Superhero Podcasts

UltraRob

Since the age of podcasting is upon us, I thought I'd point out there are a few fairly high quality superhero podcasts/audio dramas out there some people on here might enjoy. Much like fanfilms, fan radio plays are starting to become quite an industry unto themselves, and are often high quality too! My own original ones can be found in my sig, but I thought I'd highlight some others out there worth your attention.

Circus 13's X-Men Fan Radio Plays

Pendant Productions Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman Plays

Decoder Ring Theatre is modern detective and superhero stuff.

And if you really develop a taste for them, check Dramapod for more!

Enjoy!

Rob

Re: Superhero Podcasts

I've done some voice acting in a superhero podcast that was actually based on a Champions campaign. It's still in post-production at this point, but I'll keep you posted as to the release of the episodes.

If anyone's interested in some background on it, here's the website:

www.fishclock.ca

The podcast is called "Orphans".

My character is Alec Morgan, aka "Rook" - sort of like Batman with a little Foxbat-style psychosis tossed in for good measure.

Thanks UltraManRob. I wasn't aware of the X-Men podcast. What's the general tone? Is it four-color? Iron? Rust? Is it generally accessible, or do you need to be a dedicated X-Fan to get the plots?

Keith "Pendant Production's Bibbo, next heard serving coffee in Episodes 28 & 32" Curtis

Thanks UltraManRob. I wasn't aware of the X-Men podcast. What's the general tone? Is it four-color? Iron? Rust? Is it generally accessible, or do you need to be a dedicated X-Fan to get the plots?

Keith "Pendant Production's Bibbo, next heard serving coffee in Episodes 28 & 32" Curtis

The X-Men one is literally direct adaptions of the comics written by Claremont himself, very literally. It's a little bit funny, old (pre 90's) Marvel comics were narrated so heavily I always thought they'd work find without the pictures, and then this guy went and proved it by literally just taking the dialogue and narration directly and adding sound effects! If you had the Days of Future Past comic in front of you as you listened, you could literally follow along!

The newer one, Rubicon, is from the 90's when Claremont was at war with Lee for control of the book, and it was becoming more art-oriented. The production isn't bad, but the original book was a mess story-wise (it was laying the ground for a second X-book as well as ) and the narration is minimal, so it might be harder to follow if someone didn't know the cast already.

Still, they're good X-men flashback fun! ^_^

Ultra(no man) Rob

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Well, the first three episodes of the podcast I acted in are now up.

To reiterate:

It's called "Orphans", and you can find it at www.fishclock.ca

LeMy character is the self-made Batman/Foxbat type guy, "Alec Morgan".

Let me know what you guys think - any feedback would be super neato!

*waves hands and cast raise dead thread*

Um, just out of curiosity, where can i find that audioplay.

Decoder Ring Theatre is divided into two parts. First is Black Jack Justice which is a 40s-50s era detective stories. The other (and arguably the more popular) Red Panda Adventures which is Pulp-WWII. Neither are really modern. But both are awesome and available free.

I also enjoy:

Cobalt City Adventures is short superhero stories with some separate biopunk tales which are excerpts from a book called "Growing Dread"

Genesis Avalon is the adventures of a superheroine with a Celtic mythology theme. Unfortunately you really need to listen to the commentary as well because sometimes you need it to understand what's going on.