Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

There're man-portable laser systems. That's a given (since I have them in 1.0). Also, caseless weapons, gyrojets, tasers, and microwave weapons. Not to mention ion cannons and the like. Yeah, some of it's pretty out there, but this is an anime setting with cold fusion and mecha.

There're man-portable laser systems. That's a given (since I have them in 1.0). Also' date=' caseless weapons, gyrojets, tasers, and microwave weapons. Not to mention ion cannons and the like. Yeah, some of it's pretty out there, but this is an anime setting with cold fusion and mecha.[/quote']

I was thinking a significantly longer ranged anti aircraft style laser weapon... otoh, I don't have my K5 with me to check against it.

Armed unmanned air vehicles will probably be beyond commonplace. by 2030 I can envision things the size of a robin or smaller that swarm an area transmitting data to create a "synthetic vision" of the area in three dimensions, then can attack targets either via a ranged weapon or by crashing and self destructing...

I suspect the long range rail guns like the Navy is developing will be fairly common. they are basically artillery though.

Kitten: Do want!

Yeah, that''ll be good. The term I'm going to use is AMR or 'anti-material rifle.' I swear Styer had one that looked like Shirow drew it.

They do or at least did, 15.5mm as I recall.

The neat thing with the South African 20mm is it uses the same round as the WW2 German 20mm aircraft gun.

They do or at least did, 15.5mm as I recall.

The neat thing with the South African 20mm is it uses the same round as the WW2 German 20mm aircraft gun.

Not quite. It uses the same projectile, but the case is shortened for the roughly 1000fps velocity.

There is an article with some pics at http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/PAW.htm.

One of my favorite "what if" weapons is the British Enfield EM-2 rifle from immediately Post WWII. If the idiots in the US ARMY had not scuttled it by insisting on the 7.62x51mm round!!!!!:mad::help: (If you want to read about incompetence, read some of the rifle development projects of the last 120 years!)

a good link for info on it is http://world.guns.ru/assault/as59-e.htm

and the site is good on many guns.

Today someone posted elsewhere a link to a video that actually shows it in use.

IIRC it is at about 4.5 minutes or so

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/enfield_video_page.htm

looks like it was VERY controllable:thumbup:

Sounds like Cyberpunk, or close enough to it, that these following links may be useful to you:

Cyberpunk 2021 has a great gear page and is downloadable as PDFs.

Datafortress 2020 has a lot of stuff, if you can sift through it all, but also has a lot of shirow stuff to possibly use.

Night City Data Term 42C has a few items as well.

Rad's Cyberpunk Gunpage has some and also a program to "draw" guns. Though, as I remember, you don't need help there. =)

Hope those help, but as far as real weapon systems, a lot of the guys already hit it up and most of the "new" stuff for the US deals in taking the current weapon systems and just modifying them to gas systems, adding abilities to shoot around cover with swiveling stocks and cameras, adding 25-40mm grenade or shotgun backups, more places to attach more crap, and changing the cartridge used. Not a whole lot of "new" to it, really.

Caseless is mostly bypassed because no one can make one that actually burns up everything, so it leaves crap in the mechanism to foul the action, thus negating the bonus of having a closed system and requiring it to act as our current system already does, minus the brass, but with possibly quite a bit more fouling. That's my understanding thus far, but I can't say I really keep up with it. Besides, its probably more about making it CHEAP and not fouling rather than not fouling. Meh.

Lasers and microwaves and all that just seems like a colossal waste of resources to me since it requires so much power compared to just packing an brass tube with some powder and a chunk of metal in front of it. If they ever develop something that operates on a much more efficient power source, maybe it'll be viable. Who the heck wants to hump a couple hundred pounds of batteries?

The other side is that crazy people are trying to make bigger and bigger guns, including handguns. I've now seen a .600 nitro revolver on here and heard of a .700 nitro. My wrist aches just thinking about it.

BTW, Gewing, the .577 Manstopper looks AWESOME... it reminded me of my thoughts about getting 12 gauge slugs with hollowpoint slugs. What's the point of a hollowpoint at that size?! Well, overkill is alive and well, my friends... and I LIKE IT!

Nope. Finally remembered some newer weapon systems that you might find interesting. At least I did...

I want this rifle VERY much, but there's not a civilian version. :mad:

Knight Arms PDW 6x35mm Its a pretty sweet weapon in between a SMG and a full rifle.

For a rifle, this FNH FS2000 Carbine would be pretty nice as well. I think it was linked before.

And speaking of SMGs, the Kriss SMG is something new technology-wise, if you count using this type of cam new technology, anyway. I guess more a re-application of technology.

I usually just stat by caliber and then occasionally by fire rate and inherent accuracy or some-such or just base it off what's already there. Most of these firearms are all the same crap. I'd just make the PDW the same as an M-4, the FS2000 is just more compact and has some visual factors but otherwise similar to an M-16, and the Kriss is just a Tommy Gun w/o the recoil. Since Hero doesn't really do recoil, I don't sweat it, except a lower strength minimum maybe? =)

SNIP

Caseless is mostly bypassed because no one can make one that actually burns up everything, so it leaves crap in the mechanism to foul the action, thus negating the bonus of having a closed system and requiring it to act as our current system already does, minus the brass, but with possibly quite a bit more fouling. That's my understanding thus far, but I can't say I really keep up with it. Besides, its probably more about making it CHEAP and not fouling rather than not fouling. Meh.

