Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

yah, I got my wife a glock 32 for concealed carry, but I figured that since the .357 is so different than what I'm used to carrying it'll take me out of the "door kicker" mentality that would be a liability in a "normal" civillian ccw situation (I.E. defend and run/ call police, as opposed to clearing rooms and going on a man hunt type deal).

If a few extra rounds in a magazine turn you into an "door-kicker," you may wish to re-think things a little. To be able to use the revolver, you're going to have to be pretty proficient with it if you're going to carry it with any sort of confidence or competence enough to defend yourself... which might put you back into kicking in doors. =) The mind-set is not in the toy w/ the bang-button, just like guns don't kill people... its the person behind the gun each time. Sorry to get preachy, there, but if that's all you're going for in a revolver... you may as well keep what you have and just re-think how you train or something. Its not like military or police training is geared towards assaulting with a pistol, so that can't be it.

I love revolvers, but honestly, my CCW weapon of choice is a commander length single-stack 1911, maybe a double-stack if I ever find a reliable one. I've always wished that Para-Ordnance would get their act together, or someone else would make a nice reliable double-stack 1911 (they fit me fine w/ a medium to short trigger) that wasn't made of plastic or required me to get it fixed right off the rack. I may have to settle for a Glock 30 as a back-up, which I shoot well despite its lumpy, blocky feel and crappy trigger. Then again, no CCW in Illannoy, so it doesn't really matter.

The wife and I are looking at the Ruger LCR revolver right now for an easy pocket popper to have while we're in the house in our pajamas. =) If I had my druthers, we'd have one for each of us, with the laser grip (just seems like a good idea and fun to boot), and those nice XS front sights.

Then again, again, one of my favorite pistols is still my S&W 629 V-Comp in .44 Magnum... and if I wasn't in the habit of wearing pajamas around the house, I'd just put it in a belt holster and call it a done day.

I'm rambling and on tangents again, so I'll quit before I get too bad... =)

Apologies if some of these have been posted already or are repeats. I always forget where I get these...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36010[/ATTACH]

Winchester 1901 Lever-action shotgun. Think Terminator 2.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36011[/ATTACH]

Ruger Vaquero single-action revolver. Blued cylinder & barrel. Color case-hardened frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36012[/ATTACH]

Some prop gun based on something I can't remember.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36014[/ATTACH]

Walther WA2000 rifle. I think its just a .22, actually, but looks cool. =)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36013[/ATTACH]

Vintorez 9mm Sniper Rifle. Integral silencer. At least the file name says its a 9mm. =) I do know its silenced, though. =)

lol, I see what your saying, and yes military training itself isn't geared towards assualting with a pistol, but things change and or exceptions exsist everwhere. Our LT gave up his Capt.'s bars and took a demotion to turn our platoon into a special actions platoon. Our training included each member to be as proficient with room clearing with our M-9 as our M-16 (we were a morter platoon that was disbanded for our tour in Kosovo because big Arty. had the entire country "ranged in" so they didn't need morters, but they needed a specialty CQB trained platoon. So there we went, and you can train small unit room clearing with a 9mm.

A small revolver is something I'm just not as familiar with (haven't ever fired one) that it would "curb" the confidence factor of someone who has trained the heck out of building clearing with a pistol. not to mention I'd like to get one anyway because I do beleive in having a nice collection. Right now I just have my XD 5" .45 for CCW. and that was my #1 go to. its a solid little weapon.

If a few extra rounds in a magazine turn you into an "door-kicker," you may wish to re-think things a little. To be able to use the revolver, you're going to have to be pretty proficient with it if you're going to carry it with any sort of confidence or competence enough to defend yourself... which might put you back into kicking in doors. =) The mind-set is not in the toy w/ the bang-button, just like guns don't kill people... its the person behind the gun each time. Sorry to get preachy, there, but if that's all you're going for in a revolver... you may as well keep what you have and just re-think how you train or something. Its not like military or police training is geared towards assaulting with a pistol, so that can't be it.

