Villain Team Name

Lord Liaden

Re: Villain Team Name

The group may refer to itself by more than one name anyway. It could have the official name as used by the founder/leader & for "formal" occasions, while the membership grunts could have a slangy name for it. What the press call them would be different again especially if the perps don't announce their group title when they turn up.

Another good way to make the final link between the creatures more of a surprise.

Well put, Single-Consonant-Dude. :) But there won't be any "membership grunts" as such. This is a collection of psychopathic monsters (by human standards) who have pretty much acted solo before Samhain drew them together. They can barely cooperate with each other, let alone supervise any support organization. If I use cultists they'll be of the Lovecraftian variety, having deluded themselves into believing that if they serve these horrors they'll be rewarded. They may try to assist these demons, but the demons themselves have no interest in humans except as victims.

The various names I use need not be things that the demons call their assemblage, or even what the media might refer to them as. One or more might arise out of omen or prophecy, which are notoriously vague and often metaphorical. That's why I'm looking for names that are more symbolic than literal.

Seven primary members? Demonic? Annoyingly vague prophesies...

Then he carried me away in spirit to a deserted place where I saw a woman seated on a scarlet beast that was covered with blasphemous names, with seven heads and ten horns.

The woman was wearing purple and scarlet and adorned with gold, precious stones, and pearls. She held in her hand a gold cup that was filled with the abominable and sordid deeds of her harlotry.

On her forehead was written a name, which is a mystery, "Babylon the great, the mother of harlots and of the abominations of the earth."

I saw that the woman was drunk on the blood of the holy ones and on the blood of the witnesses to Jesus. When I saw her I was greatly amazed.

The angel said to me, "Why are you amazed? I will explain to you the mystery of the woman and of the beast that carries her, the beast with the seven heads and the ten horns.

The beast that you saw existed once but now exists no longer. It will come up from the abyss and is headed for destruction. The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world shall be amazed when they see the beast, because it existed once but exists no longer, and yet it will come again.

(revelations 17)

Don't suppose you could work in a significant female magus and ten horns (Lesser servitors)?

How about some kind of play on The Magnificent Seven? Such as...

The Maleficent Seven

The Malevolent Seven

The Malignant Seven

etc. :)

Dammit, you rhino, why must you be a genius? I was quite pleased with myself when I came up with Maleficent Seven! I thought of it a while ago after Supreme Serpent so kindly helped me out with a villainous organization name. I think it's the best choice because it sounds the most like "magnificent," don't you?

Se7en

How is this pronounced anyway?

The Heptad - keeps it mysterious

Hell's Heptad - alliterative, and more obvious

But then I thought, you could give them a name that makes them sound more like good guys, which might make it even more scary. After all, in their demonic point of view, they're doing to the world precisely what should be done.

Divine Judgement

The Sabbath - (from the Hebrew word for "seven")

The Bringers of Peace - (after all, if everyone is dead, ...)

Restorers of Order - Demons lying? How shocking!

those might not be so good, but you get the idea.

the secret of infernal order of ebon night

That's the Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night. Not to be confused with the Illuminated and Ancient Brethren of Ee. :winkgrin:

acerbus completorium ( dark completion)

Completio obscura/opaca/atrox --- any of the three adjectives can be used, depending on the shade of meaning you're looking for. BTW, I assume you mean "dark" as in unclear, hidden, obscure. If you mean dark in color, black/gray, etc., that's a whole different set of possible translations.

"Acerbus" means sharp, bitter, sour. "Completorium" isn't a word, at least in classical Latin.

I think that the potence of the number 7 is too powerful to leave out of the name one way or the other.Aren't there Seven Seals that must be broken to herald the Revelations-flavored Apocalypse?

Seeing as their ethnic and occult origins are so widely varied, I would avoid and references to Hell specifically....the Cthulhu-ish sea thing , for example, or Li Chun, dont really have any resonance with that theme.

Alos, I would avoid Latin titles...they are from too widely varied an origin to be named like an Ars Magica covenant.

Sometimes less is more.Ever watch that animation Afro Samurai? His enemy Hunted were a order of corrupt tech-monks who called themselves The Empty Seven. Great name, right? Simple but ominous. Something with a similar ring .

The Sinister Seven has a classic ring to it, comic book wise, but maybe doesnt fit if your campaign theme is more on the dark or serious side. Points for retro cred, though.

My inner giggling Eunach sorceror is telling me to sugge4st the Seven Deadly Venoms but I amgoing to show some restraint...

You may be sadistic, but you give good advice. :thumbup:

I think I do want to avoid too close a tie to Biblical prophecies and imagery; the range of ethnic and cultural traditions here is too broad IMO. However:

The Sabbath - (from the Hebrew word for "seven")

That does intrigue me. :sneaky:

And thanks again to everyone who's contributed. You've sparked all sorts of twisted visions in the ol' noggin. :)

ahh that what i get for trying my hand at Latin lol that what i get fro trusting wiki

I was actually trying to reference the sections of the church day. wiki says Compline the final church service of the day poems from the Latin completorium

compline the service after vespers is also known as Night Prayer, Prayers at the End of the Day so iwas going for something suggesting the dark prayers at the end of day

I personally can't imagine mythical creatures sitting around giving themselves a name. I'd see it more or less as a stated purpose transferring realms and becoming a name. Like if these beings had some type of prize as a goal maybe collecting all the shards of a golden platter(or something) Look up the name in early celtic and have the heroes figure it out through investigation like "Treasure Hunters" Early Irish étail, treasure,

gìomanach a hunter; from the English game.

I always did like the word "wrath" and have used it a few times in various contexts; but there's an implication there that the wrathful parties have something to be wrathful about. This crew just likes to cause trouble for its own sake, although a few have particular issues. :eg:

Upon due deliberation and after careful weighing of all this sage input (my innate pretentious now satisfied), I've decided to use three names suggested or inspired by this thread:

The demons will refer to their group informally as The Hunt as suggested by Samhain. PCs will hear this referred to during encounters with the demons themselves.

The would-be demon worshippers call their group Pandemonium ("place of all demons"). I'll be drawing from some of the material from the excellent DEMON: Servants Of Darkness for cultist stats. The PCs shouldn't realize at first that Pandemonium and the Hunt are connected.

The Septacle is the name by which the cultists refer to their coming demonic masters, and the seven-pointed star which is their symbol. That will be one of the clues dropped which may help the heroes twig to what's going down.

Visions, prophecies, and scuttlebut in the Mystic World will bring up all these names, and perhaps one or two more from the now-substantial list that you've all provided.

I would like to thank all of you for your creative contributions. This was just what I needed to refine my nefarious scheming. :sneaky: I believe I have everything I need now, but feel free to continue offering more monikers. You never know when I or someone else reading this thread may need a name for a malevolent band of supernatural baddies. ;)

• 2 months later...

"Seven are they, Terrible are they, Unequalled in Heaven or Hell are they... They are as the wind that destroys, the fire that consumes..."

Maybe nae them after Mesopotamiam myth and call them the Annunaki, after the seven terrible demons of the void who were the ultimate power of destruction in Babylonian and Sumerian mythology?

IT LIVES AGAIN! :eg:

Thank you for the suggestions. I actually thought of the Annunaki, but not only is it regionally/culturally specific (which these demons are not), but none of them come from said region anyway. OTOH that and the Seventh Circle might be used as references to them by certain parties.

Sadly, two of the group members I was going to run this for have backed out, so it's off the agenda. :( But perhaps someone else here will have a use for the concept.

Thanks again to everyone who offered input. :)