Western Hero Book

RPMiller

Does anyone have the old Western Hero Book that would like to part with on the cheap...? Perhaps I should ask another question as well. Is the Western Hero Book useful at all? I realize it is 4th edition, but does it have weapon, equipment and animal writeups? Are the western maneuvers worth having?

Re: Western Hero Book

The weapon write-ups are pretty basic. For instance there are only three handguns listed and they are generically called .45 Derringer, .38 Revolver & .45 Revolver.. Carbines listed are .38 Repeating Carbine, .45 Repeating Carbine & .45 Army Carbine. Rifles included the same calibers, but do more damage, and also include a .50 Buffalo Rifle. Most other weapons are given similar treatment, there is data for shotguns & scatterguns, Gatling Guns (.50 & 1” caliber) and a generic cannon. There is a modifier applied to pistols depending on if they are Cap and Ball, Fast Draw or Long Barrel so that allows you to build an interesting, if very generic sounding, collection of guns. The Bows and Melee weapons look kind of like they were copied from 4th Edition Fantasy Hero with some modifications to names to give them that western feel. Explosives are barely mentioned.

There is a pretty good section on other equipment of the era and some useful price lists for goods and services. There is also a listing of common professions and the wages they should earn.

The Bestiary section includes write-up for (this is the whole list): Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Donkey, Riding Horse, Trained Horse, Mule, Fox/Coyote/Hunting Dog, Wolf/Wild Dog/Large Hunting Dog, Bison/Buffalo/Ox, Bull/Cow, Mountain Lion, Wild Pig, Scorpion, Coral Snake and Rattlesnake.

I am not really sure what you mean by Western Maneuvers. There is a two page set of rules dealing with Showdowns. This is essentially a much more detailed set of rules that allow for Fast Draw Contests with lots of modifiers for things like what actions the character has declared, what type of weapon they are using, type of holster rig, and other conditions. For example you may choose to Hipshoot which will give you a +1 to your Fast Draw roll per -1 OCV you are willing to accept.

There are write-up provided for a good selection of generic arch-types (11 provided) and I count 42 historic personalities including such notables as Wild Bill Hickock, Theodore Roosevelt, Wyatt Earp & his brothers, Crazy Horse, Billy the Kid, Pat Garret, Judge Roy Bean, Custer, Buffalo Bill, Deadwood Dick, the Clantons & company, Geronimo, John Wesley Hardin, Doc Holiday, the Daltons, the James gang, the Wild Bunch.

There is a historical time-line from 1874 to 1903, not too detailed but nice. The town of Deadwood South Dakota from 1876 is provided with a map and fairly detailed write-up for starting a campaign based there. There are seven mini-scenarios, several more fleshed-out scenarios, a write-up for the historic gunfight at the OK Corral. One of the scenarios makes use of a tiny town named Custer SD but I am not sure if it is a real or fictional town. There are NPC write-ups for several of the scenarios. The book also includes a section on society in the historic west that even deals with things like racial discrimination and such.

But no, I don’t want to sell my copy.

Hey Rob, this may be a long shot, but you might try looking at Viking Hobby in Carmichael. They have a selection of used game stuff, and the last time I was there, they had a copy of Western Hero. Granted, that was a couple of years ago, but given how small the store is, and how infrequently the stock of used stuff turns over, it might be worth checking to see if it's still there... :)

not sure how rare the book is, but I've seen copies with a couple of dealers who specialize in used games

you might try titan games first

http://www.titangames.com

Checked Titan didn't find it, buuuuuuuuuut I found 5ER for $15!!! Woohoo!!

Thanks for the link! :thumbup: Repped.

Hey Rob' date=' this may be a long shot, but you might try looking at Viking Hobby in Carmichael. They have a selection of used game stuff, and the last time I was there, they had a copy of Western Hero. Granted, that was a couple of years ago, but given how small the store is, and how infrequently the stock of used stuff turns over, it might be worth checking to see if it's still there... :)[/quote']

Hm... I don't get over there very often, but I may just call them tomorrow and see if they have it. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:

Yea, I've been finding it all over, but I'm looking for a really good price since it is for a previous version, and I suspect will get replaced in the not too distant future.

I will probably end up just using our - Gold Rush Games - western book, Gunslingers. It has a very extensive weapons section, animals and gear lists. I'll just have to do some conversions, but since Action! System is d6 based it shouldn't be extremely hard. I would still rather find the book, but I may start looking locally more than online.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time convincing my players to get into a Western game, even the ones who have seen a lot of Westerns. One doesn't want to play because she's only seen the BAD Westerns, and the other can't handle a game where he doesn't actually have real, legitimate superhuman powers that set him apart from everyone else. Great roleplayer, mind you, just needs for his characters to be something other than "norms."

That said, I was never overly impressed with Western Hero. If you're going to do a Western Game, you should probably get it just so you have a baseline for the conversions of additional gear and stuff from something else, like Sidewinder or Gunslinger.