I love revolvers, but honestly, my CCW weapon of choice is a commander length single-stack 1911, maybe a double-stack if I ever find a reliable one. I've always wished that Para-Ordnance would get their act together, or someone else would make a nice reliable double-stack 1911 (they fit me fine w/ a medium to short trigger) that wasn't made of plastic or required me to get it fixed right off the rack. I may have to settle for a Glock 30 as a back-up, which I shoot well despite its lumpy, blocky feel and crappy trigger. Then again, no CCW in Illannoy, so it doesn't really matter.

The wife and I are looking at the Ruger LCR revolver right now for an easy pocket popper to have while we're in the house in our pajamas. =) If I had my druthers, we'd have one for each of us, with the laser grip (just seems like a good idea and fun to boot), and those nice XS front sights.

Then again, again, one of my favorite pistols is still my S&W 629 V-Comp in .44 Magnum... and if I wasn't in the habit of wearing pajamas around the house, I'd just put it in a belt holster and call it a done day.

I'm rambling and on tangents again, so I'll quit before I get too bad... =)

The cover story in the new issue of American Rifleman is the Springfield Armory XD45(M) I liked the feel of the basic 45 version, this should be even better.

Apologies if some of these have been posted already or are repeats. I always forget where I get these...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36010[/ATTACH]

Winchester 1901 Lever-action shotgun. Think Terminator 2.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36011[/ATTACH]

Ruger Vaquero single-action revolver. Blued cylinder & barrel. Color case-hardened frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36012[/ATTACH]

Some prop gun based on something I can't remember.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36014[/ATTACH]

Walther WA2000 rifle. I think its just a .22, actually, but looks cool. =)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36013[/ATTACH]

Vintorez 9mm Sniper Rifle. Integral silencer. At least the file name says its a 9mm. =) I do know its silenced, though. =)

IIRC the WA2000 is/was available in .308 or .300 Winchester Magnum.

the Vintorez rifle is in 9x39mm, basically a 7.62x39 necked up to 9mm, firing a subsonic 250 gr bullet. Sort of like a "Whisper" but designed for the relatively close in ranges rather than the longer ranged stuff. ONe of their basic rounds is an AP...

lol, I see what your saying, and yes military training itself isn't geared towards assaulting with a pistol, but things change and or exceptions exist everywhere. Our LT gave up his Capt.'s bars and took a demotion to turn our platoon into a special actions platoon. Our training included each member to be as proficient with room clearing with our M-9 as our M-16 (we were a morter platoon that was disbanded for our tour in Kosovo because big Arty. had the entire country "ranged in" so they didn't need morters, but they needed a specialty CQB trained platoon. So there we went, and you can train small unit room clearing with a 9mm.

A small revolver is something I'm just not as familiar with (haven't ever fired one) that it would "curb" the confidence factor of someone who has trained the heck out of building clearing with a pistol. not to mention I'd like to get one anyway because I do beleive in having a nice collection. Right now I just have my XD 5" .45 for CCW. and that was my #1 go to. its a solid little weapon.

Huh, that is interesting. I've heard of such, but haven't seen much of it. What an interesting exception. :) Hmmm... still, I think mindset over equipment should be your answer. ;) But, far be it from me to stop someone from buying a new pistol, and adding to the collection is always a good idea. Heck, my wife and I are going pistol shopping for her and me tomorrow for a nice pocket gun for the house, so that we always have one available, even while in pajamas. Something light yet usable that will sit in a pocket/pocket-holster with only pajamas on. We've found a general need for it with some situations to keep us feeling safe without resorting to walking around the house fully clothed with holsters and all that. Hmmm... maybe I can get her to wear it on a garter belt... :sneaky:

The cover story in the new issue of American Rifleman is the Springfield Armory XD45(M) I liked the feel of the basic 45 version' date=' this should be even better.[/quote']

Cool, they finally made an M version... I'll have to go take a look. I've liked the XD(m) pistols that I've shot. I think the trigger is a tad nicer and much less annoying than the glock one... and I can almost, kinda', not really stand the looks and ergonomics of it. Looks like Wolf already has an XD though. =) I'm a metal pistol guy. The plastic just doesn't feel right. No protest against its function.

