Activation and Uncontrolled?

Demonsong

Re: Activation and Uncontrolled?

Hello all,

If a Force Field (or any power for that matter) has on Activation Roll Limitation and the Uncontrolled Advantage does the user still have to roll for Activation every phase in combat to keep it active?

Thanks for your help.

Nothing in the FAQ specifically on this combination but the answer regarding a similar Extra Time situation indicates that you would only need to make one Activation Roll:

http://www.herogames.com/SupportFAQs/revisedrules/POWER%20ADVANTAGES%20AND%20ADDERS.htm

Uncontrolled

Q: If a character takes Extra Time on an Uncontrolled power (which by definition must be Constant), should he halve the value if he only wants the Extra Time to apply to the activation of the power?

A: No. The activation of the power only occurs once, and then the character can act without restriction because it’s Uncontrolled. Therefore the normal full value of Extra Time applies.

A force field is what is called a constant power anyway. Uncontrolled would allow the force field to stay active if the user is stunned or kO'd. Assuming that's what you want I'll answer the question:

It depends on how you've defined the activation.

Does the force field only cover part of the body and so every attack as a chance to miss the force field (hence activation) or is the Field Generator unstable and doesn't allow the power to come on all the time?

If it is the former, than yes you have to roll activation for each attack, if the latter, no once it's on it stays on...I believe. I'll have to look up Activation only to Activate on a constant power.

Hello all,

If a Force Field (or any power for that matter) has on Activation Roll Limitation and the Uncontrolled Advantage does the user still have to roll for Activation every phase in combat to keep it active?

Thanks for your help.

Without checking the book for all the gritty details, I'd suspect you still need to roll that Activation every Phase, combat or not, if you wanted to keep it active. The fact it's Uncontrolled has no effect on Activation mechanically, though you might consider a different mechanic if this is not the effect you are looking for. Requires Skill Roll may be more appropriate, since you only have to roll to start up the Power rather than every Phase to keep it working.

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

The question really is the nature of the activation. Is it like an RSR, where you need to roll to turn the power on, or an activation roll, where you would need to activate to use the power.

With the information given here, I would guess that this is a FF that doesn't give full coverage (based on the activation roll). Thus, you would need to roll for activation each time the character is hit in combat (when the power is actually used, not when turned on).

If it were an RSR, you would only need to roll to turn the power on. On any subsequent phases, nothing else would need to be done. Once failed, all of the END set aside to pay for the Uncontrolled would be lost. I would also say that in this case, if you were trying to add END to make the Power stay on longer, you would have to roll the RSR (or whatever). If this failed, then the power turn off, and all allocated END (new or old) with it.

I thought this was an option at first as well but' date=' according to HDv3 at least, it's only an option for the Concentration Limitation.[/quote']

I'd say this is a case where the reason for the activation roll would dictate my interpretation.

If the activation indicates a "partial coverage" power (Force Field with some holes, AoE attack that randomly "fills" its area of effect allowing it to "miss" some targets, etc.) Then you'd have to roll each time for the duration of the power.

If the activation indicates a "sometimes fails to initiate" power (Battery operated Force Shield belt with a wonky "on" switch, unreliable detonator on an incendiary grenade, etc.) Then you'd roll once to allocate END to the power and it'd work until it ran out (assuming it costs endurance at all... but if it dosen't, you paid the active cost for this).

Like any other power, I want to know what the intended effect and SFX are before I tell you how to apply advantages and disadvantages and assign modifier values to them.

If you want an 'Activation' roll, whatever other advantages you may have, you should roll the activation every phase or every attack....officially.

Personally I have no problem with you using other time periods: every attack, every phase, every turn, every hour, whatever, but you can't chop and change: if you decide the activation period is every hour, you roll, and if it activates it stays on for an hour, if it doesn't you can't try and activate it again for an hour. Exactly the same thing on average, quite a different effect in practice.

This is why I said I might change my interpretation depending on the intended effect and SFX' date=' but I never claimed to have the market cornered on the right answers.[/quote']

...but if you do find that corner, be sure and let me know :D