HERO: Combat Evolved [Equipment Posts & Comments]

Thia Halmades

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Re: HERO: Combat Evolved [Equipment Posts & Comments]

Okay. I've been working non-stop for the last week (I have a job, yay!) which means I've been too beat to even look at designs. Unfortunately, I anticipate being at work for the next month straight -- ergo, I won't be putting anything else up for a while yet. I can barely work on my own campaigns, much less indulge myself by designing HALO vehicles.

Check back here this weekend, maybe Sunday night, and I may have gotten something done. I'm working on the Frigate (In Amber Clad, the Destroyer class). I never got a chance to finish it, though, what with designing the Sor/Wiz spells. So I'm taking a break from that and I'll come back over here for a while before tackling Clerical magic.

Thank you for your continued patience.

• 2 months later...

Ages -- it feels like ages -- anyway, ages ago MudPyr asked if I had designed the armor yet. Today is that magical day. I was struggling with how best to put it into HERO Designer though; the ODST Body Suit; is it 'multiple entries' or do I count it as a 'single object' with the special effect of multiple parts (Suit, Gloves, Boots, Helmet). I chose the latter option and "created" a single new entry to the UNSC Equipment list. I've also designed & added the basic Marine SIBA (Standard Issue Body Armor). It's... not really all that exciting, but hey. It's body armor. It isn't really thrilling, just functional.

The ODST Body Suit is the model on which MJOLNIR armor is eventually built, so it's a little more indepth. I designed the whole thing as one massive compound power, primarily to represent a final "Active/Real Cost" to the user; i.e., no one runs around with "just the helmet" but at the same time it is detachable and it has its own stats.

Regardless. It looks like this:

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (ODST) Body Suit: (Total: 136 Active Cost, 59 Real Cost) Armor (7 PD/7 ED) (21 Active Points); Full Body Suit (Protects Locations 7-16) (-3/4), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); Full Helmet (Protects Locations 3-5) (-1 1/2), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Gauntlets (Protects Location 6) (-2), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); Boots (Protects Locations 17-18) (-2), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); Linked (ODST Helmet; -1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Life Support (Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (20 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (Suit has only enough oxygen for 20 minutes; -1/2), OIF (Armor Integrated; -1/2), Linked (ODST Helmet; Suit must be fully sealed for Life Support to function; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2) (Real Cost: 8) plus Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), +4 to PER Roll, Concealed (-4 with Radio Perception/Transmission PER Rolls) (18 Active Points); OIF (Integrated to Helmet; -1/2), Linked (ODST Helmet; -1/4) (Real Cost: 10) plus Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Linked (ODST Helmet; -1/2), OIF (Integrated to Helmet Visor; -1/2) (Real Cost: 2) plus +1 with Ranged Combat (5 Active Points); Linked (ODST Helmet; -1/2), OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2) plus Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group), +2 to PER Roll, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (29 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Linked (ODST Helmet; -1/4) (Real Cost: 17)

You can always give it to a NEW post, QM. It's not like I don't have 20+ in this thread; I'm sure you'll find one you like. :D And, because I need to add it (and I prefer to use space I already have rather than always coughing up a new thread) here's the UNSC SIBA, part numbers M52B, CH252 & VZG7.

M52B Body Armor: Standard Issue Marine Combat Vest (5 PD/3 ED) (12 Active Points); Standard Vest (Protects Locations 11-13; -1 1/2), OAF (-1), Real Armor (-1/4)

CH252 Helmet: Standard Issue Marine Combat Helmet (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Helmet (Protects Locations 4-5) (-2), OAF (-1), Real Armor (-1/4)

VZG7 Combat Boots: Standard Issue Marine Combat Boots (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Combat Boots (Protects Locations 16-18) (-1 1/2), OAF (-1), Real Armor (-1/4)

Notes from the File: This is the 2552 update to the UNSC Marine SIBA (Standard Issue Body Armor), the M52B. A full suit consists of vest, helmet, and heavy boots, leaving the arms & upper legs unprotected, but free to move easily. A pair of gloves are also issued with this outfit, but provide no mechanical bonuses. The vest itself contains a myriad of pockets, hooks & straps. It's fairly easy for any soldier to rig himself to a line, carry multiple clips of ammunition, etc.

