Wrestling HERO

The Main Man

Re: Wrestling HERO

I've been toying for years with the idea of doing a pro wrestling game, but I always get stuck with same problems: how to handle pins and the size problem with the ring (it's way too small) are the main. For the size issue, I could always use a miniscale (i.e. 1 normal hex= 1/2 ring hex). But for the pin, no idea.... I tough of a 12 segments count (4 segments= 1 seconde), just for the kick of having a lot of 2 count, but I feel that's not the best way to go. Does anyone have a system to handle this very specific situation? Or will I have to wait for Lucha Hero?

I've been toying for years with the idea of doing a pro wrestling game' date=' but I always get stuck with same problems: how to handle pins and the size problem with the ring (it's way too small) are the main. For the size issue, I could always use a miniscale (i.e. 1 normal hex= 1/2 ring hex). But for the pin, no idea.... I tough of a 12 segments count (4 segments= 1 seconde), just for the kick of having a lot of 2 count, but I feel that's not the best way to go. Does anyone have a system to handle this very specific situation? Or will I have to wait for Lucha Hero?[/quote']

That was always my problem, until I sat back and though about professional wrestling.

It's fake, so you should build it through a kayfabe lens.

Build them as if you were a mark.

I was trying to use the "HERO Boards" export style, but without further ado, here he is, John Cena - a prototype if you catch my drift:

JOHN CENA

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [5]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

18 CON 16 13-

14 BODY 8 12-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

10 PD 5 Total: 10 PD (0 rPD)

8 ED 4 Total: 8 ED (0 rED)

4 SPD 13 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

9 REC 0

36 END 0

36 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 101

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 5"/10"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

2 Heavyweight: Knockback Resistance -1"

13 Main Eventer: Physical Damage Reduction, 50%; STUN Only (-1/2)

15 Overcomes the Odds: Luck 3d6

2 Won't Back Down: +5 PRE; Only To Resist Presence Attacks (-1)

10 You Can't See Me!: Find Weakness 11- with Five Knuckle Shuffle

4 5-Knuckle Shuffle +0 +2 7d6 Strike

4 Break Grapple +0 +0 40 STR vs. Grabs

3 FU +0 +2 7d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

5 Grappling Block +1 +1 Grab One Limb, Block

5 Running Hip Toss +0 +0 5d6 +v/5; Target Falls; FMove

3 Suplex +2 +1 5d6 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls

4 STFU -2 +0 Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND

Perks

15 Fringe Benefit: WWE Champion

2 Reputation: 3-Time WWE Champion (A large group) 11-, +1/+1d6

9 Reputation: Reigned for over 1 Year as WWE Champion (A large group) 14-, +3/+3d6

3 Contact: John Cena, Sr. (Very Good relationship with Contact) 8-

Skills

15 +3 with HTH Combat

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Climbing 12-

3 Combat Driving 12-

3 Hoist 12-

3 KS: Brawling (INT-based) 12-

2 KS: Power Wrestling 11-

1 KS: Technical Wrestling 8-

3 PS: Rapping (INT-based) 12-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 Sleight Of Hand 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

1 WF: Assault Rifles/LMGs, Fist-Loads

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 148

Total Cost: 249

75+ Disadvantages

10 Enraged: Ruthless Aggression (Common), go 8-, recover 14-

15 Hunted: Jonathan Coachman 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)

20 Hunted: Randy Orton 14- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Psych. Lim.: Refuses to Back Down (Common, Strong)

10 Reputation: Generates the "Wrong Kind of Heat", 11-

104 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 249

So yeah, if anyone has any tips on improving the write-up please respond: let's try and make a whole federation's worth of wrestlers!

Also, does any one know the best way to get a character sheet onto a post? It just removes any indents that are there for some reason.

My next project is probably... well, you might be able to guess.

I've been toying for years with the idea of doing a pro wrestling game' date=' but I always get stuck with same problems: how to handle pins and the size problem with the ring (it's way too small) are the main. For the size issue, I could always use a miniscale (i.e. 1 normal hex= 1/2 ring hex). But for the pin, no idea.... I tough of a 12 segments count (4 segments= 1 seconde), just for the kick of having a lot of 2 count, but I feel that's not the best way to go. Does anyone have a system to handle this very specific situation? Or will I have to wait for Lucha Hero?[/quote']

For ring size, I think you're on the right track, a smaller scale would be better.

I would think that a pin should be simulated with the normal grabbing rules. Look over them and see what I mean.

For submission and tapping out, I think that the wounding rules would suffice.

Really? The name of the match is a "Battle Royal" so wouldn't a plural of it be Battle Royals? It's not like it is brothers-in-law.

It's one of those instances in which the adjective is after the noun (the way it usually is in French, for example). The noun is what's plural, so it's Battles Royal. See also "Attorneys General" or "Surgeons General".

I would think that a pin should be simulated with the normal grabbing rules. Look over them and see what I mean.

Well yeah, I tought about that, but my problem is more with the count. I mean, 3 segments? Let's say you build someone like Yokozuna, a big mean man with uber-defense and body, but only 2 in speed. Now let's say a speedster use a hold action in phase 5 and by some combination of good strategy and sheer luck manage to knock out the Big Man. In phase 6 he grabs (pins) him. At the end of phase 6, the Big Man can recover, but won't be able to act again until phase 12 (unless you consider breaking a pin a defensive action, wich is making a lot of sense now that I think about it).

I just think that using 3 segments=3 secondes will not help give the numerous pins and last second break out. Maybe a 1 count = 2 secondes would be a good alternative. Let me know what you think.

