Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

Springfield M1As fill the bill for main battle rifle nicely:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?clicktype=rifles

I'm personally considering one of the following:

Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail: Probably the best deal in a thousand dollar 1911.

Or, if the budget can't handle it (contingent on a few other purchases coming up):

Springfield XD in .45 acp, probably compact 4" model.

Springfield Mil-Spec 1911, stainless

The XD is contingent on a test fire. After handling it at the store, I'm not sure how well it really fits my hand. The 9mm is a pretty perfect fit, though, but I don't really like the caliber.

The Taurus PT1911 is pretty tempting in that price range, but they're currently at 50/50 lemons with me on their revolvers, and their customer service is slow as mud. Springfield offers far better QC and customer service in that price range.

A technical question, if I may....

I understand that the perforated tube surrounding a gun's barrel is called a "cooling jacket" (see picture for clairity)

How does that keep a weapon (or just its barrel) cool?

Someone else here will know better, I'm not real tops on this, but it looks like in that example there is a sleeve over the barrel, of which the perforations are a part... but even if not so, usually the perforated section is there to protect the users from the barrel's heat, and the perforations themselves are there to allow more air to the barrel to help it cool... pretty necessary on a machine gun, not so much on the various crap you'll see it on. Effective? Not really sure.

As for battle rifle, I kind of like the Mark 14 Mod 0 here: http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Dunno, too many doo-dads, but has some interesting potential if you like a lot of gee-gaws on your rifles.

Someone out there makes a great compact rifle, saw it on Futureweapons... I forget who makes it, but it was in 6mm, I think. That would be neat. I like things that are compact like sub-guns that pack a decent wallop. Short arms require short arms, if that makes sense. =) Too bad it doesn't come in .458 Socom or something.

a video clip of the Kel-tec PLR-16 5.56mm autoloading pistol

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/videos/plr1.wmv

With the muzzle brake properly installed, it looks like double taps are reasonably possible.

If I had the know-how, I'd be tempted to delete the sound from that movie and substitute some sound effects from Star Wars. That gun looks just like something one of Jabba's hired killers would use.

A technical question, if I may....

I understand that the perforated tube surrounding a gun's barrel is called a "cooling jacket" (see picture for clairity)

How does that keep a weapon (or just its barrel) cool?

It increases the surface to volume ratio of the barrel, allowing it to radiate heat faster.

Even with that, you still have to control your bursts. Machine guns heat up fast, and if you're firing it at Hollywood rates, it can warp enough to throw the accuracy right out the window.

As for battle rifle, I kind of like the Mark 14 Mod 0 here: http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Dunno, too many doo-dads, but has some interesting potential if you like a lot of gee-gaws on your rifles.

Someone out there makes a great compact rifle, saw it on Futureweapons... I forget who makes it, but it was in 6mm, I think. That would be neat. I like things that are compact like sub-guns that pack a decent wallop. Short arms require short arms, if that makes sense. =) Too bad it doesn't come in .458 Socom or something.

:eek: $3499.95 :eek: $50 per mag :eek: I like the rifle a lot but holy crap!

• 2 weeks later...

:eek: $3499.95 :eek: $50 per mag :eek: I like the rifle a lot but holy crap!

I said I kind of liked it, not that I could necessarily afford it. =) Still, you can get a springfield armory rifle and just get the conversion kit. Personally, I think I'd just get the SA rifle and call it a day, maybe get a picatinny top for quick-release sights/scopes... but in Illinois (Ill-annoy), there really aren't many places to fire a rifle that don't cost membership and a 3 hour drive, so the point is moot.

Couldn't leave it alone, sorry.

Kriss has a website -- looks impressive.

I had the pleasure of firing a prototype KRIS submachine gun (semi-auto) at open range day at GAT guns in Feburary. IT was a NICE weapon.

I own a reproduction Thompson SubMachine Gun (semi-auto NOT an original automatic).

The felt recoil was FAR less on KRISS and they both used .45ACP (same bullet used in the Colt .45 semiauto and in 1911). The KRISS recoil damping system really works, muzzle climb was very low (it was higher on the Thompson). This is really amazing considering the KRISS loaded was about 8lb and the Thompson loaded is about 13lb (with 50round drum magazine).

Great weapon, but I already own a .45ACP carbine. If I did not I would purchase the KRISS.

I had the pleasure of firing a prototype KRIS submachine gun (semi-auto) at open range day at GAT guns in Feburary. IT was a NICE weapon.

I own a reproduction Thompson SubMachine Gun (semi-auto NOT an original automatic).

The felt recoil was FAR less on KRISS and they both used .45ACP (same bullet used in the Colt .45 semiauto and in 1911). The KRISS recoil damping system really works, muzzle climb was very low (it was higher on the Thompson). This is really amazing considering the KRISS loaded was about 8lb and the Thompson loaded is about 13lb (with 50round drum magazine).

Great weapon, but I already own a .45ACP carbine. If I did not I would purchase the KRISS.

the Kriss is also really expensive. =) Looks weird, but sounds great. What carbine do you own? I've been looking for a decent one for ages... I was gonna buy the H&K USC-45, but apparently its banned or something now. *sigh* I tried the Beretta Storm or whatever its called and didn't like it much.

>>the Kriss is also really expensive. =) Looks weird, but sounds great.

>> What carbine do you own?

Kriss is pricey BUT worth it IMHO. My Thompson is classified as a carbine.

Take a look at other brands of Carbines.

