Brainstorming Seaview

Mark Rand

One of the coolest submarines is the SSRN Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. As I look through the various plans for it on the net, I've noticed that the torpedo tubes and airlock systems are, like on the show, in the missile room.

It's reasonable on the show, because that way you can build fewer sets, but in real life, it should be different. I think that, assuming it has three decks, that the observation nose should be on the top deck, the forward torpedo room on the center deck, and the Flying Sub hanger should be on the botton deck. The diving bell and minisub hangers should also be on the bottom deck, along with the diver airlock and related systems.

Re: Brainstorming Seaview

In the campaign, the current Seaview is the fourth sub to have that name. Here are some of the men and women who sail on her.

Captain David Morton is the sub's commanding officer. He's a skilled tactician, an excellent Flying Sub pilot and an average diver.

Commander Lee Ann Crane is the sub's executive officer. The first woman to apply for subs when they were opened to women and the first female executive officer, she resembles her mother, Cathy Connors Crane. She's detail oriented, a master diver, and couldn't fly the Flying Sub if her life depended on it.

Commander Diana Jamison, M.D. is the sub's physician. A highly skilled trauma surgeon, she resembles her mother, a geisha her father met and married while stationed in Japan.

Lieutenant Commander Alexandra Wilder, "Sparks" to everyone, is Seaview's chief of communications. She's an African-American woman with braided, black hair that just touches her shoulders.

Lieutenant Junior Grade Jamal Bakeris the head of the sub's computer crew.

Master Chief Petty Officer Walter "Hutch" Rosen is the sub's Chief of the Boat. A career navy man, he was a reputation as a bit of a scrapper.

Maggie, a spayed calico cat, is the ship's mascot and mouser.

Beverly Conners, PhD, is a marine biologist and one of the sub's resident scientists. A slender redhead, she can turn into a mermaid at will.

The heads of the Nelson Institute of Marine Research, the organization that owns the Seaview sometimes come aboard. Since these two men, Admiral Lee Crane and Vice Admiral Charles Phillip "Chip" Morton, are former Seaview captains, they are respected by all.

One of the coolest submarines is the SSRN Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. As I look through the various plans for it on the net, I've noticed that the torpedo tubes and airlock systems are, like on the show, in the missile room.

It's reasonable on the show, because that way you can build fewer sets, but in real life, it should be different. I think that, assuming it has three decks, that the observation nose should be on the top deck, the forward torpedo room on the center deck, and the Flying Sub hanger should be on the botton deck. The diving bell and minisub hangers should also be on the bottom deck, along with the diver airlock and related systems.

Actually the Diver Airlock exited out the upper side of the Seaview. Also don't forget the Moonpool in the lower deck.

Actually the Diver Airlock exited out the upper side of the Seaview. Also don't forget the Moonpool in the lower deck.

True. The entrance to the airlock was in the missile room, as was the moon pool, which, if I remember correctly, the diving bell was lowered into.

Off the top of my head, I was thinking that you could still use the Van Allen Radiation Belt plot; but in Modern Day. The heatwave has caused an increase in violence in Hudson City as well as everywhere else. For now, the focus will be in Hudson City. The crew wants to use the same method to quell the violence. However, the are needing a part for their missile. For now, that part is a McGuffin to this story. Every faction on the planet is seeking that part, for if they control it; they can control earth...maybe. The Dark Champions have been hired to find and deliver the part to the crew of the sub...

Off the top of my head' date=' I was thinking that you could still use the Van Allen Radiation Belt plot; but in Modern Day. The heatwave has caused an increase in violence in Hudson City as well as everywhere else. For now, the focus will be in Hudson City. The crew wants to use the same method to quell the violence. However, the are needing a part for their missile. For now, that part is a McGuffin to this story. Every faction on the planet is seeking that part, for if they control it; they can control earth...maybe. The Dark Champions have been hired to find and deliver the part to the crew of the sub...[/quote']

I'm actually going to have the Seaview in a four-color campaign. Your idea, however, is very cool.

• 2 months later...

Off the top of my head' date=' I was thinking that you could still use the Van Allen Radiation Belt plot; but in Modern Day. The heatwave has caused an increase in violence in Hudson City as well as everywhere else. For now, the focus will be in Hudson City. The crew wants to use the same method to quell the violence. However, the are needing a part for their missile. For now, that part is a McGuffin to this story. Every faction on the planet is seeking that part, for if they control it; they can control earth...maybe. The Dark Champions have been hired to find and deliver the part to the crew of the sub...[/quote']

Would also work with Gotham City replacing Hudson City.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's another member of the Seaview crew. She's Lieutenant Rebecca "Becky" Nelson, the late Admiral Nelson's niece and the sub's diving officer. She's also a skilled diver, can pilot either the sub or the minisub, and cares for Maggie, the ship's cat.