IIRC the WA2000 is/was available in .308 or .300 Winchester Magnum.

the Vintorez rifle is in 9x39mm, basically a 7.62x39 necked up to 9mm, firing a subsonic 250 gr bullet. Sort of like a "Whisper" but designed for the relatively close in ranges rather than the longer ranged stuff. ONe of their basic rounds is an AP...

Ah, thank you. I wasn't really sure about those so its nice to know something about them. :) Can't say I know a lot about the Whispers, though I've read up on a couple of them, I have little knowledge of their overall place in ammunition circles. Thus far I've stuck with very standard rounds for all my firearms so as to have plenty of access to the ammunition since I'm not one for reloading at this point. Time spent reloading could be used on writing or miniatures or working on my car... or even doing work on my house (yuck, but necessary). Still, I do have an interest, as some of the comparatively "exotic" loads do hold some interest for me. Hmmm... perhaps I should look into it again, perhaps with one of those progressive presses I might find it less cumbersome... meh.

This will not end well:

phone-pistol-phone-guns-demotivational-poster-1274366172.jpg

I've seen this before. Also known as a "Detroit Cell Phone." Still amusing. I'm still holding out for one of those commlink type devices like from the current edition of Shadowrun. Until then, ya'll can keep the stupid touch screens and all that garbage. (I was also resistant to the computer mouse, if that's any indicator, and graphic user interfaces as well)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36022[/ATTACH]And finally, some huge revolver... I think this one was a .600 or .700 Nitro or some-such but this time with a shorter barrel and not quite as overwhelmingly huge as the last one someone here pictured.

Huh' date=' that is interesting. I've heard of such, but haven't seen much of it. What an interesting exception. :) Hmmm... still, I think mindset over equipment should be your answer. ;) But, far be it from me to stop someone from buying a new pistol, and adding to the collection is always a good idea. Heck, my wife and I are going pistol shopping for her and me tomorrow for a nice pocket gun for the house, so that we always have one available, even while in pajamas. Something light yet usable that will sit in a pocket/pocket-holster with only pajamas on. We've found a general need for it with some situations to keep us feeling safe without resorting to walking around the house fully clothed with holsters and all that. Hmmm... maybe I can get her to wear it on a garter belt... :sneaky: *snip*[/quote']

We were a heavy exception, and we all went into Kosovo ready to die for that man, he was honestly the best "executive level" leader I've ever had... he inspired such great things from us, truly a legendary leader... He's in the Green Barrets now, where he should be. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time... I got a year of top level CQB training, better than any 11 series of the day got, and I do feel very lucky. Yah, my wife and I have resorted to leaving our pistols in little in-obvious places around the house, moving them as we move rooms... not the most ideal set up, to be honest. And we've got a 9mm carbine in my dad's room (he's disabled, and stays in there for the most part) so we do have a "fall back" room if needed, but any house if properly assaulted is a bloody death trap (as is CQB, Our CQB trainer had a fight with some of the Rangers who were deployed to assist us (assist the whole of the 1st ID, not our platoon, lol), and told them that they couldn't handle a properly defended city. To this the Rangers reserved a MOUT site for a "prove it" type war game. So our Training SGT took the 8 cooks from HHC, and defended the town for 2 days at the loss of over half the Rangers unit (I believe it was a Battalion level, if not close), and only 3 cooks.).

