Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

Sort of a random speculation that popped into my head, and I figured this'd be the place to post it...

Why are the Japanese so obsessed with top-break revolvers?

They also likely don't have a lot to do with them anyway, since they're entirely banned there, and since its in fictional works they don't have to worry about the facts of the matter over aesthetics, as Susano stated. =)

I couldn't find it on their website, but Aviation Week and Space technology had a couple interesting things in the last two weeks. Not small arms, but they might have roles in some games.

Last week they did a nearly two page article on the Naval Weapon Stations "Spike" micro missile. Sounds like it may FINALLY be getting close to being fielded. IMO it makes more sense that most modern military development projects.

a 5.5 lb, 25 inch long guided missile. The warhead weighs 2.2 lbs, and can either be a blast fragmentation or an Explosively formed penetrator for light anti-armor. It is a modular design, so they can make changes easily.

It has dual guidance modes. The primary one is when the firer locks the optical imager (digital Camera) onto a target before launch. Max range is quoted at two miles.

In a snapshot type situation at close range it can be fired with a straight inertial guidance.

Man portable launcher also weighs about 5 or 5.5 lbs.

Missile leaves the tube at about 100 mph so the firer is not injured, and there is little or no backblast to give away the position. The rocket fires for about 1.5 seconds, boosting the missile to about 600 mph, then it glides ("silently") in to the target. It is said to be able to hit targets crossing at 60mph. In a test without a warhead, it did a pretty solid job on a boat, and the warhead does a serious job on the cab of a truck.

It is intended to cost under $5k in production. It can also be used from lightweight UAVs, etc. They are working on a pod launcher that two men can lift onto a larger UAV (or helicopter, whatever) that will carry 30 missiles. Talk about an increase in sustained firepower! Sure, it won't kill an MBT from the front, but there are a heck of a lot more trucks, bunkers, etc around than MBTs.

The other bit was a nice little blurb about something I suggested a year or two ago. There have been several semi-active laser guidance units designed for the 2.75 inch aerial rocket. They seem to work quite well, and similar to the Spike, an aircraft can carry a lot more of them than they can Hellfires. Their 10lb class warhead is effective on a lot of targets but without huge collateral damage.

Now, my idea, and someone has been testing it, is to use the same guidance/fuse system on the old Zuni 5" High Velocity Aerial Rocket. Nowhere near the velocity of the 2.75, but the warhead is a lot bigger.

Still, reasonably light, but a 20kg warhead is a whole different kettle of fish. Found a different link on it

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/106457/mbda-demos-semi_active-laser_guided-zuni-rocket.html

could you post a version of that article that doesn't cost $5+ to view?

Sort of a random speculation that popped into my head, and I figured this'd be the place to post it...

Why are the Japanese so obsessed with top-break revolvers?

Granted, they're really cool looking, but the design basically doesn't work with high power modern loads. Despite that little fact it seems like they're EVERYWHERE in Japanese popular media.

:confused:

I think they're trying to evoke "old west chic" with little concern for real world physics. I mean, really, its about cool factor.

I liked running Western Hero campaigns at one time. I used to have two different replicas of Colt cap-and-ball revolvers and enjoyed shooting them both. Here's a few links to Civil War-era firearms:

of Civil War Revolver Replicas

Actually, if you Google "old west" OR cowboy firearms you'll find a lot of examples.

Never did like S&W semi-autos much. I've fired one in .45 ACP' date=' one in 9mm, and they never did impress me. They weren't bad, they just weren't right for me is all. *shrug* Felt a tad awkward, though they shot well enough. I didn't like the controls, either.[/quote']

There is no perfect user interface.

Nope, not likely, but there are those that come closer and some that are perfect for some people. I really liked the feel of a sig-sauer 1911, just had a lot of the right things for me. I also enjoy some revolver grips quite a lot. It just all depends. I tend to like curvy but not too angular a set of grips and any kind of trigger s'long as there's just one mode and its consistent. Take-up doesn't bother me, single action or double action separately don't bother me, but I hate pistols that have that double-action to single-action transition trigger. Oh, and trigger crunch... I don't know what the fancy term for it is, but when there seems to be several stages to making the trigger break or its just... well... crunchy. Like a new browning .22 (forgot the name of it... buckmark?), or some of the early beretta NEOs... haven't a clue what's going on with their trigger break, but it drives me nuts.

I'll take a semi-smooth revolver long pull over a lot of triggers out there, honestly. The glock trigger kind of blows, though I've gotten past it. I like the XDs trigger better, as well as the grips, especially on the XD(M). Now I'm just rambling... sorry. =)

I haven't shot an excessive number of different guns, but I dunno... seems like long guns have the basics down pat while a lot of handguns still have some of the goofiest stuff going on.

That's because users don't come in standard sizes. That's part of the reason there's an aftermarket for custom grips. If one brand doesn't fit your hand right (or can't be inexpensively modified to do so) there are plenty of other brands that might suit you better.

That's because users don't come in standard sizes. That's part of the reason there's an aftermarket for custom grips. If one brand doesn't fit your hand right (or can't be inexpensively modified to do so) there are plenty of other brands that might suit you better.

Agreed.

I was just having a gripe about the "one perfect interface" design philosophy that's in vogue right now.

• 2 weeks later...

"There's an app for that..."

An iPhone app called Bullet Flight enables snipers to calculate range and trajectory for their shots, and built-in satellite-positioning allows local weather conditions to be taken into account. The basic version costs $3.99 and the full military one—which even calculates how the Coriolis effect from the rotation of the Earth will influence a bullet’s flight—costs $29.99.

The Economist, Dec 10, 2009