Now, Ninja Hero... that was a supplement. But one of my favorites is still the old FH/Rolemaster dual-use supplement, Mythic Greece. Stats for the Gods, baby. Awesome.

Now' date=' Ninja Hero... that was a supplement. But one of my favorites is still the old FH/Rolemaster dual-use supplement, Mythic Greece. Stats for the Gods, baby. Awesome.[/quote']

Did you ever see Aaron Alston's Fourth Edition HERO update of Mythic Greece, including the god stats?

That said' date=' I was never overly impressed with Western Hero. If you're going to do a Western Game, you should probably get it just so you have a baseline for the conversions of additional gear and stuff from something else, like Sidewinder or [b']Gunslinger[/b].

Emphasis mine. That would be "Gunslingers". Thank you for the mention! :thumbup: *Checks credits page* .oO(Yup, my name is still there.) :sneaky::drink:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that the Western Hero genre book was on of the best ever produced by Hero Games. I ran a short lived campaign using it.

Yep, I agree. Unfortunately the only campaign I played in was short lived too. The GM just didn't get Westerns and it spoiled the genre for the group, so nobody wanted to give it another try with another GM.

Only thing I would have changed is the weapons should have been more detailed. While the rules allowed some variety .45 revolver just isn't as cool as S&W No.3, Colt Navy, Walker Dragoon etc

I should be starting a Western Hero game within the next month or two on Hero Central. I will be pulling in a lot of resources and all maps, npcs etc will be created before I start.

The application process is going to be fairly restrictive as well.

I should be starting a Western Hero game within the next month or two on Hero Central. I will be pulling in a lot of resources and all maps, npcs etc will be created before I start.

The application process is going to be fairly restrictive as well.

Sweet!

:tup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time convincing my players to get into a Western game, even the ones who have seen a lot of Westerns. One doesn't want to play because she's only seen the BAD Westerns, and the other can't handle a game where he doesn't actually have real, legitimate superhuman powers that set him apart from everyone else. Great roleplayer, mind you, just needs for his characters to be something other than "norms."

That said, I was never overly impressed with Western Hero. If you're going to do a Western Game, you should probably get it just so you have a baseline for the conversions of additional gear and stuff from something else, like Sidewinder or Gunslinger.

Now, Ninja Hero... that was a supplement. But one of my favorites is still the old FH/Rolemaster dual-use supplement, Mythic Greece. Stats for the Gods, baby. Awesome.

Maybe a "Deadlands" style game? I always thought "Deadlands" using the HERO system would be a good fit.

Maybe a "Deadlands" style game? I always thought "Deadlands" using the HERO system would be a good fit.

Since I have never even looked at any of its books, I have to ask.

Isn't Deadlands just buffy'ish Neck-munchers (Vamps) and fleabags (Weres) in an old west setting? White Wolf without the angst?

Also the reason I never picked up a copy even to read, but with so many people who seem to like it, I thought I'd at least ask....

Since I have never even looked at any of its books, I have to ask.

Isn't Deadlands just buffy'ish Neck-munchers (Vamps) and fleabags (Weres) in an old west setting? White Wolf without the angst?

Also the reason I never picked up a copy even to read, but with so many people who seem to like it, I thought I'd at least ask....

Kinda. Lots of other demony goodness and player characters can have some strange stuff too. "Hucksters" that use magic, "Mad Scientists" that use strange inventions, Indian Shamans, etc.

I always wanted to make a Gunfighter/Priest that uses a holy pistola (ala Supernatural), exorcism and the good book to lay the smack down on the unholy scourge. Played by Clint Eastwood of course. :D

Though I don't own any of the books, after flipping through them at the FLGS, I just never quite shined to the system much but loved the setting and thought HERO could do a good job of it.

I just mentioned it since you could always sell it to your one player as "Supernatural" meets Wild, Wild West so it's not really a "western", your other player could make a character with a special ability/supernatural power that sets him apart from everyone else and you get to run the western game you want.

I just mentioned it since you could always sell it to your one player as "Supernatural" meets Wild, Wild West so it's not really a "western", your other player could make a character with a special ability/supernatural power that sets him apart from everyone else and you get to run the western game you want.

Strangly, it isn't a case of me trying to "sell" it. I really don't have any interest in the "genre" at all. All the Buffy/Angel/White Wolf angst'isms did for me, was to utterly destroy any use/interest of anything Vamp/Were in my games. Instead of them being horrific dark beings, all the players think "buffy" and they become about as threatening as Pokemon. Whenever I see a Deadlands book on the shelf the cover art screams "Buffy" "Pokemon" rather than anything interesting. Stoker probably has friction burns from turning over in his grave.

Just an opinion of course, but cover art is just as likely to drive off a potential customer as attract one. Kinda like GW's dwarves with mohawks and nose rings ensured I never bought anything else from them either.