Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

I like the large bore AR-15's out there, I don't know how practical they really are but they do look cool. In addition to the Beowulf guns listed above, there is another company using .338 and .458 rounds and an AR-10 chambered for a .50 round.

http://teppojutsu.com/welcome.htm

My overall understanding of the various big-bored ARs is that they are effective, but not for the mission that the original AR was good for. The big bore versions all reduce your available number of rounds, making them pretty low on the overall long-term firepower scale, but pack bigger punch, obviously.

The .500 Beowulf requires magazine modifications involving the lips of the magazine. The .458 SOCOM requires no modification of the metal, just a different follower, and the .338 is just reduced rounds using an AR-10 magazine, I believe.... not so sure on that last one. I forget the actual round count, but its in the teens, if I remember correctly, for the .500 Beowulf and .458 SOCOM rounds unless you use elongated magazines.

They are fascinating, but kind of against the purpose of that platform, and kind of negates the usefulness of the format for things like suppression fire and the like, or the typical quick fire used with those weapons as they run dry rather quickly. Probably best utilized in limited engagements where more power is needed than a 5.56mm Nato can give. Perhaps in place of the shorty shotguns they use?

My overall understanding of the various big-bored ARs is that they are effective, but not for the mission that the original AR was good for. The big bore versions all reduce your available number of rounds, making them pretty low on the overall long-term firepower scale, but pack bigger punch, obviously.

The .500 Beowulf requires magazine modifications involving the lips of the magazine. The .458 SOCOM requires no modification of the metal, just a different follower, and the .338 is just reduced rounds using an AR-10 magazine, I believe.... not so sure on that last one. I forget the actual round count, but its in the teens, if I remember correctly, for the .500 Beowulf and .458 SOCOM rounds unless you use elongated magazines.

They are fascinating, but kind of against the purpose of that platform, and kind of negates the usefulness of the format for things like suppression fire and the like, or the typical quick fire used with those weapons as they run dry rather quickly. Probably best utilized in limited engagements where more power is needed than a 5.56mm Nato can give. Perhaps in place of the shorty shotguns they use?

I know one of the big bore AR's (Beowulf IIRC) was being marketed as an anti-vehicle rifle, something that could take out the engine block of a car or boat. The .458 SOCOM was being pushed as a suppressed semi auto rifle, that big bullet doesn't need to be supersonic to deliver a lot of energy to the target.

I'd guess these guns are 80% beer & pretzels and 20% actual need for them. :D

Re: The .50 Beowulf 'Monster Slayer'

I love this gun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_Beowulf

http://www.alexanderarms.com/beowulf.htm

I would be interested in other people's write ups. I did one, but suspect that I went all 'fan-boy' on it and exaggerated the numbers:

I came up with 2d6+1 with a +2 stnx for both the .50 Beowulf and .458 SOCOM, 2d6 with a +2 stnx for the subsonic loads.

Both rounds are roughly equal in power to the 7.62mm NATO or .30-06, just slower with a bigger bullet.

I have always had a soft spot for KelTec's SU16 w/ optional bayonet, their folding carbine version and their 5.56mm pistol. Darned neat to look at.

BTW, love that Bushwhacker.

I like the 5.56mm pistol, but so far my two favorites of their guns are the

RFB bullpup 7.62x51mm. the "carbine is only 26" long, has an 18" barrel, and a 20 round magazine!

then the P3AT. Sure, it is "only" a .380 acp, but a .380 no one knows you have beats a .44 magnum you had to leave at home. :eg:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3at.html

I can LITERALLY cover one of these up with my hand, and my dad carried his in his back pocket for 2 years, no one knew he had it. :thumbup:

Their new PF-9 looks good, but not quite as small.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.html

I know one of the big bore AR's (Beowulf IIRC) was being marketed as an anti-vehicle rifle, something that could take out the engine block of a car or boat. The .458 SOCOM was being pushed as a suppressed semi auto rifle, that big bullet doesn't need to be supersonic to deliver a lot of energy to the target.

I'd guess these guns are 80% beer & pretzels and 20% actual need for them. :D

the I like the idea of them for short range hunting rifles.

If the recoil is tolerable to the officer involved, I think they would be good patrol rifles for rural law enforcement. by changing magazines, one could have a sintered core frangible bullet that would not overpenetrate (in theory), a hollowpoint for putting down road hit game or livestock, or an AP round that should do a fair job of penetrating engine blocks and such.

I would also give serious thought to them in a "stargate" type campaign situation. If you don't know what you might run into, how do you know your 5.56mm will handle it? Personally, I would lean towards 7.62x51mm, 6.5x55mm, .260 Rem... OR even more powerful.

having a Marlin 1895GS " stainless steel GUIDE GUN "

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895GS.aspx

with a ghost ring rear sight and a picatinny rail mounted 1.5-4.5 x leupold scope

loaded with hot and heavy loads like the Garrett

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

the 420 grain (437 grains= 1 ounce) Super hard cast semi-wadcutter (wide meplat) at 1850 fps will iirc do a through and through on TWO zebras.... :eek:

the speer 500 grain tungsten cored solid at 1530... :ugly:

they also make a soft point 350 grain at 2000fps and several companies make similar loads.

Should have a reasonable chance of stopping ANY land animal on this planet with the right loads and a decent shot.

Oh my' date=' I can't believe I forgot this one... the weapon of the Graviton Cleric, a highly modified Beretta 92 =)[/quote']

I suspect it is technically a highly modified Beretta 93R, due to the selector switch.

However, I believe you are correct, as the 93r I believe is a variant of the 92.

