HERO: Combat Evolved [Equipment Posts & Comments]

Thia Halmades

Re: HERO: Combat Evolved [Equipment Posts & Comments]

OKAY. So I've finally got my first package deal designed; please look it over and let me know what y'all think. I have NOT completed their armor package yet, though, so I'll go ahead and update the Covenant Equipment Deal shortly. Things to think on should anyone be so inclined: There are variations on the Covenant, but I didn't want to dilute the system with a gazillion package deals. In this case I'm leaving the bulk of the 'choice' to everyone else. As your Elite grows, you can focus on whatever you like.

I could reasonably design two packages; Pre-Civil war and Post-Civil War; although the simplest thing to do would be:

-- Remove the Perk: Rank, and change their Hunted from Watching to Capture/Kill. That's really the dirt easy way to do it. Also be advised, or more to reiterate, I'm not going to go to the trouble of designing a "Pilot Elite" or a "Tank Driving Elite." These are all simple variations and well within the design qualifications of the player; simply add some Navigation & Banshee piloting, and you'll have yourself a pilot.

I've attached it as a character; I can't get the attachments to upload as .HDK files and I don't know why -- kept popping as an "invalid" format. So I need to ask Simon about that, dammit.

I have also attached a basic Unggoy package -- Jackals are next, I think.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thread bump.

Sorry for the delay. I'm pulling 10-12 hour days and haven't had a day off in... nearly two weeks, about to be three. My cat died, my vacation got canceled... but other than that, everything is fine.

Further updates as events warrant.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished a version I'm semi-happy with; this is my first pass at the Covenant Ghost. It may not be perfect, but I'm generally pleased with how it came out. As always, open to thoughts and considerations.

Added the Brute Chopper as well, so now all you junkies can start running real ground-based tests to see what does & doesn't work.

Clearly, I need more playtesters. :P

And rebump, as I've added the Brute Chopper. I've also added the Brute Prowler to this new block of vehicles.

The Wraith has also been added to this chain; I think I'm going to update the Prowler to Hardened armor (however, I'm hesitant to add it to squishier vehicles, like the Ghost).

I've also added the Scarab... you'll have to kind of ball park this one, because I had to do some guess work myself; it could have come out a lot worse. What I really tried to envision here was a true "mobile battle platform." So I'll let y'all be the judge of how that came out.

The Brute Chopper will make it's first appearance in HALO 3; you haven't seen that bad-boy yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to some low-scale gorenography as I run down some Covenant Loyalists with it. :D

And in case you're wondering where the speeds come from, I'm using my own Excel spreadsheet that tells me the top speed of each vehicle. I made the Ghost MUCH faster than is listed, because I wanted it to really convey the feeling of speed in a HERO game, rather than try and replicate a speed setting that wouldn't make sense out of a videogame (where the controls are very different).

I'm trying something a little different; for the bigger vehicles, I'm using core DEF and then Ablative DEF on top of that, so it starts off with 10 DEF which then gets peeled off to represent its general combat toughness, but once that's gone, it peels down to only its base DEF and is a lot easier to take down.

The Prowler, which I just put up, uses 5 Base & 5 Ablative. So let me know how you feel about that. I liked the feel of it, while Ab is something I normally ignore, I like it here.

emoticon i picked up hanging out on some heavy metal forums. its the metal horns (must be lowercase) lml, which are made by extending the index and picky, while keeping the middle and ring fingers down.

i figured it would not be understood here, which is why i added the *metal horns* bit.

btw, it basically means "THAT F*&$IN' ROCKS DUDE!! WOOOOOOO!" or something similarly awesome!

In this post you can find the Covenant Scarab.

I actually like the way it came out; as always I'm curious what you cats think. I still need to do the Banshee... and probably a couple of other simple vehicles, before getting into the whole Capital Ship mess, and then the part I actually dread, character design.