Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

combining the sling system with something like this Russian ammo carrier

Scorpion-660x377.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/09/scorpion-russian-ammunition-belt-storagefeeding-backpack-system/

combined with this Military Exo frame that would let you carry the weight

HULC%20run.jpg?itok=f2kcuwCE

http://bleex.me.berkeley.edu/research/exoskeleton/hulc/

That said, I was impressed with the Maxim-9 integrally suppressed pistol.

But the Maxim-9 was first shown at the 2016 Shot Show. :(

That was the other takeaway this year was the sudden popularity of suppressors. It's odd to me that they're as legal as they are, but whatever. The bigger problem with suppressors is that they're almost always extremely ugly.

Except for the oil filter ones, those are kind of funny. ;)

Actually, ATF-41F made suppressors a real pain in the butt to purchase using trusts.  This was supposedly to solve a non-existent problem best described as felons obtaining guns illegally. 

Per ATF-41F, all trustees of a trust must now undergo background checks and fingerprinting ... supposedly to preclude felons from being able to legally possess/obtain firearms.  The trouble with that is that when one picks up a NFA firearm after getting one's tax stamp/ATF approval, one fills out a form 4473 and either undergoes a NICS check or provides equivalent/superior background check info (like a state-issued concealed carry license); this means felons can't (and could never) legally pick up the NFA item, regardless of ATF-41F.  Likewise, a felon who is listed as a trustee cannot (and could not prior to ATF-41F) legally possess a NFA firearm because felons cannot legally possess firearms (regardless of any listing on a trust) -- so ATF-41F didn't solve squat, here, either.

All ATF-41F did was appease the anti-gun base  ... oh, and make estate planning harder for those of us using trusts to do so.  My trustees are all over the country ... making coordination of background checks and fingerprinting (prior to the purchase of something new under the trust) a real pain in the ass under ATF-41F.  Worse, every one of them is a licensed concealed carry permit holder who has already undergone background checks and fingerprinting ... but their concealed carry permit numbers from their relevant states can't be used in lieu of the added time/cost of needless background checks and fingerprinting (that's already been done as part of their concealed carry license requirements).

I am hopeful that the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 passes in the next 2 years.  I am also hopeful that an executive order of the sitting President is used to override the executive order of the prior President that brought about ATF-41F in the first place.

On a different note:

I saw oil filter adapters for 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 at a recent gun show.  They were not NFA items and were being marketed as 'cleaning products' -- specifically to allow one to attach an oil filter to the end of one's muzzle to catch solvents used to clean the bore.  Talk about some creative bullshit...  but I'll give them an A for an innovative sales pitch and approach, as it IS 100% legal.  (The illegality comes in when someone shoots the first and successive shots through the oil filter ... much like the Sig Brace only being illegal if brought to the shoulder to take a shot.)

On a different note:

I saw oil filter adapters for 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 at a recent gun show.  They were not NFA items and were being marketed as 'cleaning products' -- specifically to allow one to attach an oil filter to the end of one's muzzle to catch solvents used to clean the bore.  Talk about some creative bullshit...  but I'll give them an A for an innovative sales pitch and approach, as it IS 100% legal.

Maybe not 100% legal.

SD Tactical was selling more than just a thread adapter -- i.e. their 'kit' was completely enclosed and obviated constructive intent.  A thread adapter, alone ... likely isn't enough to establish enough intent.

i.e. You can't reasonably compare a fully-enclosed kit that the ATF halted the sale of .... with a mere thread adapter.  There's an obvious and  substantial difference between the two -- even under the eyes of the law.  (To wit: there are all manner of thread adaptors already legally sold for use on the ends of muzzles.)

If you say so.  I'm not inclined to test the ATF's patience just so I can screw an oil filter on the end of a gun.

It's not the thread adapter part, itself, that is illegal; it's what one does with it after obtaining it that can violate the law.  Plenty of people will likely buy one and test the ATF on it it -- but I'm not among them, either, as a mandatory taxpayer-funded, 10-year 'hotel' stay is not something I wish to contemplate.

So this has been around for a while but never had much 'splash'.  It's the CZ Bren 2, a 5.56 NATO chambered sub-machine gun featuring a super-short gas system allowing it to work well with barrels as short as 8 inches -- when suppressed. Weight is 7.5 lbs; magazine capacity is 30; and the rate of fire is 850 rounds/min.

cz-bren-2.jpg?itok=_I6qP3ZW&fc=50,50

• 1 month later...

On a different note, the survival RDB is hideous!  I own a RFB and it's a slick, innovative .308 bullpup.  I had a chance to buy a RDB but passed on it since I already own a highly customized (by Ken at K&N Aerospace) Bushmaster M17s bullpup chambered in 5.56 NATO ... and couldn't see picking up another 5.56 NATO bullpup just yet (but I'd like one eventually).  I did find it intriguing that the survival RDB was stated as being chambered in .223 ... and am hoping that's a misprint ... since it's perfectly safe to use .223 in a 5.56 NATO chambered firearm ... but not vice versa.

The Suervival RDB is just a small (and perhaps California Legal... maybe) version of the upcoming RDB. It currently has problems with Quality control at least on the forums, but the design and price point of the RDB make it attractive, and yes it's designed for .223.  From the videos and what a friend says, that when it's working it's a joy to shoot and fairly accurate, thought he survival's barrel is a little too thin.

The best Alternative that seems to be coming out is the .308, but changeable calliber  Desert Tecfh MDR, which has been delayed by testibng to make sure it DOES NOT have the Kel-Tec style QC issues and another friend hqas ordered one but it may not ship until July.

Me? if it's made after 1945 I am generally not interested XD.

Supercavitating bullets for underwater use

A 60m underwater range for .50 is pretty spectacular.  You could actually reach a sub at periscope depth with that, though perhaps not puncture it.

something similar was the basis of the Fin stabilized 30mm round used in the RAMICS anti-mine system.   IIRC it would pentrate over 2 inches of steel at 60 or 80 meters.   Seemed to me it would disable subs well...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is still my favorite awesome sci fi seeming gun of all time, the HK G-11 caseless

DSC_0880mod.jpg

The bullets load in sideways and are rotated into position, they are caseless for less weight, the gun just looks cool, and its been around since the late 60s, steadily under development.

800px-G11_Schnittmodell.jpg

As you can see, about half of the gun is actually the ammo (slides in on top) and the system to rotate it into place.  It has smaller bullets; 4.73×33mm in square blocks of propellant.  Despite its somewhat complex appearance and concept, the gun actually is simpler in action than the standard rifle, with only 6 steps rather than 8 for each bullet firing (no extraction and ejection).

300px-G11Cartridge.jpg

Its interesting to me that most of the rifle is actually empty, just there to give it shape and size.  Its light for its size and type, but the ammo is expensive and non standard, which makes it difficult to fit into any military.

Yep, it would make a nice "space gun" because you wouldn't need to deal with brass flying all willy nilly. Didn't the second "Alien" movie use a prop version on this? I do remember that the Colonial Marines used caseless ammo...?