Superhuman women and normal women

Steve

Re: Superhuman women and normal women

Most of the female Marvel characters are 5'6", 120 lbs, according to the OHOTMU. Not all, but enough that it became a sort of running joke in my game group for a while.

In our games, for some reason the female supers tend to be 5'4" or less, or 5'9" or taller. Not many between 5'5" and 5'8".

Dont know why.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our games, for some reason the female supers tend to be 5'4" or less, or 5'9" or taller. Not many between 5'5" and 5'8".

Dont know why.

In our campaign the two female PCs are a very petite 4' 9" and a fairly average 5' 5". Both are in good athletic shape, but neither has the exaggerated breasts, thin waists, and broad hips typical of female comic book characters. Neither wears a body-revealing/cleavage-enhancing costume.

I guess we're just weird. :doi:

In our campaign the two female PCs are a very petite 4' 9" and a fairly average 5' 5". Both are in good athletic shape, but neither has the exaggerated breasts, thin waists, and broad hips typical of female comic book characters. Neither wears a body-revealing/cleavage-enhancing costume.

I guess we're just weird. :doi:

Unless I have a reason for a height (6' or more for certain types of brick, or below average for the power suit character referenced earlier in the thread), I tend to make my superheroines somewhere around 5'10", because that's average supermodel height. Since comic book heroines tend to be drawn to look like magazine models, that seemed like an easy benchmark. (Model heights skew higher than the general population - it has to do with body proportions.) I'll generally make a Pulp heroine around 5'4" for a 1930's game and around 5'6" for a modern game.

I don't generally put down weight at all, if I can help it. I prefer 'build' - slight, athletic, muscular, stocky, etc. - instead. I don't think I've ever used "curvaceous" on a character sheet.

I don't generally put down weight at all' date=' if I can help it. I prefer 'build' - slight, athletic, muscular, stocky, etc. - instead. I don't think I've ever used "curvaceous" on a character sheet.[/quote']I know Zl'f's weight only because it's part of her concept that her muscular and skeletal structure is 20% denser than that of a normal woman of her height and build, making her heavier than she looks. Nobody would guess from her looks that she weighs 108 pounds; if she were normal she'd be around 82 to 84 pounds.

Her physique is still that of the Olympic athlete she was before she got her powers.

Maybe it's just where I live, but most of the women my age seem to be around 5'8". National averages can be deceptive.

~Gabriel

Are you basing that on the height they give, or their height relative to you? Even 'low' heeled women's shoes often add two inches or so. Even my sneakers have a notable lift to them.

Most of the female Marvel characters are 5'6", 120 lbs, according to the OHOTMU. Not all, but enough that it became a sort of running joke in my game group for a while.

Dont know why.

Obviously because if they are too close to 5'6" they find it too hard to keep secret IDs ("Janet is 5'6", just like so many superheroines, you don't think...?)

Are you basing that on the height they give' date=' or their height relative to you? Even 'low' heeled women's shoes often add two inches or so. Even my sneakers have a notable lift to them.[/quote']

Their height relative to me, not counting heels. A lot of women around here wear flip-flops, so footwear isn't much of a factor.

~Gabriel

Vaguely possible scenario: lawsuits over using superhumans in bra advertising. Implying, or outright stating, that its your brand of bras that keep her 'assets' up and in place, when they actually stay in place just as well wearing nothing at all? It'd be like using somebody with gastric bypass to promote an exercise center.

Vaguely possible scenario: lawsuits over using superhumans in bra advertising. Implying' date=' or outright stating, that its your brand of bras that keep her 'assets' up and in place, when they actually stay in place just as well wearing nothing at all? It'd be like using somebody with gastric bypass to promote an exercise center.[/quote']

One of my characters had a massive 'radiation accident' that changed his gender and gave the newly-female character an insanely busty physique. (How busty? When I had the chance, I had a picture of her drawn by Fred Perry.)

Said character, a gadgeteer, was asked what the first thing she built after the accident was.

"I'm currently going through the patent process of gravitation-reducing bras," she said.

It is amazing how few superheroines have back problems, what with being unbalanced like that. Of course, many of them are also drawn with severe scoliosis and missing ribs, so...

Feel free to peruse through these links...

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/tag/boobs+don%27t+work+that+way

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/tag/anatomy+doesn%27t+work+that+way

(you can probably guess from the text in the links that these may not be worksafe)

Most people have made the points of how society and people in general would be affected by the enhanced appearances of superheroes and heroines. The long and short of it is that it would vary greatly depending on just how much the gm wants it to affect his game. If the gm wants to have excessive beauty be an issue, then he'll need to make some decisions about just how they would be.

I've been in a few games where there were people who were openly resentful of the super "beautiful people", because they thought said supers had an unfair advantage. But then again, you get that in real life too. "If I had a fortune to spend on personal trainers, spa treatments and plastic surgery, I'd look that good too!"

I've played a number of characters of both sexes. Some would play up their sexuality and appearance, some wouldn't. Currently I have a female character in play on Hero Central, who has maximum human comeliness. However, the mind in the driver's seat is male and really doesn't like being regarded in a lustful manner. The character even dresses to play down her appearance. (She also has an Enraged when someone cops a feel, but that's another issue.)

As far as such things as costumes go, I've had characters dress in everything from spandex, to cut-off shorts and t-shirts. One brick refused to wear costumes. Instead, he wore jeans and a t-shirt with the logo of his favorite topless bar on it.