Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

I'd love to know how many dozens of hours at the practice range are required to put shots from that monster on target' date=' even at short distances. I have extremely limited range experience, but even just jumping from a 9mm to a .40 persuaded me that "the higher the caliber, the harder the targeting" is a solid general axiom for handguns.;)[/quote']

In Kazei 5 you get stats for a 15mm, 3-shot revolver. It's also recommend you only fire it if you have cyberarms or are a cyborg.

I think the Magnum Research BFR can be chambered for .450 Marlin rounds, some of which can generate almost 5,000 joules of muzzle energy.:eek: That's likely the upper limit for handguns that aren't one-off oddities like the Pfeifer Zeliska(.600 or .700 Nitro Express) or the various attempts to build a .50 BMG handgun.

In Kazei 5 you get stats for a 15mm' date=' 3-shot revolver. It's also recommend you only fire it if you have cyberarms or are a cyborg.[/quote']

Mayfair's Underground game had handgun calibers ranging from .50 to 15mm to 20mm to 25mm and even 30mm. You needed to be clearly superhumanly strong for anything above about .50 caliber. It is an interesting concept in any game where superstrength exists, to have ludicrously powerful handguns, though.

Mayfair's Underground game had handgun calibers ranging from .50 to 15mm to 20mm to 25mm and even 30mm. You needed to be clearly superhumanly strong for anything above about .50 caliber. It is an interesting concept in any game where superstrength exists' date=' to have ludicrously powerful handguns, though.[/quote']

Considering some of the cyborgs of STR 35-43 and one of the espers has 40 STR, firing things like this aren't totally impossible. I've considered writing up some of those absurd one-off revolvers as cyberdroid stoppers for the setting.

Maybe in the expansion.

I think the Magnum Research BFR can be chambered for .450 Marlin rounds' date=' some of which can generate almost 5,000 joules of muzzle energy.:eek: That's likely the upper limit for handguns that aren't one-off oddities like the Pfeifer Zeliska(.600 or .700 Nitro Express) or the various attempts to build a .50 BMG handgun.[/quote']

I thought that the 454 Casull was the most powerful pistol... but I'm wrong, it was until a recent indevor to build the .460 S&W Magnum and the .500 S&W Magnum. At least according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.454_Casull

The recently introduced .460 Smith and Wesson Magnum cartridge has the same diameter as a .45 Colt or .454 Casull, and therefore revolvers chambered for it will also chamber the .454 Casull and .45 Colt. Until the introduction of the .460 S&W Magnum and the .500 S&W Magnum the .454 Casull was the most powerful commercially produced handgun round on the market, significantly eclipsing the more recent .50 AE in both power and availability.

However, Wikipedia isn't always a trustable source of information.

I thought that the 454 Casull was the most powerful pistol... but I'm wrong, it was until a recent indevor to build the .460 S&W Magnum and the .500 S&W Magnum. At least according to this:

Well, the .450 Marlin is technically a rifle round, it's just that the BFR can be chambered to fire it. I expect that's a revelatory and potentially wrist-breaking experience.

Well' date=' the .450 Marlin is technically a rifle round, it's just that the BFR can be chambered to fire it. I expect that's a revelatory and potentially wrist-breaking experience.[/quote']

I've never fired a Casull, but I've heard their near wrist breaking, at pretty close to double the energy output from the Casull, I can see sense in that statement about the .450.

However, when I was younger I fired a lot of 9mm, and got use to the kick, so when I got the chance to fire a .45 I thought that it would be a sob... but it was a much smoother round to fire, I came to understand that many operators (SoF personnel) feel the same way, and came to prefer a .45 for my sidearm. Though I wish that the sig 226 came chambered for .45.

I'd love to know how many dozens of hours at the practice range are required to put shots from that monster on target' date=' even at short distances. I have extremely limited range experience, but even just jumping from a 9mm to a .40 persuaded me that "the higher the caliber, the harder the targeting" is a solid general axiom for handguns.;)[/quote']

Doesn't look all that bad to me, honestly.

The weight and gas porting on the barrel should make bearable to shoot.

