YOUR Seven great wonders of the world

Adventus

Re: YOUR Seven great wonders of the world

I'll start with one:

The Equatorial Turbines of Aquamarine ("The Turbines of Turbulence.")

At the time of its colonization, the surface of Aquamarine was entirely covered in water; at best a few islands here and there showed above sea level, and only at low tides. Those tides were so complicated by the presence of several small moons, an orbit that took the world near Jasper, the system's largest gas giant,

and several other factors, that it took the colonists a couple of years to even begin to predict and understand them. And the stormy Equatorial Ocean, usually called the Turbulent Sea, produced storms and waves of such force that it was flatly unnavigable more than half the time, and even to fly across was perilous. The Equatorial Ocean was such an effective barrier that even the native marine life had evolved in distinctly different ways in the two hemispheres.

It was a Dolphin engineer who first proposed that the Equatorial Ocean was a source of energy - chaotic, turbulent, but ultimately utilizable energy. The Equatorial Turbines was an engineering project that took years and enormous resources to complete, and there were Humans and Dolphins who lost their lives bringing it into being. But for the young colony this Wonder of their new World soon paid for itself in cheap, ecologically clean, endlessly renewable power; the power to claim a world and make it their own. The project is ongoing, more turbines being added to accomodate the growing needs of the colony, and the Equatorial Turbines continue to provide nearly half of the energy utilized by the entire planet in a given year.

Lucius Alexander

Does the Palindromedary count as a Wonder? Lots of people look at it and wonder "WTF?"

• 2 weeks later...

The Obelisk.It sits on an island in the middle of the Thornbridge river as it runs through the city of Purgatory.The Obelisk is a 200 foot tall solid black crystal on a 50 foot white stone base.It marks the largest intersection of Ley lines in the world and causes bizarre things to happen around it.Weather changes,strange glows,and spell malfunctions are just some of the cases,still most people agree if you choose to live here you have to take the chances.

Hulfdar's Strike-This canyon runs from the capitol of the Dwarf homelands(Munir,in the Rockhelm mountains)across the entire continent of Iorwen from the Orillian ocean to the Mairi ocean.Legend says the Dwarven God of Battle,Hulfdar struck a great blow against the Orc God Mungul that reveberated throughout all worlds and cracked the land in half.The Dwarves believe this canyon is proof of the stories.

Hmm. In Aurastorm there were a few.

The Auraflow itself, altho only the magically sensitive could see it - a global aura, flowing thru everything, composed of the swirling currents of magic.

The Celestial Membrane - The sphere of cosmic water that surrounded Aura and its sun, that filters and channels the flow of magic, and is studded with the god-sized statues and lightbearers that form the stars. Most people believe it marks the edge of the universe. Vitus was quite startled and indeed upset to discover the existance of worlds beyond it.

The Pillar of Flame in Mordis - a frozen artifact of the reality storms that destroyed most of civilisation several hundred years earlier. The rebuilt city makes full use of the free lighting.

The Palace of the Living Ra in Heiropolis - especially the giant statues of the gods that flank the approach avenue to the Isis Garden. It is said they will come to life to smite any who enter the compound uninvited. As far as I'm aware, nobody has bothered to actually test this.

The Rainbow Jungle - the unnaturally verdant rainforest east of Thunder River. Named after the incredible range of parasitic blossoms studding every branch. Good source of slaves.

The Godsmountain - A mountain on the scale of Mars' Mons Olympus, but much steeper. Popular belief places the Throne of the Gods somewhere near the top. This might actually be the case.

The Alchemical Games - where the various gnoll clans gather every two years to show off and compete with their latest inventions. Vitus's clan still hoped to finish their 40 foot high brass flame-throwing scorpion, any decade now...

pictures maps, etc here

Since I never got around to finishing the world enough to actually play in it, these were only ideas.

Nethranara An abandoned city found by a trader. The great mystery of the age as the city is perfectly intact despite having no occupants for untold years. No remains of the builders have yet to be found and there are relatively few artifacts to demonstrate what they would have looked like. (Note: I temporarily placed this in somebody else's campaign world, but our sense of style was different so I withdrew it from there. So the city has actually been played before, just not in the context of the game world I was (maybe am) working on.)

The Effrin Not so much a place as a thing. The Effrin is based on many images in my head, notably the ifrit, the Dragon of Dark Sun (D&D), the Black Man (as described by Lovecraft) and the Oracle at Delphi. It is entombed in an ancient and crumbling ruin, but fools often seek it out to ask it for advice or aid. Either one comes with a price.

That's about it. I really think this thread is cool, because I always think in terms of who, but not necessarily where. Now I have something to think about with all my Copious Free Time.;)