Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

whilst looking into some of the guns mentioned on the page i found this

FRAG-12Projectile_1.jpg

not a gun but very cool none the less its called Frag12 and its a fin stabilized micro grenade that's fired from a standard 3" shot gun shell they recon its accurate out to 200 yards oh and its British yay national pride

meanwhile the Americans have the perfect tool for firing it the http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh29-e.htm fully auto assault shotgun with a 20 round drum mag shotgun2005_specsimage.jpg

and finally the israeli Tavor assault rifle which is what got me on this in the first place very cool looking I'm sure it will be subbing fro space age weaponry all over holly wood very soon

tavor-2.jpg

Neat find on the oddball shotgun round. Very nice pic, too.

I was going to rant on the shotgun and bullpup rifle, but that's kind of rude... everyone's preferences differ. For a neat shotgun, though, look up the Saiga shotguns. Not always pretty, but looks to work better than the middle contraption.

Has anyone ever actually shot a bullpup style weapon? How hard is it to change magazines? It looks kind of awkward' date=' compared to traditional magazine-in-front-of-the-trigger configuration.[/quote']

Its not really the difficulty of changing magazines, the mechanisms are typically the same, its just the orientation of having the magazine that far back. Depends on what you're used to, really, as rifle mag changes aren't exactly the most convenient in any case. Either way, you have to brace the weapon somehow. In fact, with a bullpup weapon, it might be easier once one gets used to it since you can brace the rifle against yourself by simply holding the rifle against your side or hip. When its in front, you have to manipulate the rifle a bit to get a new mag in, and most use their trigger hand to do it. With a bullpup, you can use your off-hand, like you would with a pistol. I'm not really an experienced rifle shooter, my main long arm being a shotgun, but I'd imagine the bullpup is actually a bit easier on the reload. Of course, if you need a reload, that's kind of an ugly situation in any case.

On the subject of "If you need to reload' date=' you're already hosed" I stumbled across this looking for something completely different, and figured it was worth sharing.[/quote']

I want that as a weapon mod for DOOM 3.

--and finally the israeli Tavor assault rifle which is what got me on this in the first place very cool looking I'm sure it will be subbing fro space age weaponry all over holly wood very soon

I was thinking the same thing about the H&K G11--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%26K_G11

--that you could swipe its appearance for a prototype railgun, or laser or plasma rifle that the PCs have to steal or recover.

Good finds, everyone.

On the subject of "If you need to reload' date=' you're already hosed" I stumbled across this looking for something completely different, and figured it was worth sharing.[/quote']

That reminds me of the helicopter gunpod the Russians build.

IIRC the guns can be elevated or lowered for better strafing, possibly even traversed.

It has iirc 2x 7.62mm gatling guns, and one 12.7mm gatling gun, for a total rate of fire of about 15K rpm!

I'll try to look it up when I get home. It was in one of Anthony Williams' excellent books. Either Rapid fire, or flying guns, the modern era.

Has anyone ever actually shot a bullpup style weapon? How hard is it to change magazines? It looks kind of awkward' date=' compared to traditional magazine-in-front-of-the-trigger configuration.[/quote']

Never used one myself, but the guys I have talked to who have actually used one (the Steyr) say the reverse: it's easy to reload with your fore hand while using the trigger grip to hold the weapon at ready (the Stryr is ambidextrous, so there's a magazine release on both sides)

The AUG action holds the bolt open so when you insert a new mag, you use the same hand to cock the rifle. The whole idea was to take advantage of the relatively light weight and good balance (combined with the transparent mag) so that the user could do a combat reload without taking their eyes (and muzzle) off the threat area. Apparently it's different from a standard design like the M or AR series, but once you've learned it, quick and easy.

That's only the Steyr of course, but it does suggest a bullpup is not inherently harder to change mags on.

cheers, Mark

Never used one myself, but the guys I have talked to who have actually used one (the Steyr) say the reverse: it's easy to reload with your fore hand while using the trigger grip to hold the weapon at ready (the Stryr is ambidextrous, so there's a magazine release on both sides)

The AUG action holds the bolt open so when you insert a new mag, you use the same hand to cock the rifle. The whole idea was to take advantage of the relatively light weight and good balance (combined with the transparent mag) so that the user could do a combat reload without taking their eyes (and muzzle) off the threat area. Apparently it's different from a standard design like the M or AR series, but once you've learned it, quick and easy.

