Modern military package deals?

Paragon

Originally posted by Steve Long

I did a bunch some years ago that were published in An Eye For An Eye, IIRC. I believe that's available in the Online Store, tho I'm not sure offhand. Also IIRC the editor trimmed down/changed the Package Deals I created, so I take no responsibility for any errors. ;)

Thanks, Steve. I of course found my copy of AEFAE right after I posted that. :P

That being said, if anyone knows a source on the Web that mentions what's in a typical modern U.S. Infantry kit, and which weapons are routinely used now (smallarms other than the M16A2) I'd be much beholden.

I use G.U.R.P.S. Special Ops for building my special forces packages.

Your basic grunt would only carry a M16A2 unless he had SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) duty. Officers carry a pistol, probably the Beretta until they catch up with civilian law enforcement and switch to the Glock.

I was doing some research for special operations teams and was looking up my favorite...the Marine Force Recon teams and found this site that might be useful. It doesn't list a loadout, but it does describe just about everything these guys use....googling the names of these items might give you a hand.

http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed3.htm

I think an infantryman's kit loadout is dependant on where he's going and for how long. If it's a simple hump away from base, then he's not going to carry a huge load.

Generally speaking though, full combat gear seems to be in the 60-80lb range including body armor, weapons, ammo, food, water, and other basic necessities. However, once the fighting starts, most of this is ditched. If you can, look up Andy McNabb on google, and see if you can find a recounting of his story during the first Gulf War (he was a member of a British SAS patrol that got it bad...only he and one other trooper made it out alive). From what I remember of it, he and his team ran into some Iraqi troops and they had to ditch their main rucksacks. They then had to hump over some 50+ miles through the desert with very little in the way of survival gear.

As for weapons, the American Army has as it's standard assault rifle the M16A2, which may be replaced soon due to fairly poor combat record since Somalia (the 5.56mm round that was originally used in Vietnam had more power behind it and less rifling in the barrel...this made the bullet tumble causing horrific wounds, but tended to lessen accuracy and range, which was deemed fine for the jungle warfare environment). The Army and Marine Corps are currently testing a 6mm round for future use. Another common weapon is the M4 carbine, which is essentially a shortened barrel version of the M16A2, and has even worse ballistic tendencies than the M16A2 (there have been numerous reports of soldiers hitting their target multiple times in the chest and not putting the target down....this has led the Army and Marine Corps to re-evaluate the combat worthiness of the 5.56mm NATO round).

One weapon making a sort of comeback is the M14 rifle, which was seen being used by some of the 82nd airborne troops in Afghanistan. This battle rifle (a battle rifle is usually differentiated from an assault rifle by its caliber and its hardiness) uses the older and more deadly 7.62mm round. This round has superior ballistic capabilities compared to the 5.56mm, including far greater range, greater penetration, and greater manstopping power. The disadvantage is heavier ammunition and slightly heavier recoil. The Army M21 sniper rifle is essentially a match quality M14 rifle with some enhancements.

The M203 is the combination M16 rifle with 40mm grenade launcher. the M249 SAW is the squad automatic weapon used for suppression fire capability. It is a rugged 5.56mm weapon that is quite a bit heavier than an M16 and uses belts for ammunition (though it can use the same box as M16's). The MAG (or M240) is the light machine gun used by the Marine Corps and Army (though the Army also still uses the M60 LMG of Rambo fame). It fires 7.62mm rounds and is originally of Belgian manufacture (who btw are excellent weaponsmiths, having also made the legendary FN-FAL and the excellent HP 9mm pistols that were probably the best 9mm pistols in WWII).

For very heavy weapons, we use the Javelin AT as our main "fire and forget" missle. For personal infantry use, the AT-4 (84mm...get it?) replaced the older M72 LAW as the personal AT weapon of choice. The British use a more modern version of the M72 called the M80. BTW, the Russians have a laser guided ATGW called the Kornet which took out at least 2 M1 Abrahms in the recent Iraq War...so the Abrahms are not invulnerable to infantry AT weapons as once believed. The main hand grenade is the M67 fragmentation grenade which has a rough casualty radius of 15m.

For sidearms, the Army uses the M92 9mm Beretta although I think a few units still use the old M1911 Colt .45. Generally though, only officers, tank crews, and a few special units carry sidearms...the general grunt does not carry sidearms into battle. For that he has to rely on fallen comrades weapons or use a trusty knife/bayonet (doesn't that just suck when your gun jams?).

The Danger Int'l module "Here there be tigers" by Firebird ltd has a very nice selection of military package deals, of course these are 3rd ed but should be a good start, I am using it along with An Eye for an eye to help me make military packages. I see it on ebay from time to time.

You also might find Twilight 2000 by GDW helpful for both packages and general military info such as rank and equipment issue. Again commonly seen on ebay and Far Future Enterprises is reprinting Twilight 2000.

These websites might be helpful

http://www.pmulcahy.com/

this one is for Twilight 2000 but has tons of useful info for military RPG's in general.

http://www.fas.org/

This one takes some digging but has a lot of info you might find useful such as who uses what weapons system etc.