'Holy Water' in a superhero game?

DataPacRat

Let's say that Our Hero is a gadgeteer with a bit of superheroing experience under her belt, and likes to be prepared for everything.

According to the comics, at least every few years, the Villain of the Month will be some sort of supernatural menace, surprisingly often vampires.

So, then, with access to Father O'Malley's blessings, how would you go about building a Holy Water Gun, Garlic Salt & Pepper Spray, Silver Nitrate Dispenser, and similar harmless-to-normal-folk equipment? I haven't found any examples in any of my HERO books yet...

Re: 'Holy Water' in a superhero game?

In most cases the creatures in question have been designed with a Vulnerability and/or Susceptibility to the appropriate substances, said substances being essentially harmless to normal humans. So IMHO the way to design these items will depend on how you want your creatures to respond to them. If they have a Vulnerability you should give your character some type of attack which does some damage against anyone, with the Special Effect of the desired substance (e.g. a "holy water canon") which therefore does increased damage to the creature. If the creature has Susceptibility I would say that a basic Change Environment would suffice as a "delivery system" to get the substance onto the target.

Re: 'Holy Water' in a superhero game?

Let's say that Our Hero is a gadgeteer with a bit of superheroing experience under her belt, and likes to be prepared for everything.

According to the comics, at least every few years, the Villain of the Month will be some sort of supernatural menace, surprisingly often vampires.

So, then, with access to Father O'Malley's blessings, how would you go about building a Holy Water Gun, Garlic Salt & Pepper Spray, Silver Nitrate Dispenser, and similar harmless-to-normal-folk equipment? I haven't found any examples in any of my HERO books yet...

Well, most of the examples you gave are just susceptibilities (like Superman has to Kryptonite) and usually don't need to be built as powers as such. They are plot device items. The question then becomes what to do in the superhero setting when your character wants to have these otherwise mundane items ready at hand all the time. A good comparison would be the cost of one of the items that IS useful against normals: Pepper Spray. Just add variable sfx to the build and determine the active cost and build slot in your Gadget Pool to cover all these effects. You just have to determine how many charges you have of each on hand.