Lasers and microwaves and all that just seems like a colossal waste of resources to me since it requires so much power compared to just packing an brass tube with some powder and a chunk of metal in front of it. If they ever develop something that operates on a much more efficient power source, maybe it'll be viable. Who the heck wants to hump a couple hundred pounds of batteries?

The other side is that crazy people are trying to make bigger and bigger guns, including handguns. I've now seen a .600 nitro revolver on here and heard of a .700 nitro. My wrist aches just thinking about it.

BTW, Gewing, the .577 Manstopper looks AWESOME... it reminded me of my thoughts about getting 12 gauge slugs with hollowpoint slugs. What's the point of a hollowpoint at that size?! Well, overkill is alive and well, my friends... and I LIKE IT!

Check out the Lightweight Small Arms Technology links. They seem pretty confident about the Caseless, though I would tend to go more conservatively and use either the polymer Cased Telescoped round or that one I posted some time ago with the straight brass case. It may have met the goals, if it didn't it was close... I have also read that a stainless steel case could be thinner walled and lighter.

as to why hollowpoint on shotguns?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Foster slugs at full velocity seem to turn into 1.0 inch or larger donuts!

The Federal load of a Barnes Xpander slug opens to about 1.5 inches diameter!!!:nonp:

I wish I had a shorter barrel for my 870! :eg: A 26" bird barrel is a little long for in the house!;)

as to why hollowpoint on shotguns?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Foster slugs at full velocity seem to turn into 1.0 inch or larger donuts!

The Federal load of a Barnes Xpander slug opens to about 1.5 inches diameter!!!:nonp:

I wish I had a shorter barrel for my 870! :eg: A 26" bird barrel is a little long for in the house!;)

Heh, wow, someone else who looks at the Box of Truth. =) Very cool. I like the gelatin test with the #1 buckshot. I may have to consider changing to that. I currently load Low Recoil 00 Buckshot and Federal HP Rifled Slugs on the side-saddle. Good to see they tested well, though. Still, that #1 Buck looked good with the extra pellets, though not as well with the drywall, it seemed to still get a good amount of penetration. Might be nicer since its just a house gun anyway.

Hey, didn't say I didn't like the overkill... just tried to imagine getting hit with a hollowpoint slug... like getting big ol' golf ball pushed through ya. Heh.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, lets try this...

S&H 2-Bore Blackpowder Express

SPECIFICATIONS

Bullet Diameter:

1.3260 in.

Max Overall Length:

4.000 in.

Rifling Twist:

Rifling Lands:

Case Capacity (est):

959.4 gr. water

Primer Size:

.315 in.

NOMINAL PERFORMANCE

Bullet Weight:

3500 gr

Muzzle Velocity:

1500 fps

Muzzle Energy:

17494 ft-lbs

"Easy Link" to this cartridge (copy and paste into emails, forums, etc.):

S&H 2-Bore Blackpowder Express - http://ammoguide.com/?catid=489

The S&H 2-Bore Blackpowder Express is the product of Schroeder & Hetzendorfer, LLC at http://www.2-bore.com/

History of the 2-bore rifle is somewhat enigmatic. Certainly there were a number of large bore-caliber punt guns produced in the mid nineteenth century for use in waterfowling. There is even record of adaptation of quasi two bore rifles for hunting elephant and other large game in 19th century Africa. These rifles were mostly smoothbore muzzle loaders of varied bore diameter and none are known to have possessed a true 1.326"+ bore or groove.

Bore caliber rifles utilizing modern fixed ammunition were eventually produced in limited numbers and did find their way to various hunting grounds. These seem to have peaked in size with four bore and a generally recognized standard bore of slightly less than the official 1.052". A few 2-bore rifles have been produced in effect by lengthening existing 4-bore cases and increasing projectile weight to 3500 grains with corresponding charge weight.

There are serious engineering difficulties which make the application of a true 2-bore sporting rifle a difficult prospect. Recoil, weight, utility, and cost put significant constraints on the designer. After considerable effort, S&H believe they have satisfactorily addressed these issues with a complimentary rifle and cartridge pairing and the use of some innovative technology.

The S&H 2-Bore cartridge case and rifle will be the first serially produced true 2-bore system.

The above dimensions represent the latest specifications currently in production, based on recent S&H drawings

I have no idea what 2-bore and 4-bore and all that means.. but dang, 1.3260 inch diameter, 4 inch long cartridge with a 3500 grain bullet at 1500 fps?!?! I wouldn't volunteer to fire the thing unless the rifle was 50 pounds and had a lot of other stuff to tame it. It sounds horrendous... and its not like I'm real recoil shy... but I don't enjoy pain, either. =)

I have no idea what 2-bore and 4-bore and all that means.. but dang' date=' 1.3260 inch diameter, 4 inch long cartridge with a 3500 grain bullet at 1500 fps?!?! I wouldn't volunteer to fire the thing unless the rifle was 50 pounds and had a lot of other stuff to tame it. It sounds horrendous... and its not like I'm real recoil shy... but I don't enjoy pain, either. =)[/quote']

IIRC, Bore is just a less used alternative to Gauge, which translates to "how many lead balls of this diameter would it take to make a pound?"

Link

Exactly bore and gauge can be interchanged sort of like box magazine and clip, technically not correct terminology but a common slang usage.

Gauge is simply a bore measurement using lead balls. The bore diameter of a 12 gauge shotgun is the same as the diameter of lead ball 1/12 of a pound. English double rifles in the 19th century frequently used the term bore measuring like most shotguns do, so a 2 bore rifle has a bore diameter = to the diameter of a 1/2 pound lead ball.