? ED?)
Not sure I remember the Napalm grenade, is that the blue one that you stick to the victim and then it explodes? No that one was the Plasma Grenade. Hmmmn. Based entirely on the name...

I would probably do it as a compound power. Power 1 would be your standard grenade explosion, while Power 2 would be a CC RKA vs ED with an Activation to see if the splashing Napalm hits. This is of course just a guess.

Guest Major Tom

Do I need any particular software to open a .hdp file? I'd like to check out the

HALO stuff, but I don't want to download the file and wind up not being able

to open it.

Major Tom :dyn

Not sure I remember the Napalm grenade, is that the blue one that you stick to the victim and then it explodes? No that one was the Plasma Grenade. Hmmmn. Based entirely on the name...

I would probably do it as a compound power. Power 1 would be your standard grenade explosion, while Power 2 would be a CC RKA vs ED with an Activation to see if the splashing Napalm hits. This is of course just a guess.

You don't remember it because it's in the books, not the game. I'm trying to model everything, Halo 1/2/3, Fall of Reach, Ghosts of Onyx, the whole nine yards. While there're a whole bunch of things that Nyland wrote that I think are crap, the equipment is still there, and it's officially part of the "HALOverse." So I endeavor to be complete.

Curufea: How do I open an XML file? :think: I don't even know that one. And thank you for linking back. Those are "original" designs, and these are "final" designs. I upped the total damage output on the MA5B, modified things here and there, and so on.

Not sure how I'm going to handle the Needler without legally using a Cumulative. I think I'll just make it a Compound Power.

And Tom: please, please go buy a copy of HERO Designer. It makes the entire process infinitely less painful.

XML files can often be opened with your browser, excepting that you get the XML code tags which are a little distracting. I'm sure there are XML viewers out there somewhere, but I heartily second the buying Hero Designer option. I know there are some circumstances which defy my thinking, but if you can afford an internet connection, you can afford $25 (U.S.).

Apologies to those who DL'd this earlier -- I've made some adjustments (added recoil comps to the BR55, added NV to the Sniper Rifle, cleaned up some text, fixed all the STR Minimums). Apologies, had no idea I was missing that much information.

However, I have manned up & fixed it. Please up load the new version. Thank you!

XML files are straight text files.

Ignore the various extensions that they have, just open them with notepad, wordpad, notetab pro or whatever text editor you like to use.

It's how I managed to modify an export template for Hero Designer to suit my Hero Wiki. You can't actually modify templates within the program itself. At least - not yet you can't.

Further note: It's not me, it's HDv3. It keeps reverting my STR mins back to "1-5" because it opens in freaking Super Heroic. Please let me know if you need the exact breakdown, but for your purposes, all small arms (rifles, pistols, etc.) are 6-14; heavy arms (rocket launcher, laser cannon) are 15+.

The Covenant Base Arsenal is now up; it includes the mobile plasma turret, something omitted (for some reason) from Halopedia's listing of the UNSC equipment list, which I'll fix later on. Regardless, there's both sides for straight armament. I'll be doing vehicles now.

Whew.

There is a maximum of 4 files that I can attach to a single post, so apologies in advance that this is broken up. Here are:

- UNSC Skyhawk

- UNSC Scorpion ATM (Follower for the Skyhawk)

Eventually I'll have everything done and it'll be up on Arooo's site, but for now, my apologies. Also, I hope to develop a web page using Share Point to showcase a lot of this stuff as well. News on that as it develops.

This is the revised AGM model, removing the ATM variant above, but for those who want it, I'm leaving it up (I'm weird like that). So the revised AGM is:

45 Anvil II ASM: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6-1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (206 Active Points); 8 Charges (Must be Reloaded at a UNSC Facility; -1), OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Travels 200" per Segment, taking a minimum of 1 Segment to Reach its Target; -1/2), Infrared Tracking (Can be Countered with Flares; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4)

And while I'm thinking of it, also add: "Increased Deceleration, 12" per hex, +1/2" as this is a V/STOL craft which means it can flip the nozzles very quickly to jump to a hovering position.

Please forgive me, I appear to have fixed the problem. If I'm reading the material correctly, the SkyHawk actually has open hard points which can carry either the Scorpion Anti-Tank Missile (.hdp file above) or it can carry the 8-round ANVIL-II rocket pod (which is the post preceeding this one). This change means the following: the Scorpion retains its traits, and the ANVIL-II fulfills a different role, being a lighter warhead.

There is a lack of granularity, but the Scorpion, for what it is, is going to be around 6d6 (possibly higher, feel free to weigh in, but it's a bigger, badder tank buster).

I've added the Pelican's bigger brother, the Albatross. Honestly, there isn't enough information about this vehicle to do much more than make it larger, and add a subspace drive.

So I made it bigger and added a subspace drive.

• 2 weeks later...

No, armor hasn't been put up yet. There is a design thread for MJOLNIR IV on the other HALO thread, but I haven't finalized the design for this series of posts yet. I'd taken a hiatus for a bit (suffering from a little burn out due to the prodigious rate I was cranking on gear) but I'm going to do some work on it... right now, in fact. Once I'm done designing the damnable Slipspace Drive (see thread in HERO Discussion) I'll repost the Albatross.

I'm also thinking of changing the Longsword from the somewhat ambiguous design it has now and putting a "Slipspace Attachment" on it -- so instead of having innate jump ability, it has to get a "rocket pack" to jump, and even then, only goes a short distance. The question becomes one of fuel and distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay; I'm still really unsure how to tackle the massive cap ships that are in HALO, and thus in HERO: Combat Evolved. While the videogame doesn't focus on ship to ship engagements, there is a massive battle in the beginning of both games (the first over Installation 04, the second over Earth during the First Battle of Earth and the battle of New Mombasa).

Anyway. This is the initial crack at the Halcyon class cruiser (the same ship as the Pillar of Autumn). I'll get to work on the next one... possibly the same type as In Amber Clad but I'm not sure yet. What I really need, though, are people who are way more savvy than me going over this thing and offering feedback. Bon appetit.

April 2nd added:

- C709 Longsword Fighter/Bomber

- Shiva Nuclear Missile (Follower)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey KS;

Yeah, I'm looking for a proper hosting site; Arooo already offered, but there's a lot that I want to do with it I don't yet have the talent for. I think I'm going to be abusing my Word skills to put together a PDF of somekind, except I don't have a PDF writer, just a reader. So I'm still struggling with a lot of that.

I'm going to break from d20 spells and put together the UNSC Frigate today, I think.

UNSC C709 Longsword Fighter/Bomber has been added; for this model I scaled down the speed on the FTL drive and placed charges on it to represent its limited jump capability. I still have a Fusion Engine on there, so that may change at a later date. Again, the vehicles give me fits just because I'm unused to doing them, but again, all my projects exist for practice.

Using a model similar to the original design of the Skyhawk, I created the Shiva Warhead as a follower and attached that file as well. Additionally, it has the forward mounted 110s, the ventral 120 (a tank cannon, basically, although I used a different overall model for it), moray space mine deployment systems, and ... some extra armor, and a lot of other basics from the Pelican Dropship.

I largely did this for consistency, rather than reinventing the wheel, and I liked the feel of it. Being able to "drag & drop" worked nicely.

SO. They're up, please review and enjoy.