Continuous Fuel Charges

Aroooo

I hunted through the forums and FAQ, but didn't see anything specific to this question:

How would you build a device with multiple parts (powers) that all ran off the same continuing fuel charge? (Not dissimilar to an END Reserve.)

The Spiderman web shooters was close, but not quite. I know I could just give all the powers the same limitation (1 Continuing Fuel Charge), but that seems to me like each part had its own fuel supply. And a large END Reserve with no REC seems clunky to me.

I want to build a space suit - life support, mag boots, radio, etc, that all draw off the same 'battery' that lasts for, say, 8 hours.

Aroooo

The really only other way to handle this would be to make all the powers in the suit CHARGES. One charge, continuous, for 8 hours after activation. Charge only recoverable in a Station/Ship at a power terminal. Now the suits 'battery' is more of a SFX then an actual END source. :)

Originally posted by RadeFox

The really only other way to handle this would be to make all the powers in the suit CHARGES. One charge, continuous, for 8 hours after activation. Charge only recoverable in a Station/Ship at a power terminal. Now the suits 'battery' is more of a SFX then an actual END source. :)

Right, but that was the way I wanted to avoid :) I'm trying to eliminate the 'my radio's dead, but I'm still breathing' rant. Although, it is the probably the cleanest 'rules' way to do it.

Aroooo

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Endurance Reserve is really the best way to do this, or if feasible, buy all the abilities in a Multipower and put the Continuing Fuel Charge on the Multipower.

This is similar to the character of mine who absorbs energy into his END Reserve. He starts to die if his END Reserve goes to zero, and therefore lives off of his Absorption (it also runs his Powers). An END Reserve with 0 REC was the best way to represent this, but the difference between 0 REC and 1 REC should be worth a lot more than two points. A Limitation on the END Reserve, maybe?

Also, I had the problem that, under the new rules, he would absorb energy into his END Reserve, and it would trickle away quite rapidly. I don't picture him as dying that quickly when living off his reserve. Considering how much it takes to fire an EB or fly, just supporting life functions shouldn't take 10 END per Turn, and buying up the Return Rate was awfully expensive - nowhere near enough to offset the savings of not having a REC for his END Reserve. I didn't want to be that much of a minimaxer, but the cost difference was outrageous.

So I came up with this idea:

20 4d Absorption (Physical to END Reserve).

30 6d Absorption (Energy to END Reserve).

10 100 point END Reserve

3 REC 5 for END Reserve (-1/2: only to offset Fade).

I thought you wanted avoid the END reserve, doh. The charges are by far cleaner and easier to handle from both you and your players stand-point. Dont let 'perfect mechanics' get into the way of enjoying the story.

I would use the continuing charges idea, with the SFX that when you put the suit on and seal the helmet- ALL the powers you listed activate on an 8 hour charge. Its realistic and makes sense from many standpoints, not too mention easy on the number crunching in play. If everything is on an 8 hour timed charge that activates at the same time, you wont have your radio/breathing thing you were worried about.

However, if a perilous survival situation, I would allow PC's with the right skills shift hours into LS-self contained breathing from other less essential options. Say, giving up 2 hours of radio for 2 more hours of air. Easy to do, uses the players skills, and is realistic enough and quick enough to not detract from the story.

Re: Continuous Fuel Charges

Originally posted by Aroooo

I hunted through the forums and FAQ, but didn't see anything specific to this question:

How would you build a device with multiple parts (powers) that all ran off the same continuing fuel charge? (Not dissimilar to an END Reserve.)

The Spiderman web shooters was close, but not quite. I know I could just give all the powers the same limitation (1 Continuing Fuel Charge), but that seems to me like each part had its own fuel supply. And a large END Reserve with no REC seems clunky to me.

I want to build a space suit - life support, mag boots, radio, etc, that all draw off the same 'battery' that lasts for, say, 8 hours.

Aroooo

Buy the powers 0 end, and put a limitation on the 0 end advantage that the 0 end part lasts 8 hours.