Not that I have direct experience with it, but I've but a fair number of wildcat .44 hotloads through a 'ported Ruger Redhawk, and that doesn't seem much worse.

I always have the most recoil issues with lightweight pieces, part of the reason I've never been overly fond of the Glock.

Doesn't look all that bad to me, honestly.

The weight and gas porting on the barrel should make bearable to shoot.

Not that I have direct experience with it, but I've but a fair number of wildcat .44 hotloads through a 'ported Ruger Redhawk, and that doesn't seem much worse.

I always have the most recoil issues with lightweight pieces, part of the reason I've never been overly fond of the Glock.

Agreed. Glocks are too light (my only real problem with them); the Sig-Sauers, though not much heavier, are significantly more controllable.

Then I'm guessing you wouldn't be too thrilled by the idea of a .454 snubnosed revolver.

actually, I think it's damn keen.

after a close encounter with an annoyed mama bear, I started seriously looking at big bore snubbies for a trail gun. That'un a daisy, and I'm personally very fond of Rugers.

I wouldn't, however, expect much distance accuracy out of it, but just to reach out and touch something at 10 feet or so....

Mayfair's Underground game had handgun calibers ranging from .50 to 15mm to 20mm to 25mm and even 30mm. You needed to be clearly superhumanly strong for anything above about .50 caliber. It is an interesting concept in any game where superstrength exists' date=' to have ludicrously powerful handguns, though.[/quote']

I think I mentioned before my friend who wanted his brick to carry a sawed off double barrel 4 ga as his pistol.

Nowadays I might be inclined to let him have it, but have him hunted by fanatical gun collectors for destroying a rare piece!

The BFR series of revolvers always struck me as curiosities or almost "toys."

True, you could hunt anything on the continent with a .45-70 revolver. But you would have to carry the damned thing around, and most people would have to fire it from a rest to be able to hit anything.

I noticed a mention of the .454 snubby. IIRC one is also available in .480 Ruger.

I think they are silly BUT...

While they would be extremely difficult to develop any ability to use them accurately, if you have to defend yourself against a Kodiak Brown bear that is trying to decide whether to eat you or your Salmon first, You probably are at very short range. If nothing else, you could probably stick it down the bears throat or in its belly and pull the trigger... :nonp:

I would rather have a Marlin .45-70 guide gun, I think. I have a MUCH better chance of hitting a threat at more than 10 feet with one. :D

The .475 and .500 LInebaugh revolvers were more powerful than the .454, and were at least in limited production.

I think the new S&W ones are more powerful, but the Linebaugh cartridges were in fairly normal sized revolvers. Not 60.7 ounces for the 6" barreled .500 SMith and Wesson. :P

http://www.customsixguns.com/

I've never fired a Casull, but I've heard their near wrist breaking, at pretty close to double the energy output from the Casull, I can see sense in that statement about the .450.

However, when I was younger I fired a lot of 9mm, and got use to the kick, so when I got the chance to fire a .45 I thought that it would be a sob... but it was a much smoother round to fire, I came to understand that many operators (SoF personnel) feel the same way, and came to prefer a .45 for my sidearm. Though I wish that the sig 226 came chambered for .45.

I was just shooting my Sig P228 9mm and my Kimber .45 this week. I guess the Sig recoils "less" but I like the Kimber much better. Fits my hand better, I guess. :thumbup:

Agreed. Glocks are too light (my only real problem with them); the Sig-Sauers' date=' though not much heavier, are significantly more controllable.[/quote']

I never noticed much difference. I think the Glocks have a lower line of bore compared to the Grip, which I think helps.

My favorite of the Glocks I have shot is the model 23. Compact, yet high capacity, felt good in my hand, and I shot it fairly well.

The .475 and .500 LInebaugh revolvers were more powerful than the .454, and were at least in limited production.

I think the new S&W ones are more powerful, but the Linebaugh cartridges were in fairly normal sized revolvers. Not 60.7 ounces for the 6" barreled .500 SMith and Wesson. :P

http://www.customsixguns.com/

Yah, that's what I took the wiki article to say, I was just saying that I had thought that the .454 was the most powerful hand gun, but I saw that I stood corrected, when I saw that bit about the .475 and .600.