I have a DH article I've been meaning to finish for about a year now that is an homage to Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Good stuff.

Thanks.

I've pulled stuff from various fan fiction sites to create my own version of Seaview and her crew. I've got some idea of what the sub looks like inside in my head, but the plans I've seen on the internet aren't the greatest for modifying.

Here's another member of the Seaview crew. She's Lieutenant Rebecca "Becky" Nelson' date=' the late Admiral Nelson's niece and the sub's diving officer. She's also a skilled diver, can pilot either the sub or the minisub, and cares for Maggie, the ship's cat.[/quote']

A minor correction: Becky's the sub's second officer and is a trained diving officer. Her usual post is the diving station, which is right behind the helmsman and planesman and to port of the periscope island.

One thing I have to keep in mind when designing the new Seaview are advances in submarine technology. This includes photonic masts, which are replacing periscopes, and sonar spheres, which are made of hydrophones and have a transmitting transducer under them and are surrounded by sound-adsorbing baffles.

Admittedly, the design of the SSRN Seaview hasn't changed much over the years, it has evolved.

The sub still has three decks, but the height of the "manta wings" has changed from sub to sub. Also, the sonar spheres have evolved. They're not in the nose, they're in the two blisters on the side of the sub.

The sub still has video cameras in the nose, stern, sail facing forward, sail facing up, sail facing aft, and keel, but these are augmented by the photonic mast. The periscope, however, is still there, too, along with a radar mast, snorkel, and two radio antennae.

Diana Jamison, Alexandra Wilder, Rebecca Nelson, and Jamal Bakeris all have an INT of 25+, are members of Mensa International, consider technical journals to be light reading, have photographic memories, and can do advanced mathematics in their heads.

Having served with Becky before, both David and Lee Ann know that she doesn't need much in the way of orders.

Subs have wardrooms. Seaview has three, one for the enlisted men, one for the officers, and one for the scientists. The one for the scientists is known for its scientific discussions. In the enlisted wardroom, Wednesday night is always pizza night and Saturday night is always movie night.

Space is at a premium in a sub. All bunks are 76 inches long and 24 inches wide. Counting the head, VIP cabins are 8 feet long by 5 feet wide. The cabins for the officers, petty officers, and scientists are 1 foot narrower. While the admirals, captain, executive officer, chief of the boat, and doctor have private cabins, the others double up.

Counting the head' date=' VIP cabins are 8 feet long by 5 feet wide. The cabins for the officers, petty officers, and scientists are 1 foot narrower. While the admirals, captain, executive officer, chief of the boat, and doctor have private cabins, the others double up.[/quote']

Youre putting two people in a room thats either 7 x 5, or 8 x 4? (Im not sure exactly what you meant by "narrower").

How many "You're breathing that way just to annoy me!" homocides have there been so far? :nonp:

Youre putting two people in a room thats either 7 x 5, or 8 x 4? (Im not sure exactly what you meant by "narrower").

How many "You're breathing that way just to annoy me!" homocides have there been so far? :nonp:

Eight by four. I might increase it to 10 by 6, counting the head, which will make the four VIP staterooms 10 by 7.

People who live on subs are used to cramped quarters. Becky Nelson and Alexandra Wilder share their quarters with the ship's cat.

Time to start examining the sub's floor plan. We'll go frame by frame through the sub, starting with the bow.

Frame one has the observation nose on the top deck, the forward torpedo room on the middle deck, and the flying sub on the bottom deck. There's always a crewman on bow watch and at one of the sub's scientists can often be found there. The flying sub is entered from the rear, not the top.

Frame two has the scientists quarters and wardroom on the top deck, officers quarters on the main deck, and sickbay on the bottom deck. The hatch leading to the flying sub is just forward of sickbay.

Frame three has the ship's laboratory on top deck, the officers wardroom on the main deck, and the hyperbaric chamber on the bottom deck. The hyperbaric chamber is most often used as a recompression chamber and its location permits it to be monitored from sickbay.

Frame four has the air above the control room on the top deck, the control room on the middle deck, and the minisub moonpool on the bottom deck. On the top deck, waist-high railings keep people from falling into the control room and ladders on the port side (left side facing forward) connect the three decks.

Frame five has the VIP quarters, Admiral Crane's, and Admiral Morton's on the top deck, the computer equipment on the main deck, and the diving bell moonpool on the bottom deck.

Beyond these, I don't have the divisions made, but the bottom deck has the main diving area and storage compartments. The engine and reactor rooms and the aft torpedo room are at the rear of the main deck. The rest of what's here includes the cruise missile silos, crew bunk rooms and wardroom, ship's laundry, galley, and heads. Additionally, circuitry rooms are in various parts of the sub.