American 180, a .22LR hose (extremely high rate of fire, supposidely the recoil doesn't affect the aim until AFTER the entire burst goes downrange)

Ares FMG knockoff, in closed "Radio-mode" (designed to look vaguely like a protable radio, I like the antenna: nice touch)

Ares FMG knockoff about three second later (according to their claim), transformed and ready for action! Go Go Gunbot.

KRISS submachinegun, another high rate of fire, but with design features designed specifically to reduce recoil effects.

A nice bullpup sniper rifle, based on another KelTec (I like the original design, which has nice clean lines and the same barrel length of the FAL because of the bullpup design, this one has that much more barrel length whcih is key with sniper rifles AIU)

I suspect it is technically a highly modified Beretta 93R, due to the selector switch.

However, I believe you are correct, as the 93r I believe is a variant of the 92.

The selector switch was added on, actually, from a Beretta 92. The older Berettas had a manual safety, so perhaps its based on one of those. Not sure, really. It was all in an article where the guy who made it talked about how he made it.

With the 93R, the slide would be a bit beefier, then there'd be the complication of fitting that front add-on piece over the extra assembly in the front. Also, the stock would be different, as the 93R had provisions for a stock, a different kind of magazine, and something or other I forget about...

The 93R was based off the 92, but underwent quite a bit of modification, including beefing everything up. Most of it was thickness and the front assembly for the small forward grip, and in the stock. Obviously the frame and slide were beefed up a bit as well, making it a slightly meatier looking gun.

I had a brief research streak as I considered purchasing one until I hit the legal wall of Illinois gun fear.

One I had only half noted....

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn73-e.htm

:eg:

Still pretty heavy, but there are a lot of weapons in the same range, M60, etc...

same site has a nice writeup on the Kel-tec RFB

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn75-e.htm

This one has been posted before, but... :eg:

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn72-e.htm

and if you REALLY need a weapon for the 30+ strength 8' tall brick in you party...

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn55-e.htm

Then the question becomes, 14.5mm for AP, or 20mm for HE effect

edit

one of my favorite "gamer guns" but one that I would actually like to have is this

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg73-e.htm

marketed in the US as the EAA Witness line, the steel framed versions ability to be converted to anything from 9mm through .45, including full bore 10mm Auto... is nice. It felt superb in my hand, iirc better than my sig p228. the ability to have iirc 16 rds of 10mm auto in a reasonably sized gun...

Back during the 70's and 80's, the Germans seemed to have a thing about making weapons that looked like they were mated with their own luggage. The best examples I can remember are the Walther WA-2000 (featured in The Living Daylights) and the H&K G11 (which would have replaced the G3 as the Bundeswher's standard rifle in the 1990s if not for the collapse of the Soviet Union).

wa2000-ira3.jpgg11k2.jpg:cool:

walther-wa2000-1.jpgg11.gif

For those who like rifles with lots of stuff on them, I offer this delectable rifle... a modification of the M14 from before the vietnam era, brought into the modern age. These are two different versions...

An interesting smg from H&K... the MP7.

It's funny you bring that one up. This is the standard SMG for H4H. It's also pretty much the "generic SMG" I use for villains...mostly because I know those stats pretty well.

Since you seem to be so gunny lately...how about some homework? One of the things I always thought the DC gun list was missing was another column. One column that would differentiate between common uses for the weapon. Is it an SMG? Is it a Sniper Rifle? That way you could look down the list, when looking for a sniper rifle, and just consider that ones marked Sniper.

I would basically like to have a list of two or three weapons for each general category.

Actually, I think if all the gun-bunnies put their minds to it, we might be able to cover the whole darned list! :)

See how I get other people to do all the boring work? 8D

It's funny you bring that one up. This is the standard SMG for H4H. It's also pretty much the "generic SMG" I use for villains...mostly because I know those stats pretty well.

Since you seem to be so gunny lately...how about some homework? One of the things I always thought the DC gun list was missing was another column. One column that would differentiate between common uses for the weapon. Is it an SMG? Is it a Sniper Rifle? That way you could look down the list, when looking for a sniper rifle, and just consider that ones marked Sniper.

I would basically like to have a list of two or three weapons for each general category.

Actually, I think if all the gun-bunnies put their minds to it, we might be able to cover the whole darned list! :)

See how I get other people to do all the boring work? 8D

The problem with "categorizing" certain weapons nowadays is that the differences are so much less than they were ages ago. In fact, that's mostly an opinion derived from a modern perspective. Depending on technology levels, time period, etc. the role of a gun changes. To the modern soldier, the only reason to use a bolt action is if you're a sniper... to the WWI crowd, its a standard armament.

Another example is that the setup of the same rifle changes its role. An M-14, which is a bit older but still in use, is a standard infantry rifle to some. Put a scope on it, perhaps a trigger job and some other accessories, and its a sniper rifle. I believe one of the top snipers of american history used an M-14. Shorten up the barrel or use the alternate version I showed above, and it can be a CQB rifle (arguable for some, considering its a .308, but still..) etc. etc.

One of the reasons I think that's not included is because of these and other reasons. Besides setup and time reference, its only really viable for only one setting. As is, I don't necessarily agree with how its set up in the game as standard anyway, I just don't bother to quibble with it as its only minutely bothersome, as in the H4H game, I'll just build what I want. =)

As an aside, on my list of projects right now is making a prop gun for Father Martin for my own amusement. I was going to use the Hellboy prop gun out there as a basis until I saw the price tag ($299). OUCH! So its back to PVC, Bondo, and wood... cuz I don't have a metal shop handy... or much skill with that stuff, even if I did. =)