Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

As Mythbusters did a fine job of showing, bullets underwater will tend to shatter or quickly slow and spiral off in just a few feet of depth.  In fact, the bigger the bullet, the worse its performance underwater.

But these guys think they have found a solution with the supercavitating round, which they claim can "defeat steel objects" as deep as 60 meters underwater.  Theoretically this would work on submarines, but it also allows an underwater shooter to hit targets above the surface.

Something I recently discovered looks like a perfect option for a monster hunter who needs a flexible full auto option with a lot of stopping power

.460 Rowland 

Commander-1.jpg

A conversion for .45 caliber automatics( 1911, Glock 21, springfield,  XDm and Colt M&p) that ups the stopping power to close to .44 Magnum. the best part is that it uses standard mags and can still fire standard .45 . it has a custom compensator to make it manageable to fire. still havent found a good side by side comparison of 45 to 460 but the ballistics look impressive

https://youtu.be/9aHyN52jNI0

Most impressive loads I found for a standard 45 ACP AR from Underwood Ammo comma though Buffalo Bore ammo does good ones too. The 460 Rowland is a very significant Step Up in power. As I understand it the reason all of them have muzzle brakes is to add Mass to the recoiling portion so that the gun does not break. Another option that is kind of in between the two is the 45 super, but I think it is closer to the hot 45 ACP than it is to the 460 Rowland. I have yet to see if I recall correctly any loads for the Rowland that use heavy bullets instead of light or standard for caliber and that is one of the things that i would be interested in

As Mythbusters did a fine job of showing, bullets underwater will tend to shatter or quickly slow and spiral off in just a few feet of depth.  In fact, the bigger the bullet, the worse its performance underwater.

But these guys think they have found a solution with the supercavitating round, which they claim can "defeat steel objects" as deep as 60 meters underwater.  Theoretically this would work on submarines, but it also allows an underwater shooter to hit targets above the surface.

I doubt this is anything like as useful as one might think in real war conditions. In most environments, you can't see 60 meters underwater, and if you're talking personal small arms ammo, then you pretty much have to see your target. In Puget Sound, once you're in deep enough water to cover a sub, you can't see three meters. Maybe it'd do better from a helicopter gunship platform so you can have vertical sightlines, but I still think it would take a criminally stupid sub skipper to put his boat in an unsecured place in daylight where this weapon would be dangerous to him.

I think its probably more useful from underwater to the surface than the other way around (although some places the water is very, very clear).  The bullets are expensive, but Subs are not very maneuverable, so if you had a basic fix on a block-long object you could use autofire to hit the thing, I'd think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't the old (1980's) show "Street Hawk" have a minigun on a motorcycle?

It had rockets, a laser beam, and 'machineguns' (although there really wasn't room on the bike to mount even a Predator-style mini-minigun' - more likely they were supposed to be smgs or assault rifles stripped down and mounted.)