As for your John Cena, nice job, really cool. It's very similar to my wrestler prototypes. They're home brewed with just a pinch of rip-off. I'll post one if you're interested.

I've been toying around with the idea of keeping track of the STR vs. STR rolls when in a Grab...

...say, upon a sucessful Grab, that's a "One!" count.

On the first escape attempt, if the holdee escapes, no pin. If the holder wins, keep track of the Body amount by which he succeeds. "Two!"

On the second escape attempt, if the holdee escapes, no pin. If the holder wins, add the Body amount by which he succeeds. If the total Body is more than some number, he's pinned "Three! dingdingding" If the number is equal to or less than the number, the holdee is still held, but got his shoulder up/put a foot on the ropes/otherwise stopped a pin.

The 'pin number' should have modifiers on it for how long the match has gone on, how much damage has been sustained, and so on.

Hope this helps.

[edit]

For a straight-up Wrestling Hero, I'd make all the wrestlers the same Speed. Use Dex, Lightning Reflexes and Combat/Penalty skill levels to differentiate between Rey Mysterio Junior and Andre The Giant...

[/edit]

Well yeah, I tought about that, but my problem is more with the count. I mean, 3 segments? Let's say you build someone like Yokozuna, a big mean man with uber-defense and body, but only 2 in speed. Now let's say a speedster use a hold action in phase 5 and by some combination of good strategy and sheer luck manage to knock out the Big Man. In phase 6 he grabs (pins) him. At the end of phase 6, the Big Man can recover, but won't be able to act again until phase 12 (unless you consider breaking a pin a defensive action, wich is making a lot of sense now that I think about it).

I just think that using 3 segments=3 secondes will not help give the numerous pins and last second break out. Maybe a 1 count = 2 secondes would be a good alternative. Let me know what you think.

As for your John Cena, nice job, really cool. It's very similar to my wrestler prototypes. They're home brewed with just a pinch of rip-off. I'll post one if you're interested.

Sure, go ahead and post; let's make a HERO Wrestling Fed!

• 1 month later...

That's what I use. Do you run a game? Is it straight wrestling, or more like a lucha movie in the USA? How do you handle rope? I thought about using the bouncing utilization of the acrobatics skill in the Ultimate Skill. Basically, it adds +2 of running to people bouncing of ropes. I'm not to happy about that, it doesn't feel right. Any Idea?

I'm not currently running a game.

I take a long, careful time to develop a campaign, and then they usually go off without a hitch.

It's supposed to simulate kayfabe wrestling shows as seen on television.

I think that you are on to something with the bouncing analogy, but it doesn't quite explain Super Heavyweights and Ultra Heavyweights.

Speaking of which, I remember coming up with a set of Perks relating to a wrestler's card.

1 CP Low Card - The wrestler can expect to be on TV and be in matches regularly.

2 CP Upper Low Card - This guarantees TV time for a Low Card wrestler.

3 CP Mid Card - Guaranteed TV Time, can request matches occasionally, can contend for lower card championships (Cruiserweight, Tag Team, etc)

4 CP Upper Mid Card - Guaranteed TV time, can request matches regularly, can contend for higher card championships (Intercontinental, United States, etc)

5 CP High Card - Guaranteed TV time, can request matches frequently, can contend for the top title (World, WWE, TNA, etc)

6 CP Upper High Card - Guaranteed TV time, can request nearly any match, can contend for the top title (World, WWE, TNA, etc)

+1 CP Champion - Guaranteed TV time, can request any match, but must defend title if obligated to

I think that there is something missing to the Perk part of a wrestler's status (I have some other things in other departments, so don't fret).

Maybe something to do with Reputations, Money, etc.

Thoughts?

Personally, I use Reputation a lot. To simulate the pop, I play it like a PRE attack from the wrestler against the crowd, so reputation plays a big part in my game. Each level of success adds 1 DC to the character's next attack. And PRE attacks against crowd are a full phase action.

Reputation greatly varies, depending on recent events. For example, being a current champion is a +1d6 to any PRE attack against a crowd. Winning certain special events or performing incredible feat can also increase Reputation. Reputation: King of the Ring +1d6, or something like that.

Since you're in preparation, do you work on writeups? Care to share?

I like that Reputation + PRE Attack use; I think I'll have to incorporate that.

One of the problems I have is making sure that wrestlers do not get knocked out too quickly.

I have determined a sort of system based on a character's card.

Low Card wrestlers take 2xSTUN from higher card wrestlers, while High Card Wrestlers have 50% Damage Reduction against anyone.

Mid Card wrestlers have neither and are in the middle.

I also have a system based on weight class.

Cruiserweights take 2xSTUN from Ultra-Heavyweights and 1.5xSTUN from Super-Heavyweights.

Heavyweights take 1.5xSTUN from Ultra-Heavyweights.

Super Heavyweights have 25% Damage Reduction versus Cruiserweights, but they must perceive the attack.

Ultra Heavyweights have 50% Damage Reduction versus Cruiserweights and 25% versus Heavyweights, with the same restrictions.

You've already seen my John Cena write-up, although I'll still be editing it.

I've also currently been working on Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan, Kane (Masked), Randy Orton, and The Undertaker (Now).

Bear in mind that this is being done in the middle of college assignments, being a GM, and tinkering at getting my Rifts HERO campaign to work just right (it generally worked fine the first time, but when just about every character suddenly had resolution, I decided to end the campaign and shift to a different part of the world and take that opportunity to improve upon it).