As far as the whole revolver goes, I think the major part in my desire to get one is just wanting to have an excuse to purchase another firearm, as if I really need that much of an excuse. And I do wholly agree that the mind behind the trigger is the motivator, instigator, danger, and actuator, and the weapon is, itself, just a tool. Put it in your tool-box to use as intended. Example, I've trained on an M-4, but I don't like how it fires, and due to the extensive training I've had with the M-16, probably. I can use a full length rifle in any CQB scenario, and as a long range weapon, whereas the M-4 is really only quite usable as a close range weapon, apparently especially for me... I'm sure with enough train-up I could drill in the M-4 as well as I can fire an M-16, but I really don't want to, lol.

Huh, that is interesting. I've heard of such, but haven't seen much of it. What an interesting exception. :) Hmmm... still, I think mindset over equipment should be your answer. ;) But, far be it from me to stop someone from buying a new pistol, and adding to the collection is always a good idea. Heck, my wife and I are going pistol shopping for her and me tomorrow for a nice pocket gun for the house, so that we always have one available, even while in pajamas. Something light yet usable that will sit in a pocket/pocket-holster with only pajamas on. We've found a general need for it with some situations to keep us feeling safe without resorting to walking around the house fully clothed with holsters and all that. Hmmm... maybe I can get her to wear it on a garter belt... :sneaky:

Cool, they finally made an M version... I'll have to go take a look. I've liked the XD(m) pistols that I've shot. I think the trigger is a tad nicer and much less annoying than the glock one... and I can almost, kinda', not really stand the looks and ergonomics of it. Looks like Wolf already has an XD though. =) I'm a metal pistol guy. The plastic just doesn't feel right. No protest against its function.

Ah, thank you. I wasn't really sure about those so its nice to know something about them. :) Can't say I know a lot about the Whispers, though I've read up on a couple of them, I have little knowledge of their overall place in ammunition circles. Thus far I've stuck with very standard rounds for all my firearms so as to have plenty of access to the ammunition since I'm not one for reloading at this point. Time spent reloading could be used on writing or miniatures or working on my car... or even doing work on my house (yuck, but necessary). Still, I do have an interest, as some of the comparatively "exotic" loads do hold some interest for me. Hmmm... perhaps I should look into it again, perhaps with one of those progressive presses I might find it less cumbersome... meh.

I strongly recommend the Kel Tec like of micro pistols. My wife's P3AT is imo pretty close to the ultimate .380 carry gun. and with the add on carryingt clip she could slide it inside a Garter...

as to relatively exotic loads, A friend is talking about buying some of these and having me load them up for his .45-70...

http://lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=19

They make a lot of interesting bullets, though I am not a rich enough man to buy a lot.

Cool' date=' they finally made an M version... I'll have to go take a look. I've liked the XD(m) pistols that I've shot. I think the trigger is a tad nicer and much less annoying than the glock one... and I can almost, kinda', not really stand the looks and ergonomics of it. Looks like Wolf already has an XD though. =) I'm a metal pistol guy. The plastic just doesn't feel right. No protest against its function.[/quote']

Damnit, this is what I get for posting from my phone... grr. I totally missed this. I got my XD (not M) because Springfield said they weren't going to have a .45 version of the M out in the "foreseeable future" at the Shot Show... I really dig the "M" looks for the XD's... Now it looks like I'll have to either trade mine up, or just get a second one... man, I'm more than a tad pissed (not at any of you, I just have horrible "firearms sources" apparently... Then again, the XD line isn't even truly Springfield, they just trademark it, and sell them here...

One good thing about the M variants, they have an interchangeable "butt" so the grip fits most anyone's hand better... nice quality that would make me like the Glock more, if they did that.

Damnit, this is what I get for posting from my phone... grr. I totally missed this. I got my XD (not M) because Springfield said they weren't going to have a .45 version of the M out in the "foreseeable future" at the Shot Show... I really dig the "M" looks for the XD's... Now it looks like I'll have to either trade mine up, or just get a second one... man, I'm more than a tad pissed (not at any of you, I just have horrible "firearms sources" apparently... Then again, the XD line isn't even truly Springfield, they just trademark it, and sell them here...

