Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Sounds like a fun project. I expect there is a Lot of literature on forging and other industrial techniques, Heck personally I expect Maker Box tech to become the "go to " home loading solution in the next decade.

It looks like 3D printing doesn't have the Precision and smoothness I would need for the project so it would probably require CNC Machining to do the prototypes. This is one of the best images I found of the variations in his designs

post-448-0-31460100-1504762148_thumb.jpg

There's a start up called Desktop Metals it's not practical now but if they take off it is the future.
It seems like you're interested in complex materials for their flight and impact characteristics. You should find a unemployed physics student as that looks like something math can do for you, making testing simpler.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really frustrated though.  My dad and I bought a beautiful mold MiHec 45 270 SAA with hollow point pins and I can't find it.   I hope none of my dad's "helpers" wandered it off.  I can't find his older molds, or his good melting pots either.   HOPEFULLY they just ended up placed somewhere odd...   

I found lots of lead...

His direct helpers seem to either know or care nothing about casting, but there are a few bucks involved, so there is always a chance...

I was looking at the MiHec site again, his molds and the bullets they produce are works of art.  

• 2 weeks later...

some cool stuff from an Istanbull museum of Ottoman Military...            http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/12/istanbul-military-museum-small-arms-ottoman-empire/

a LeMat CARBINE

20140226_145918.jpg

Apparently they destroyed their surplus guns, usually, rather than selling them on the commercial market.   Too bad, I would be interested in a 9.5 mm Turkish Mauser (iirc)   apparently the most "efficient" black powder cartridge...  

I think I posted this a couple years ago,   a .338 Lapua (Norma might be a better match) medium machine gun, weight is comparable to standard (Nato*) 7.62x51mm mgs, range is closer to a .50 caliber.    

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/09/338-firepower-hands-gdlss-lightweight-medium-machine-gun-ausa-2017/

Perfect weapon for a Dark Champions character...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/09/7-62mm-lightweight-machine-gun-unveiled-knights-armament-company/

also early development of a 7.62 MG that is estimated to weigh about 12-13 lbs.  Even if beefed up to 14 for greater durability, still an improvement.  If they combined this with the stainless/aluminum hybrid cases that allow carriage of 5 rds loaded instead of 4, and the new M80A1 load's lighter bullet, might be able to drop a bit of weight for the troops, while still allowing 7.62 power and range.   

I think in the long term the CTA program's 6.5mm might be a better choice, but staying with 7.62 has its own advantages. 

*The reason I note NATO mgs, is because some russian ones are lighter.  I have only fired a few rounds through an M60, and have no experience with ANY of its competitors. 

Because as any gun nut knows, a "silenced" gun isn't actually silent.

Wrong.  I give you the M&P 15-22 Integral ... by Innovative Arms: https://www.innovativearms.com/portfolio/iasw-integral/ 

The loudest sound this rifle makes is the sound of the action cycling (which is what you're hearing in this video).  For comparison, each cycle of the action makes about the same amount of noise a compound bow makes when releasing an arrow -- making it as silent as a bow and/or crossbow ... and probably a LOT quieter than that WWII commando crossbow when you consider the noise and time of re-cocking it (since the full cycle of the M&P 15-22 entails re-charging the weapon).

Yes, it is that quiet ... with standard or even high velocity ammunition, no less -- due to the barrel porting that's covered by the suppressor.  (At the range I've been asked if mine was a pellet gun!)

Wrong.  I give you the M&P 15-22 Integral ... by Innovative Arms: https://www.innovativearms.com/portfolio/iasw-integral/ 

The loudest sound this rifle makes is the sound of the action cycling (which is what you're hearing in this video).  For comparison, each cycle of the action makes about the same amount of noise a compound bow makes when releasing an arrow -- making it as silent as a bow and/or crossbow ... and probably a LOT quieter than that WWII commando crossbow when you consider the noise and time of re-cocking it (since the full cycle of the M&P 15-22 entails re-charging the weapon).

Yes, it is that quiet ... with standard or even high velocity ammunition, no less -- due to the barrel porting that's covered by the suppressor.  (At the range I've been asked if mine was a pellet gun!)

I would like to playwith a suppressed lever action .45 colt, lever or pump action .22 would be superb.  I found a mold for a lead 245 gr bullet for the .300 blackout...