That's only the Steyr of course, but it does suggest a bullpup is not inherently harder to change mags on.

cheers, Mark

yay, my supposition is actually supported by use! Maybe I'm not a complete moron! :D

Some interesting items I came across. First, while not a gun, I found it fascinating that someone had actually made it. The second is a gun from Blade II, my favorite in that movie, I think. He seems to really like weird Mac-10/11 variants as well. And a classic sawed down shotgun, another one of my favorites. And finally, for perhaps a more pulpy sort of game, a fancified Sten.

Some interesting items I came across. First' date=' while not a gun, I found it fascinating that someone had actually made it. The second is a gun from Blade II, my favorite in that movie, I think. He seems to really like weird Mac-10/11 variants as well. And a classic sawed down shotgun, another one of my favorites. And finally, for perhaps a more pulpy sort of game, a fancified Sten.[/quote']

I think the modified Mac 10 is supposed to be a Spectre.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg21-e.htm

Or it could be supposed to be "cool"

Hollyweird. :P

maybe there is an actual reason why so many arms manufacturers have been shifting to bullpup models....

nahhhhh.

It must be peer pressure. :doi:

Could be, but I had always thought (and much literature supported) that the reason was more because it made the rifle smaller overall, or more easily maneuverable in smaller spaces. I hadn't even thought of the magazine change until the person above had asked it. With what little I've used any rifles with magazines, it had never seemed to be an issue as far as I knew.

Honestly, my personal dislike of bullpup style rifles is simply aesthetics, mostly.

I kind of like the idea of rifles with Beta-C magazines like this one, though, which just strikes me as amusing to no end. =)

Some interesting items I came across. First' date=' while not a gun, I found it fascinating that someone had actually made it. The second is a gun from Blade II, my favorite in that movie, I think. He seems to really like weird Mac-10/11 variants as well. And a classic sawed down shotgun, another one of my favorites. And finally, for perhaps a more pulpy sort of game, a fancified Sten.[/quote']

That blade looks vaguely like Cloud's buster sword from Advent Children.

Could be, but I had always thought (and much literature supported) that the reason was more because it made the rifle smaller overall, or more easily maneuverable in smaller spaces. I hadn't even thought of the magazine change until the person above had asked it. With what little I've used any rifles with magazines, it had never seemed to be an issue as far as I knew.

Honestly, my personal dislike of bullpup style rifles is simply aesthetics, mostly.

I kind of like the idea of rifles with Beta-C magazines like this one, though, which just strikes me as amusing to no end. =)

Apparently the Beta-C Magazines are notoriously unreliable, in addition to being HEAVY and BULKY/Akward.

The SPectre and the SUOMI submachine guns both used 4 column magazines holding about 50 rounds, iirc. That seems better.

The helical magazines used by the Calico guns made sense, but were still fairly bulky and heavy. Reliable, though, I believe.

Apparently the Beta-C Magazines are notoriously unreliable, in addition to being HEAVY and BULKY/Akward.

The SPectre and the SUOMI submachine guns both used 4 column magazines holding about 50 rounds, iirc. That seems better.

The helical magazines used by the Calico guns made sense, but were still fairly bulky and heavy. Reliable, though, I believe.

Yeah, I'd imagine the beta-c mags to not be reliable. Most definately heavy/bulky. Its why I'd say amusing, but not to depend on, and definitely not for the cost of them which is ridiculous.

If they were reliable, I'd only ever think to use them in defending a fixed location and not for general use...which is likely they're original intent.

As a whole, for actual use, I'll stick with box magazines and modest round count. All of my use of firearms thus far has been on the range (formal and impromptu ranges) and a small amount of hunting in my youth.

Since this is for games, though, we can all just pretend the beta-c works and that my DC can handle the weight. :D Heck, since he can hit well with a 12 guage magnum slug (equivalent) from a handgun, a measly 200 round rifle should be okay. hehe