>>the Kriss is also really expensive. =) Looks weird, but sounds great.

>> What carbine do you own?

Kriss is pricey BUT worth it IMHO. My Thompson is classified as a carbine.

Take a look at other brands of Carbines.

Suggestions? As far as I know, there aren't a lot out there. I am still considering a thompson, but not sure it really fits my needs... but owning a tommy gun is just way tempting. =)

Suggestions? As far as I know' date=' there aren't a lot out there. I am still considering a thompson, but not sure it really fits my needs... but owning a tommy gun is just way tempting. =)[/quote']

there is a carbine that uses the frame of a 1911 in its operation (I think there are other versions) that iirc seemed accurate at 50' though clunky and there was a "spring noise" similar to an M16/AR15 only louder.

I would really like to have a decent M1 carbine. light, handy...

Now if one could be found that was accurate:( My dad sold both of his. The barrels were bent.

The terminal performance when using softpoint or hollowpoint ammo is apparently dramatically different. More like the very best .357 magnums, iirc.

If you could live without a semi-auto, there is a LOT to be said for a Marlin or WInchester lever action carbine. In .357 magnum or .44 magnum, iirc they hold about twice as many shells as when in .30-30. Out of the longer barrel either round picks up dramatically in performance.

I think winchester still makes one in .480 ruger too.

Rossi/Taurus makes a model 92 clone that is available in .357, .38-40(??) .44-40, .45 LC, and .454 Casull!!!! The last has a rubber buttplate, as I recall.

If I had a couple grand to throw around, I would like to pick up the 18or 24 inch barreled version of the Kel-tec .308 bullpup that is due out this year. the 18 inch barreled version is only 26 1/2 inches overall...:eg:

there is a carbine that uses the frame of a 1911 in its operation (I think there are other versions) that iirc seemed accurate at 50' though clunky and there was a "spring noise" similar to an M16/AR15 only louder.

If you could live without a semi-auto, there is a LOT to be said for a Marlin or WInchester lever action carbine. In .357 magnum or .44 magnum, iirc they hold about twice as many shells as when in .30-30. Out of the longer barrel either round picks up dramatically in performance.

I think winchester still makes one in .480 ruger too.

Rossi/Taurus makes a model 92 clone that is available in .357, .38-40(??) .44-40, .45 LC, and .454 Casull!!!! The last has a rubber buttplate, as I recall.

If I had a couple grand to throw around, I would like to pick up the 18or 24 inch barreled version of the Kel-tec .308 bullpup that is due out this year. the 18 inch barreled version is only 26 1/2 inches overall...:eg:

I've tried the weird "make your pistol a carbine" thing with a glock version someone had. Right off the bat you have to buy sights and a raised rail to even use it, since the sight line is terrible. The stock was broken where it had been puttied together, and the same hollow springy noise. It was decently accurate, but otherwise a piece of crap in my mind.

I like lever actions, but I'm wanting a semi-auto. I was going to buy a Marlin 1894PG, but then they discontinued it and I haven't seen it since. It was in a guide gun kind of format. A .44 mag, pistol gripped, short barreled lever with the full length tube would be great. I'll have to check taurus to see what they have. Marlin no longer makes this rifle with a pistol grip. My wrist is rather inflexible these days, so the straight grip is a tad uncomfortable... and apparently whoever owns the pistol grip ones isn't giving them up, cuz I'm not seeing any.

As long as we're throwing a few grand around, I'm curious about FN's FS2000 bullpup. Kind of sleek looking, .223 is doable, and... uh... it looks neat. =)

The KRISS was under consideration, but at $1700 for a thirteen round carbine (30 if you buy big glock mags or their $35 conversion kits), its a bit much. At this point, I'm willing to consider Ruger's pistol carbines, an AR conversion, or something... I'm not looking to break the bank, essentially. I have too many hobbies that take up too much money as is. Heck, one hobby requires I take out a loan every time I want to buy something... *sigh*

Beretta makes a nice carbine in 9mm, .40 and .45. Illegal in California, though, curse the luck.

http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20CX4_Storm/CX4_storm1.htm

Except that it feels like a toy, shoots like a toy, and comes only somewhat assembled... like a toy. Gaps in the body, sights belonged on a cheap airsoft gun, and it only takes their stupid pistol mags. If you want it to have higher capacity than the normal pistol mag, you have to buy iffy after-market mags and hope for the best.

I shot one, I wasn't impressed. This was several years ago, maybe they're better now, but I didn't like it when I tried it. Getting it in .45 made for some pretty pathetic choices in mags as well, which is what I'd prefer.

The odd thing is, I'm not against plastic. Beretta has so far been all misses for me... the 92FS kicked a lot for a 9mm large sized handgun though the fit and finish were very nice. The cougars I shot had terrible triggers and shot for crap besides being ugly as sin. The storm was very disappointing, and their new line of oddly shaped pistols doesn't even pique my interest. *sigh*

They come close, many times, but always fall short for me.

I was thinking of trying the USC-45 until it became import banned and those remaining shot up in price. Sheesh. At this point, my options seem to be buying a thompson, or the KRISS, or the Storm... I haven't ever touched the first two at they start at $1200 for the base thompson and $1500 for the KRISS. I think the USC is in the same range, and I can't get ahold of one even get a feel for that either.

Honestly, I may just have to get a lever gun or just stick with the shotgun. More likely, though, I'll just buy some more paintball crap instead. =)