Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

It's been done before... for real.

M65 Davy Crockett "Nuclear Bazooka"

0.1kt warhead, 3 mile range, 3 mile area effect (oops)

Repeats a number of errors I've heard about this weapon for years. They don't mention that the Crockett's warhead could be dialled back in yield for precision work, or that the whole reason for mounting it on a jeep was so that the firer could drive away from the fallout should it be coming towards him.

Far from a "weapon of last resort" it was a very effective response to the legions of tanks the SOviets were deploying to the borders of Eastern Europe at the time.

Repeats a number of errors I've heard about this weapon for years. They don't mention that the Crockett's warhead could be dialled back in yield for precision work, or that the whole reason for mounting it on a jeep was so that the firer could drive away from the fallout should it be coming towards him.

Far from a "weapon of last resort" it was a very effective response to the legions of tanks the SOviets were deploying to the borders of Eastern Europe at the time.

It's not entirely wrong - although the lowest yield put the users outside the hot zone, it also decreased the effect against armour dramatically. To be effective in its planned role as a massed anti-armor weapon, it would have needed to have been used at maximum yield - in which case the radiation dose taken by the users would almost certainly have been fatal - not in days or hours as it would have been to people within a few hundred yards, but probably within months. You can't outrun the radiation in a jeep (and practically, if the wind was blowing your way, you probably couldn't outrun the fallout, either). That probably wasn't appreciated when the weapon was first deployed, but it was certainly common knowledge by the 80's. I talked to US soldiers stationed in Germany back in the 80's and the general opinion - among the troops who deployed it - was that the Davy Crockett was suicide weapon. Not to mention the fact that it would likely have been used in a heavily populated region, so civilian casualties from use would also have been significant. Basically it was a desperation weapon for what would have been a desperate struggle, if war had erupted.

cheers, Mark

"There's an app for that..."

An iPhone app called Bullet Flight enables snipers to calculate range and trajectory for their shots, and built-in satellite-positioning allows local weather conditions to be taken into account. The basic version costs $3.99 and the full military one—which even calculates how the Coriolis effect from the rotation of the Earth will influence a bullet’s flight—costs $29.99.

The Economist, Dec 10, 2009

I could see that being popular with hunters--just the thing to help you take down the animal on the first shot. I can hear the old-timers now grousing about the new technology and the death of Kentucky Windage--;)

Of course' date=' it was also possible for your clone to [i']survive[/i] getting hit by a nuke.

It was also possible to survive a nuke in Villains & Vigilantes--that game listed the damage for a large nuclear warhead as 4d100. Which made it possible--albeit unlikely--for it to inflict only four points of damage.

Granted, anything is possible in the superhero genre, but how believable would that be?

I always thought that the damage for a large nuke should have been d4 x 100--that would have been more believable, and much easier to calculate. ("Everyone in the blast radius takes 400 points damage. Guess you should have cut the blue wire, eh?")

The legendary gamer comic Murphy's Rules made note of this as well--their punchline for the entry was, "You'd get one heck of a suntan, though--"

...And now an example of what can happen when you don't have a clear idea of when enough is enough:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34460[/ATTACH]

I think I had a character who used something like that (before I went into the service)... During my last road march the last week of basic, my buddy (who I joined with, and was my best friend since pre-highschool, IE was in my gaming group) handed me the 60 and asked me to think of what I did to Said character's back.

I now probably under equip my characters, that was brutal.

It's not entirely wrong - although the lowest yield put the users outside the hot zone' date=' it also decreased the effect against armour dramatically. To be effective in its planned role as a massed anti-armor weapon, it would have needed to have been used at maximum yield - in which case the radiation dose taken by the users would almost certainly have been fatal - not in days or hours as it would have been to people within a few hundred yards, but probably within months. You can't outrun the radiation in a jeep (and practically, if the wind was blowing your way, you probably couldn't outrun the fallout, either). That probably wasn't appreciated when the weapon was first deployed, but it was certainly common knowledge by the 80's. I talked to US soldiers stationed in Germany back in the 80's and the general opinion - [b']among the troops who deployed it[/b] - was that the Davy Crockett was suicide weapon. Not to mention the fact that it would likely have been used in a heavily populated region, so civilian casualties from use would also have been significant. Basically it was a desperation weapon for what would have been a desperate struggle, if war had erupted.

cheers, Mark

I would have to go back through the references, but as I recall off the top of my head, the short range of the gun was why the 120mm version was phased out for the 155mm version. I seem to recall that they intended it to be mostly used from fortified positions, and trenches would have limited the radiation somewhat.

FIrst effectively "enhanced radiation" weapon.

at any range over 1500 yards or so, I suspect it would have been fairly high angle fire, even if they could see the target. So, get a good sized brick or concrete building between you and the target, then lob it away...

Actually, I just remembered something, I think the projectile was so unstable in flight that accuracy was abominable. Now, I strongly suspect it could have been developed further, but...

I understand that the powers that be suddenly realized that they had built a weapon that would have involved a second lieutenant and a sargent driving around in a jeep with a nuclear weapon. They decided that might not have been such a good idea...

I understand that the powers that be suddenly realized that they had built a weapon that would have involved a second lieutenant and a sargent driving around in a jeep with a nuclear weapon. They decided that might not have been such a good idea...

Bing Crosby and Bob Hope in The Road to Armageddon.

Does anybody else remember the infantry-deployed tactical nuclear rockets from Starship Troopers? And I keep thinking of a nuclear-equipped round for the RPG7' date=' only without all the problems of the Davy Crockett.[/quote']

With the RPG, avoiding an ourright suicide weapon would require a yield so low that you'd probably be better off avoiding nuclear drawbacks and using the thermobaric round.

...And now an example of what can happen when you don't have a clear idea of when enough is enough:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34460[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking that was more an exercise in "how much crap can I attach to this thing...?" than anyone actually using that monstrosity. =) At least, that's my hope. It looks like it'd weigh a ton... and note, at least it isn't cheap crap on there. I saw several pieces of expensive stuff on there, including several Surefire parts and one of those expensive ACOG or whatever style sights on top of the huge scope. =)

I'm thinking that was more an exercise in "how much crap can I attach to this thing...?" than anyone actually using that monstrosity. =) At least' date=' that's my hope. It looks like it'd weigh a ton... and note, at least it isn't cheap crap on there. I saw several pieces of expensive stuff on there, including several Surefire parts and one of those expensive ACOG or whatever style sights on top of the huge scope. =)[/quote']

I'm pretty sure the picture was just an exercise in how much expensive crap one could attach to a rifle* without regard to the actual utility of such a monstrosity (I'm assuming it's an M-4 carbine, but really, who can tell?)

*i.e.: It's a joke, son!