Building NPCs to Develop Themes

Super Squirrel

I'm trying to open up a discussion on something I'm pretty sure hasn't been talked about before. In writing and in movies, themes are used to help tell a story. These work well in those mediums because the creator has complete control. However, in a roleplaying game, the element of the theme is not as easy to control. But, I ultimately feel that not only can a theme be carefully woven into a game, but it can also make the game better overall.

My Teen Champions game that I'll hopefully be starting fairly soon is going to have one big theme for the entire "Teen Champions" portion of the campaign and several small themes that will last the length of a game session or two. The major theme is "What does in mean to be a hero?". It is a question that all players have to answer for there character at the start of the game and will have to answer again at the end of the campaign. The lesser themes are just more to give games flavor and to help keep a single session more solid. For example, one game will involve around a very loose money theme. One character will have troubles with paying his student aid, another character will be flaunting her wealth, and of course that game will involve bank robberies.

But I've gotten off track. In this, I've realized that one way to really strength the game is to build the NPCs to help with the theme. Contrasts are a great way to do this. And being a Teen Champions game, I have a perfect way of trying this out. I have a classroom of supers that I need to come up with. And so, I'm building them as themes around the characters.

To do this, I'm creating NPCs with similar power structures or similar natures but with contrasting personalities and motivations. Alice's character is a sort of dark-rooted power with a motivation to overcome her evil root. One character has a "dark" power that also can lead to temptation but her motivation is "because it is a family tradition". Another character will have a power that easy to manipulate others and she is willing to embrace the temptation for personal game. But what is important is in how I show the contrast. I'll, for example, craft a scene where Alice could abuse her character's power but didn't where as another character does abuse her power and demonstrate the far from heroic repricussions this brings.

Or, if we are looking at power base, I might have one of the bricks rip a wall down, causing innocent civilians to get hurt and displaced when another approach was easily available.

The point to all of this is to make the game much more fun, get them thinking about the game, and to build their characters so that they truly FEEL they are heroes.

But the topic itself could be very openly interpreted and perhaps even debated at its effectiveness. And so, I'm curious what others think of this.

Re: Building NPCs to Develop Themes

For openers, I'd state that the overall theme ("What does it mean to be a hero?") is sort of a requirement for creating your character. At least tell the players "this is the theme I'm going for." Maybe ask the players to tell you what conflicts/struggles the PC is going to be up against over time so that you both are on the same page.

For different scenarios, I'd treat it like the older sit-coms (when it meant "situational comedy"), such as Leave it to Beaver or The Cosby Show (before it jumped the shark). The basic themes then were "do the right (moral/ethical) thing."

And I agree with something you mentioned, I would make a counter-NPC (or two) that has either the same or a similar theme to each PC, so that the PC can see an (two) alternate route(s). Maybe one counter-NPC goes to extremes (and that one the PC can tell is obviously the wrong path) while the other walks the gray line (which may not be so obvious).

Just my two cents' worth.

Is this going to be a FtF or online game?

Re: Building NPCs to Develop Themes

This sounds like a fun idea if you can pull it off. To me, one of the biggest reasons I love the TV show "Heroes" is precisely that it is always pushing on the theme of "what does it mean to be a hero." Is it killing the bad guy? Is it putting aside your personal preferences, ambitions, or even your morals to protect your government? Your community? Your species? Your family? Your friends?

I've only managed to focus on a theme a couple times (maybe only once, really) in my campaigns. My 7th Sea campaign spent several adventures in an English Civil War analogy, where my theme was Loyalty - what choices do you make when forced to choose between loyalty to the crown, the people, the environment, etc. Several times, the PCs had to choose between different factions, without clear guidance as to which was the "right" side, making choices between different aspects of their chosen side. The choices defined what adventures they got into and where they went, and what rewards they could expect. But there was always more than one choice they could make, more than one path that could be followed with honor intact.

The theme was there, and it was always in my mind as GM, but I didn't harp on it, especially during game play. I wanted very much to make it warp and woof of an otherwise fun game, which could be enjoyed even without being aware of any Theme.

Your idea of parallel NPCs is a good one (I mean, hey, Heroes uses it with the Petrelli/Sylar match), but I'd use that as just one tool. Don't just explore the use of powers, but the making of choices which are not pleasant or simple (let alone easy!). One potential definition of a hero is someone who is willing to make the hard choice to do the right thing, giving up something of himself - profit, popularity, comfort, security, even life and wellbeing. (At the risk of getting all Joseph Campbell-y, the "Hero's Journey" always includes the death of the hero, whether in physical, emotional or symbolic form.) Many or most of those choices may only peripherally, if at all, include the application of superpowers (indeed, you could even touch on the issue of "are you avoiding real-life issues by parading around as a superhero?").

Not that you should get all emo about it, but I think that to be really effective, the choices relating to the theme need to be organic within the game situation, and shouldn't get in the way of a fun time, but should enhance it. It sounds like you're definitely on the right track, though - keep up the good ideas!