A venom gun?

Zanslev

I have a character in a campaign that I'm running who uses what ammounts to a superchargd dart rifle. She uses this weapon to deliver all manner of toxic fun over the battlefield. The only question is how would I go about creating this?

For example, I tried making a paralasys poison but there are two problems:

#1- How would you simulate poisoning someone?

Is this a Drain STUN moment, or maybe an Entangle? If you go drain stun, they simply recover, and Entangle, while stopping its target, has a physical effect that can be peeled off.

#2- How to deliver the poison?

I have tried using this as an effect power linked to a 1 pip energy blast. On the other hand, would this be better off as a Drain with shooting as its special effect? In tis case, whats the best way to deal with taking into account different kinds of ammo?

I would really appreciate some feedback :D

Re: A venom gun?

I'd go with a 1d6 RKA, linked to a Strength Drain. Require the Drain to occur only if the RKA inflicts body (Dart Launcher), and buy the recovery time down on the time chart.

IIRC (haven't got my books with) a person reduced to 0 Strength can't move. That says "paralysis" to me.

Good idea, it seems to be working out. Last thing, though, is what is the best way to represent the fact that this whole Drain-linked-to-RKA thing is darts being shot from a gun? What is the best way to handle ammunition in any case? Fuel dependancy, or charges?

Good idea' date=' it seems to be working out. Last thing, though, is what is the best way to represent the fact that this whole Drain-linked-to-RKA thing is darts being shot from a gun? What is the best way to handle ammunition in any case? Fuel dependancy, or charges?[/quote']

I pretty much always use charges. If you want to have a lot, use the Clips option.

Thanks for all your help. Here is the final product:

Drain STUN 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (45 Active Points); No penetration Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OAF Durable (-1), 16 clips of 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -3/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

I decided to go with a straight Drain with SFX being the dart gun (it is soo much ceaper and cleaner this way). I added a Limited power diadvantage taking into accout the dart's inability to pierce armor. Thanks for your ideas!

One last question: Would the power as described above require an attack roll to execute, or do I need to add in Requires Skill Roll: Attack Roll?

for paralysis poison may I recomend

Drain Speed*, Continous, Continuing Charges, ranged, delayed return rate

* or as a slightly more expensive version Drain Dex & Speed

My version would read

2d6 Drain Dex & Speed (+1/2), Continous, 6 Continuing charges lasting 1 min, 4 clips (+0), Ranged, Fade 5/5 min (+3/4), OAF: Dart Gun (-1), Not vs armored (-1/2). 75 Active points, 30 real points

Of course mine would be part of a MP...and I am doing the modifiers from my head, so could be wrong about some of them

Drain STUN 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (45 Active Points); No penetration Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2), OAF Durable (-1), 16 clips of 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -3/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

I decided to go with a straight Drain with SFX being the dart gun (it is soo much ceaper and cleaner this way). I added a Limited power diadvantage taking into accout the dart's inability to pierce armor. Thanks for your ideas!

One last question: Would the power as described above require an attack roll to execute, or do I need to add in Requires Skill Roll: Attack Roll?

Drains are attacks. You'd still need to hit the target.

Hmm, need to add Ranged (maybe limited range?) also your lim is Way to big. At most I'd let that go at -1, and that means any form of rPD will stop it....I'd also make the clips be more than 1 charge as is its burn a action to reload every time (unless you get fast draw: ammo) I'd try 6 charge clips and see how it goes....

I included 1 shot clips because the weapon is a one shot gun, kind of like a breech-loaded shotgun. Also, Hero Designer's description for a -2 Power limitation is "Power loses almost al of it's effectiveness", which it does. Am I interpereting this wrong?

I included 1 shot clips because the weapon is a one shot gun' date=' kind of like a breech-loaded shotgun. Also, Hero Designer's description for a -2 Power limitation is "Power loses almost al of it's effectiveness", which it does. Am I interpereting this wrong?[/quote']

I think you will find very few people who would agree that the inability to penetrate armor robs a power of almost all of its effectiveness. This is campaign-specific, and should be discussed with your GM.

Also, as Pinecone points out, Drains have no range by default - if you want the gun to be effective outside touch range, you need to place the "ranged" advantage on it.

I never noticed the 'ranged' advantage. Honestly, it never even occurred to me. As for penetration, if the dart hits the outside of your armor, nothing happens, the armor doesn't get stunned, of course, so it made sense to have the power lose almost all of its effectiveness. Also, I am the GM.

Oooh... Thought: a venom CANNON?

I never noticed the 'ranged' advantage. Honestly' date=' it never even occurred to me. As for penetration, if the dart hits the outside of your armor, nothing happens, the armor doesn't get stunned, of course, so it made sense to have the power lose almost all of its effectiveness. Also, I am the GM.[/quote']

If virtually all valid targets wear armor all the time, I'd agree. Are you OK with your PC's taking the same limitation at the same value?

If virtually all valid targets wear armor all the time' date=' I'd agree. Are you OK with your PC's taking the same limitation at the same value?[/quote']

As a GM, I would say it is probably a -1/2, maybe a -1 but that would really be pushing it for me

If virtually all valid targets wear armor all the time' date=' I'd agree. Are you OK with your PC's taking the same limitation at the same value?[/quote']

Ah, I see what you mean now. Ye, body armor is quite common in this setting, but maybe mot so common that it would garunteed a target is protected.

Also, this is the first campaign that I have ever GM'ed. I'm still figuring out whats fair and not.

Yeah, a "basic guidline" I use is ...-1/4 qualifys as a limitation, minor problems or comes up major every 4-5 runs.....-1/2, loses about half , or comes up all the time, or is major every 1-3 runs, -1 loses almost all effectiveness or is a constant cause of trouble, -2 so limited it's not really a power, more of something cool written down (example Act(8) or less)....it's worked fine over the years, alittle tweak here or there and it's a start...;)