Superhuman women and normal women

Steve

Re: Superhuman women and normal women

Oh' date=' I saw your location. I just offered them as a suggestion since they ship internationally by "USPS Destination Post Office," which means that the USPS picks up from their warehouse and distributes packages throughout the world to the Post Office in your country for delivery to you.[/quote']Yeah, but then after posatge and shipping, followed by the exchange rate, it costs more than a season box set to get one DVD. Do you see my problem?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah' date=' but then after posatge and shipping, followed by the exchange rate, it costs more than a season box set to get one DVD. Do you see my problem?[/quote']

Ah, I see now. I didn't realize regular postage to you from the US was that expensive, and I wasn't thinking exchange rates.

Australia has a poisonous mammal' date=' a poisonous octopus, and a poisonous constrictor snake. There are only three types of animals in Australia - Dangerous, Odd, and Sheep.[/quote']

I would have thought there was a fourth: "On the barbie".

Back on topic, the question has come up of "what is super-beauty?", along with "different people have different tastes, how can one woman be beautiful to everybody?"

Have you ever read JMS' "Rising Stars?" There is one character, who's name I can't remember right now, who's power is being the world's most beautiful woman. She is beautiful, but her actual power is an illusion field that changes everyone's perception of her, so that she always conforms to the exact likes of whoever is looking at her. It even works on film.

I've always thought that the ACTIONS of a super powerful character could (and perhaps should) determine how they are viewed by the public. I am sure that there are many people in the Marvel universe who would consider "She Hulk" to be a beautiful woman, despite the fact that she is tall and green skinned with quite obvious muscles. If someone looking like that saved your life i'm sure that you might consider her beautiful ! On the other hand we have "St Barbara", my character in a "Champions "campaign, who is petite, blonde, beautiful and athletic but finds that, especially in a combat situation, she has to DO something to get people to listen to her (a multi coloured fireball usually gains people's attention !;) )

Have you ever read JMS' "Rising Stars?" There is one character' date=' who's name I can't remember right now, who's power is being the world's most beautiful woman. She is beautiful, but her actual power is an illusion field that changes everyone's perception of her, so that she always conforms to the exact likes of whoever is looking at her. It even works on film.[/quote']

There is a power write-up in USPD2 that sounds a lot like this. The game effect: +20 to Seduction.

• 1 year later...

I think they do. I'm pretty sure I've seen art of kids rooms with She-Hulk posters. It seems you're more likely to see Johnny Storm on a poster than Sue' date=' though.[/quote']

Well, in their defense, it's kinda pointless to have a picture of the Invisible Woman... :D

(Arise from the grave, yon thread!)

It's interesting that the major comics franchises have done little to address this issue.

Do little girls in DC's universe play with Wonder Woman and Starfire dolls rather than Barbie and Skipper?

Do guys in Marvel's universe hang posters of She-Hulk or Sue Storm instead of Halle Berry in their bedrooms?

I found this kind of ironic, because of all the impossibilities.

For example, the average American human female is about 5' 5" tall, with the male at 5' 9". Wonder Woman was at one point 5' 10" (Although I hear she's grown to like 6' now. Yay artists) And Starfire is 6' 4". On the Marvel side, She-Hulk is 6' 7", but at least Mrs. Reeds/Sue Storm was, at last count, something like 5' 7-8", maybe a bit less.

Honestly, I think most girls would 'give up' their dreams of being like these women once they're old enough to realize that they'll never be that tall. Just like most women when they look at 'super' models.

That tendency of superheroish women being unusually tall and "built" did get some ribbing in an issue of the last series of "Dial 'H' for Hero". A male construction worker has been turned into a female superhero by the dial, then lost the "off" switch. When "she" goes shopping for civilian clothes, the protagonist learns that normal stores just don't carry Amazon sizes. "Maybe you could find out where Power Girl shops?"

Oh, and the first issue of "The Initiative." Cloud 9, who happens to have a neat power she uses for flying joyrides, but is otherwise uninterested in using for hero or villain purposes, is drafted by the government. She has an awful moment in the women's locker room, when she realizes that all the other girls are built like brick outhouses--"even the lizard chick!"

Honestly' date=' I think most girls would 'give up' their dreams of being like these women once they're old enough to realize that they'll never be that tall. Just like most women when they look at 'super' models.[/quote']

Yeah, but consider the extremes that some girls (and adults) go to, attempting to emulate their idols - eating disorders, self-mutilation, etc..

Wanna think about those unfortunate souls in a universe where superheroes are possible?

There may not be a lot of these sorts of people, but only because their mortality rate will be so high. They will be the ones looking to get instant superpowers from a toxic chemical spill, or a rad accident, or a dodgy experiment. OR, by simply placing themselves in extreme danger and then waiting for their latent powers to emerge.

Yeah, they don't cover this much in the comics but, if the real world is any guide at all, I will bet a crapload of money that this sort of thing happens a lot.

There may not be a lot of these sorts of people, but only because their mortality rate will be so high. They will be the ones looking to get instant superpowers from a toxic chemical spill, or a rad accident, or a dodgy experiment. OR, by simply placing themselves in extreme danger and then waiting for their latent powers to emerge.

Yeah, they don't cover this much in the comics but, if the real world is any guide at all, I will bet a crapload of money that this sort of thing happens a lot.

In Mutants & Masterminds' very interesting Paragons setting, these people are called "origin chasers."