Having now seen many of the weapon designs in use, I've cut down on the power of some of them, letting the Advantages carry the weight of the design rather than "the dice." So that's presenting a new way of thinking. I've cut the Galilean down to ... I think 4.5d6. The original 6.5d6 was so astonishingly horrific to watch that I couldn't leave it as-is. It splattered an annelid in power armor against the wall; just turned it into a big wormy grease stain. Yuck. So I'm "tweaking," and still looking for that "just right" feel of power. i was very fortunate to get to see some of them work though; the shotgun is fabulous, especially with the 1 Hex Accurate model on it. Hoo-Rah, indeed.

The other thing I can do is build the ODST & MJOLNIR armor as a Focus; and then installing all of the various sub abilities. If anyone wants to take a crack at that, they're welcome too. I may do it that way in a separate entry, I'm totally undecided still.

At long last I have rounded out the UNSC vehicles, other than the Mongoose (which I'll model after HALO 3 is released). I will soon being (I hope to begin, anyway) on the Covenant Vehicles. I still lack a sense of scale. I'm always worried my weapons are too powerful and/or too weak, rarely "just right." However, the UNSC MAC Cannons are clearly shown hulling enemy vessels in single shots. So 16d6 isn't totally out of the park. It's disgustingly powerful, but also highly limited.

Well, you also need Covie vehicles, some character write-ups for Master Chief, Cortana, Sgt. Johnson, BOBs, pre-fabs for Grunts, Jackals, Elites, Brutes, Prophets, and... oh yes, 343 Guilty Spark and 2741 Penitent Tangent.

And the Flood. And Gravemind. And I may be missing stuff! OH! And support weapons!!

Okay, I'm lost. Not because I can't do the thing (Steve's Dark Champions continues to be infinitely more useful than my copy of Star HERO for this campaign, although SH will be very key for designing the Covenant). Where was I?

Oh yes. For character design pre-fabs, is more reasonable to do it all as powers (so it's clear and they're all in one place) or should I go ahead and set it up as Skills, Talents, etc, as I would a normal character?

I'm leaning heavily towards the former for my own Peace of Mind. Let me know what y'all think (hey, worst case scenario you can always move it around as you see fit).

Please check the front page; I've added (to no post in particular) the new Marine Package Deal & ODST Package Deals. Dunno why I did those in particular today, but I figured, "Eh, why not?" And threw them together. There's some weirdness where "Additional Skills" cost a point of END, but that's because I couldn't figure out how to tell HD to generate an open block of skills for reference.

Oh, also note on the ODST prefab that under their Equipment the ODST Body Suit has been altered; I divorced the helmet from the main armor, although "life support" is still on the armor and now linked to the helmet. I'll mod the final posts at a later date, but it made more sense to me, mentally, to do it this way. I could do it just as a Multipower, though -- it'd be a lot cheaper. :P

• 2 weeks later...

They're characters. Make sure you're digging in the right place. Guns are Prefabs, IIRC. The ships (I believe) are characters.

Edit: Which means, straight up, when you go to open the file HDv3 will differentiate from one to the next; it knows the difference, so if you're telling it to open a prefab, it won't show you the Pelican or In Amber Clad. It'll skip right on past both of 'em because they're .hdc files. Is that more clear?

possibly the equipment thing, because i couldn't load on the wife's compy, but on mine, no prob (she was working on supers last, while i was working on Fantasy Hero stuff). not sure though. i was opening the vehicles, though, so i dunno. i also work with all of the source books loaded, while she only uses the one or two she needs. that may also have had something to do with it.

anyway, stuff looks good. are the files updated with the info in this thread (the changed missles, etc?) or do i need to make those adjustments myself? thanks again. this is AWESEOME (have been playing HALO all week before seeing this thread!)

I honestly have LOST TRACK of what got fixed where when. Seriously. If I had a larger clue I would give it to you. :D

I have to build covie vehicles. Something I might do this weekend. The Lord Captain isn't really about making promises he can't keep. He's also not usually about speaking of himself in the thrid person.

Heh. I said thrid.

FYI: I've put up a help request to the HDv3 forum so I can generate package deals correctly. Once I know the answer to that I'll put some racial packages together. Until then, I'm going to design the Ghost. First i have to find my own notes, though. :P