I was just shooting my Sig P228 9mm and my Kimber .45 this week. I guess the Sig recoils "less" but I like the Kimber much better. Fits my hand better' date=' I guess. :thumbup:[/quote']

I'm jellous, I've wanted a SIG for some time, and I think Kimber are the bomb-diggady.

I think though when I get my P226 I'll opt for the 9mm. My uncle get's upset with me, because he hates the "blow through and power of the 9mm round," We also get into fights about the 5.56 being effective.

Yah' date=' that's what I took the wiki article to say, I was just saying that I had thought that the .454 was the most powerful hand gun, but I saw that I stood corrected, when I saw that bit about the .475 and .600.[/quote']

It is amazing all the odball things gun nuts like me have heard of...

I recently learned that the Italian Military issued a "multi-ball" load for the 6.5 Carcano cartridge. It appears to have had a reduced powder charge, a fiber filler, and the "BULLET" was a stack of 6 short relatively short lead cylinders inside a copper or gilding metal jacket, which was scored along its length to weaken it even more. The overall "bullet" was EXTREMELY long, even by the standards of 6.5mm military cartridges. If it had been solid, it would probably have been at or beyond the limits of what can be spin stabilized (roughly a length to diameter ratio of 6-1).

It was apparently issued for riot control among other things. :eek:

I'm jellous, I've wanted a SIG for some time, and I think Kimber are the bomb-diggady.

I think though when I get my P226 I'll opt for the 9mm. My uncle get's upset with me, because he hates the "blow through and power of the 9mm round," We also get into fights about the 5.56 being effective.

If you can afford the more expensive ammo, the .357 sig in the P226 is supposed to be a very accurate, sweet shooting package. Now, the muzzle blast is higher, but...

If you can afford the more expensive ammo' date=' the .357 sig in the P226 is supposed to be a very accurate, sweet shooting package. Now, the muzzle blast is higher, but...[/quote']

Yah, I had thought about that, but to be honest, I'm also looking at a survivalist kit out. I want my ammo to be "easy to find." In case this little deck of cards starts falling quicker.

I'm sticking to:

12 guage (I'd prefer a Mossberg 590A1)

9mm (SIG P226)

.45 APC (Kimber- I like the Desert Warrior model, but that's just me, I'd deal with any really, I did like the USP/MK-23 until I had the chance to hold one, don't like the mag release on the H&K models)

5.56 (I want a AR-15 type model, of course, I've way too many hours behind an M-16/ M-4 to give it up)

and 30-06 just because I like the round (better penetration/ hunting round IMHO) I haven't found one that I quite like yet, it's a "new addition" to my list.

But that kit out requires a significant FOB, so I do have a shortened list, for more... mobile interests.

Unfortunately, my spending has left me with only a 9mm "short gun" so the rest is dream until I can get more money in, more regularly.

I've fired a T/C Encore in .410, and that was unpleasant enough for me (though I was having wrist issues at the time which may have been a factor as well)...

The Sig P220 is a darned nice gun too, at .45ACP. I'm not a big fan of TDA, decock only though...

Yah, I had thought about that, but to be honest, I'm also looking at a survivalist kit out. I want my ammo to be "easy to find." In case this little deck of cards starts falling quicker.

I'm sticking to:

12 guage (I'd prefer a Mossberg 590A1)

9mm (SIG P226)

.45 APC (Kimber- I like the Desert Warrior model, but that's just me, I'd deal with any really, I did like the USP/MK-23 until I had the chance to hold one, don't like the mag release on the H&K models)

5.56 (I want a AR-15 type model, of course, I've way too many hours behind an M-16/ M-4 to give it up)

and 30-06 just because I like the round (better penetration/ hunting round IMHO) I haven't found one that I quite like yet, it's a "new addition" to my list.

But that kit out requires a significant FOB, so I do have a shortened list, for more... mobile interests.

Unfortunately, my spending has left me with only a 9mm "short gun" so the rest is dream until I can get more money in, more regularly.

Nice list.

I like the M-1 Garand for a 30-06 option, it's tough, reliable, accurate, fairly common and usually cheap.