Tuala Morn Discussion

Killer Shrike

Re: Tuala Morn Discussion

Its online gaming chatspeak' date=' sort of the little brother of leetspeak. A deliberate reconstruction of "I owned you", with the "p" replacing the "o" due to the frequency of that particular typo when typing fast[/quote']

I remember reading about the time one postal Diplomacy fan threatened to "purn" a rival and it became a meme among the group. That nobody had any idea what the word "purn" could possibly mean was only slightly relevant to it.

Ah, Dipdom. That takes me back. In my four-year stay in the hobby, I was probably one of the worst players on the planet.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know what, if anything, "I pwnz joo" means in English.

Well, it starts with Bill being funny and writing "I pawn you" in "accented English." In this context, "pawn" -- pwn, pwnz, whatever -- is a computer gamer way of saying "own" or "thoroughly defeat." To say to someone that "I pawned you" is a slang way of saying, "I beat you really badly and made you look like a fool."*

OK, enough of all this nonsense. Let's get back to saying great things about Tuala Morn. :D

*: I know this because it happens to me a lot in the battlegrounds in World of Warcraft. ;) Though to be fair, I think I've done my share of pwnage. :eg:

My copy of Tuala Morn arrived the other day. So far I've skimmed most of it, but what I've read in detail and really like is the bestiary. I've been reading (and imagining) about these creatures for many years, but the book that had the most influence on me was Alan Lee and Brian Froud's Faeries, published back in 1978. Putting their pictures together with Steve's descriptions has been a delight. I'm stoked.

Now to start on the rest of the book :)

• 2 weeks later...

A Cunning Plan...

This post contains spoilers from the GM chapter of Tuala Morn. Read on peril of GM fury. You have been warned.

I was statting out the Undying King, and had a truly evil idea I felt the urge to share. What if High King Davaine were under a geas such that he could only be "truly" killed by the Threefold Death--a death blow with a piercing or cutting weapon while hanging by his neck immersed in water, amounting symbolically to simultaneous cutting, hanging, and drowning? Should I go this route, I imagine Davaine going into a stream when the boar gored him--thus satisfying only two of the three conditions and, by GM fiat, resulting in his "rebirth" as the Undying King after his not-quite-dead body was buried with the talav nasc unbroken. Since the Undying King is undead and has total Life Support, only the weapon blow can "literally" kill him, but the other conditions must be symbolically fulfilled for him to be permanently slain. Player characters could take advantage of this knowledge, but only after they knew (a) that Davaine is the Undying King, and (B) that the geas exists, which of course has always been a secret. If I use this, the geas will be information known to Nuala the Proud (and to the Undying King himself, but good luck getting him to spill the beans). She was just too stricken with grief to realize that the geas her husband had told her about years before hadn't been fulfilled.

So...opinions from those bold enough to read...too much? Or too cool?

Re: A Cunning Plan...

This post contains spoilers from the GM chapter of Tuala Morn. Read on peril of GM fury. You have been warned.

So...opinions from those bold enough to read...too much? Or too cool?

V.cool.

You could also give the knowledge to a Farie. They know all kinds of things and it brings them into play in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately stores are sometimes a little slow to get new books. I think in many cases it has to do with waiting to consolidate an order with a distributor to save on shipping, but I'm sure there are many reasons. Glad the book finally got to you and that you're enjoying it!

• 2 weeks later...