DEX levels in your campaign.

lapsedgamer

Re: DEX levels in your campaign.

I think that I'll just stick to the way it's published, allow role-playing decisions dictate where I’m going to spend my points, and trust my fellow gamers around the table to do the same. After all, the rules of the HERO system are simply the frame upon which we have chosen to hang the stories of the hero(ine)/s that we have created.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that I'll just stick to the way it's published' date=' allow role-playing decisions dictate where I’m going to spend my points, and trust my fellow gamers around the table to do the same. After all, the rules of the HERO system are simply the frame upon which we have chosen to hang the stories of the hero(ine)/s that we have created.[/quote']

That's repped.

Because intelligence is the statistic over which people argue the most. How smart was Einstein? 18? 23? 28?

With Intelligence it's easy to either A) Rate it as IQ in Stat x10 or B) Rate it the same way the other stats are. Unfortunately, not everyone believes the same thing, and often not in the same game.

How does the ability to dance have anything to do with combat ability? You might be in good shape so that when you do get trained, you are capable of causing/taking more harm and of fighting longer, but you aren't going to waltz around your opponent to any great effect. Your ability to understand footwork might help you understand melee combat footwork a little quicker, but the ability to learn quicker is not the ability to start out better by default.

I also don't buy the earlier hand-eye coordination argument. Plenty of people with solid hand-eye coordination couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in actual combat, because they don't know what they're doing. I've seen plenty of people with great hand-eye coordination screw up their aim when pulling a trigger. The gun goes back or sideways, because they don't understand the mechanics necessary to maintain a steady aim. Others don't have the breath control to be successful. And let's not try to extrapolate combat ability from ability to use a mouse with precision.

snip...

I also don't buy the earlier hand-eye coordination argument. Plenty of people with solid hand-eye coordination couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in actual combat, because they don't know what they're doing. I've seen plenty of people with great hand-eye coordination screw up their aim when pulling a trigger. The gun goes back or sideways, because they don't understand the mechanics necessary to maintain a steady aim. Others don't have the breath control to be successful. And let's not try to extrapolate combat ability from ability to use a mouse with precision.

Some of the best pistol shots I know are not at all athletic or graceful. They just have a knack for shooting and work on it a lot. I guess that would be described as CSLs in game terms.

Some of the best pistol shots I know are not at all athletic or graceful. They just have a knack for shooting and work on it a lot. I guess that would be described as CSLs in game terms.

How does the ability to dance have anything to do with combat ability? You might be in good shape so that when you do get trained, you are capable of causing/taking more harm and of fighting longer, but you aren't going to waltz around your opponent to any great effect. Your ability to understand footwork might help you understand melee combat footwork a little quicker, but the ability to learn quicker is not the ability to start out better by default.

Lapsedgamer nails it in my view. Sounds like the people you describe may have a good DEX and no weapon familiarity, costing them a -3 CV penalty.

There are some broad strokes painted in Hero, as in any game. Is a skilled watchmaker necessarily a great locksmith or a qualified dental surgeon? alll need good fine manipulation skills. Does being in one of those categories make you a dancer or a gymnast, or vice versa? DEX handles a lot of things that aren't always complimentary in the real world (or what passes for it), with combat issues being only a small part.

Because intelligence is the statistic over which people argue the most. How smart was Einstein? 18? 23? 28?

Was Einstein "normal"? Did he pay double for his INT in excess of 20? Either explanation allows him to fit your model. He was a very poor student early in life - I guess we know where he spent his XP. Is CON, EGO, COM or PRE any more quantifiable?

This also puts the cart before the horse. Einstein's INT depends where I put the benchmarks - he is among the smartest of nonsuperhumans. What INT do you want that to be in the game?

With Intelligence it's easy to either A) Rate it as IQ in Stat x10 or B) Rate it the same way the other stats are. Unfortunately' date=' not everyone believes the same thing, and often not in the same game.[/quote']

IQ doesn't quite work for a number of reasons. First, the standard deviation of IQ is too small. Second, an "average" person in Hero has an 8. And third, Hero assigns stats as absolutes, where IQ analysis varies with age.