Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

On 11/21/2018 at 7:20 AM, Surrealone said:

The GSL Pillbox appears to rely on wipes, which is basically Vietnam-era tech (with modern materials used for the wipe, of course).  I can't say I'm a fan of wipe-based suppressors given that wipes must be replaced -- usually within 3-4 magazines worth of ammo in order to maintain the same effectiveness as they had with the first round fired.  The fact that the wipe changes over time (due it being shot through) and the fact that the exiting bullet touches the wipe … always has me wondering what wipes do to POI, especially over time/reuse of the same wipe.  Still, it's interesting to see a suppressor THAT small!

I feel as though a tiny .22LR handgun is not intended to be employed at significant range anyway.

Conversely, .357 Magnum snubnose revolvers are oddly accurate at long range, due to lack of barrel whip.  Harder to suppress though.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

I feel as though a tiny .22LR handgun is not intended to be employed at significant range anyway.

Conversely, .357 Magnum snubnose revolvers are oddly accurate at long range, due to lack of barrel whip.  Harder to suppress though.

Given your 'significant range' remark, I get the sense you feel I'm worried about the wipe having only minor alterations of POI (which, of course, become more pronounced at longer ranges).  While this is, of course, a concern due to 'normal' contact between the bullet and wipe as the bullet passes through the wipe, it is the 'abnormal' contact that most worries me.  The primary example of such 'abnormal' contact is when a chunk of the wipe breaks off during bullet/wipe contact -- which happens fairly regularly after the first mag or two is fed downrange.  Because the amount of the wipe that breaks off tends to vary … and because it's unclear how much of it adheres to, unbalances, or otherwise affects the bullet -- POI shift would seem to be a major concern.

It's a non-issue for minute-of-badguy shooting at any given distance, but if you want to punch paper quietly (which is what I consider most .22 shooting to be good for), it's something that I'd be prone to considering and worrying over.

19 hours ago, Surrealone said:

It's a non-issue for minute-of-badguy shooting at any given distance, but if you want to punch paper quietly (which is what I consider most .22 shooting to be good for), it's something that I'd be prone to considering and worrying over.

It seems to me that if you're using a .22 for target shooting or varmint control or some such task, then you can easily get away with having a full-sized suppressor and not having to worry about wipes degrading. Those super ultra compact suppressors on a small .22 handgun are for assassinations, which most people won't be doing.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:48 PM, DusterBoy said:

Anyway, from the ridiculous to, well, not sublime, maybe, but certainly more practical:

I wanted one of the later Matebas since College, and the Chiapa Rhino with the 3in. barrel is also an object of lust.  Anything to drop the barrel axis downwars, closer to the line of the index finger is good for controlability, and rapid follow up.

17 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I wanted one of the later Matebas since College, and the Chiapa Rhino with the 3in. barrel is also an object of lust.  Anything to drop the barrel axis downwars, closer to the line of the index finger is good for controlability, and rapid follow up.

I would be more intrigued if they made it in a 45 Colt. Yes I am odd

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, Zeropoint said:

I'd love to have a Mateba like Togusa uses in Ghost in the Shell

Or a bottom-firing revolver like Vash "The Stampede" uses. :D

You're in luck, as you can readily purchase a Chiappa Rhino, which fires from the bottom cylinder like Vash's gun.

Here's a link to a read on it, since you seem interested: https://www.guns.com/news/review/gun-review-chiappa-rhino-revolver-in-357-magnum

16 hours ago, Surrealone said:

You're in luck, as you can readily purchase a Chiappa Rhino, which fires from the bottom cylinder like Vash's gun.

Here's a link to a read on it, since you seem interested: https://www.guns.com/news/review/gun-review-chiappa-rhino-revolver-in-357-magnum

The Rhino was The designer’s last design. It’s very smooth, though the trigger is a bit heavy. It’s smooooth though. 

• 2 weeks later...

This weapon was the height of technological progress, Bach when Espionage, and Danger International were things. I knew about the weapon, but my assumptions about its eventual non adoption in1989, were wrong. I had assumed it was propellant difficulties, like the Hughes Caseless riflemof 1969. Though propellant issues were a factor in the delay of this weapon, they were solved by the formal acceptance of the weapon into Bundeswehr service, acceptance, but not adoption. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, wcw43921 said:

This article was somewhat comical.

From the article:

Integral suppressed basically means the suppressor and barrel work together to make the suppressor perform better, it reduces the speed of the bullet to below the speed of sound. (The speed of sound is about 768 miles per hour at sea level) and for the record, James Seto has been heard many times saying, “It’s as quiet as a mouse fart.” )

I hate to tell these people, but the suppressor and barrel aren't magically working together to achieve better performance.  Instead, the barrel has been ported and the suppressor mounted over the ports in a way that reduces the speed of supersonic rounds to subsonic speeds thanks to the reduced gas pressure behind the bullet as it is expelled from the barrel.  That's not better performance, at all, it's just a means of rendering the shots super quiet (due to the elimination of the supersonic 'crack' produced by breach of the sound barrier) when supersonic ammunition is used.  It's a very SPENDY way to do it, too, since a regular suppressor that's not welded to the barrel atop ports in the barrel (which can be used on different guns BECAUSE it's not welded to one gun) … can achieve the EXACT same effect as long as the user of the firearm selects 147gr 9mm ammunition, which is subsonic. :)

Cute 9mm carbine … but it's ultimately a solution in search of a problem, IMHO.

Surreal

P.S. I have an integrally suppressed .22 rifle -- purchased specifically because .22 subsonic ammunition is more expensive (for less powder charge) than the supersonic rounds … and because .22 subsonic ammunition often has issues cycling .22's semi-autos.  Thus, I looked into a solution that would be super quiet despite use of supersonic ammunition, which I wanted to use to ensure the action cycled.  147gr 9mm ammunition that is subsonic has no such issue, as it typically costs the same as 124gr supersonic ammunition … and it reliably cycles 9mm semi-autos.  

• 1 month later...

I don't know about sabots, some of those require adaptors, but the Saiga was specifically designed to be able to use slug and other specialized rounds. The main thing to remember is to change the gas plug setting depending on whether you're using full power or low power shells. Which I'm given to understand is not the simplest or easiest of tasks.

5 hours ago, DusterBoy said:

So what counts as which in terms of shotgun shells?

If you mean, "What counts as low power vs. high power" it tends to be bean bag and bird shot and non-lethal are low powered shells... where as slugs and double-ought are high power.  I'm no expert, but that is what I got from reading up on it a bit.

Also length of hull of the casing. There are several European That shoot short hulls; around 2 in.  Or sub two inch, which is great for low recoil and limited range appplications. Standard hull length is two and a quarter inches.  Powder and loads vary, but are generally standardized for semi auto shotguns. “Three inch magnums”,

are what it says o the tin, but are usually limited to appproved modern military shotguns loys odnslug rounds, door busters, double aught buck, and various experimental rounds. They are all characterized by heavy recoil. 

Image result for ks-23k

This is the KS-23K, a bullpup variant of the Russian KS-23 shotgun.  The weapon is based on a "recycled" 23mm cannon barrel, and the gauge is therefore quite large, around 6 gauge.  Slug rounds fired by the KS-23 are capable of penetrating an engine block at 100 meters.  The bullpup version carries 7 rounds in the magazine, while the standard pump version carries 1+3 shells.  If you need an overpowered shotgun for your game, this is an excellent candidate.