One good thing about the M variants, they have an interchangeable "butt" so the grip fits most anyone's hand better... nice quality that would make me like the Glock more, if they did that.

Gewing brought it up. I just commented on it. Still, that's typical on them not telling you so you'd buy something. The M versions are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive, and personally threw me off purchasing one because of it. I didn't see the need to pay $250 more for a few more rounds and a couple of minor refinements that should simply be part of the progressive improvement of the pistol... for, what is essentially still an ugly, blocky, lego-gripped pistol. I hate those giant blocky shapes on the grips.

I strongly recommend the Kel Tec like of micro pistols. My wife's P3AT is imo pretty close to the ultimate .380 carry gun. and with the add on carryingt clip she could slide it inside a Garter...

Well, I had totally forgotten about those pistols. We'll have to check those out as an alternative. However, she's only really fired and is comfortable with revolvers thus far. Still, I'll take a look and see if she's interested at all. Heck, if we can manage the 9mm one of those, that'd be great for me as far as buying ammo goes. =)

as to relatively exotic loads, A friend is talking about buying some of these and having me load them up for his .45-70...

http://lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=19

They make a lot of interesting bullets, though I am not a rich enough man to buy a lot.

This is also why I can't get into reloading.... there's just too much junk I'd be investigating in. Next thing you know, I'll actually have rounds with garlic and holy water in them for no sensible (sane) reason, and just crazy stuff just because I can.

Gewing brought it up. I just commented on it. Still' date=' that's typical on them not telling you so you'd buy something. The M versions are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive, and personally threw me off purchasing one because of it. I didn't see the need to pay $250 more for a few more rounds and a couple of minor refinements that should simply be part of the progressive improvement of the pistol... for, what is essentially still an ugly, blocky, lego-gripped pistol. I hate those giant blocky shapes on the grips..[/quote']

Wow, you really hate a little design... I personally like much of that about the "M" variant, even the "cool" stylized XDm along the grip... but I'm a geek like that (too much shadowrun as a youngster, I honestly think, I've always wanted a Colt American from their first edition... I think Second edition also had a picture of one, I don't remember it in third, but there ya go). Wow, round here the M variant (at least at most of the gunshops, Bass Pro, and Cabellas around here) is maybe 20 bucks more... maybe.... for the most part both of them are $580-$620 (maybe a tad more, but not much) depending on dual tone, blacked, barrel size, and caliber.

Wow' date=' you really hate a little design... I personally like much of that about the "M" variant, even the "cool" stylized XDm along the grip... but I'm a geek like that (too much shadowrun as a youngster, I honestly think, I've always wanted a Colt American from their first edition... I think Second edition also had a picture of one, I don't remember it in third, but there ya go). Wow, round here the M variant (at least at most of the gunshops, Bass Pro, and Cabellas around here) is maybe 20 bucks more... maybe.... for the most part both of them are $580-$620 (maybe a tad more, but not much) depending on dual tone, blacked, barrel size, and caliber.[/quote']

Only $20 more?! Dang, gunshop I was checking them out at had them for a lot more... =/ Well, for a little more, you get a decent amount then. I don't "hate" the XDs... it just seems like all the plastic guns go for those giant polygon shapes that just feel irritating to me. Serrations, checkering, and even smooth grips I have no problems with... the lego-block thing just bothers me. The Springfield Armory custom shop's grip treatment intrigues me, though.... but its pretty expensive to get it. The stylizing I don't mind, and the XD's looks are certainly different from the Glock. I dunno, the Glock's blockiness is at least smooth and plain, which I kind of like... but the XD having some lines to it kind of helps. *shrug* I'm just a metal gun kind of guy, I guess, and just don't have enough of what I want that I can settle for less than the ones I like. Considering that my collection consists mostly of classic designs in auto-pistols and revolvers, that's likely just a taste thing. I know lots of people who really enjoy glocks and XDs and even the Walther P99. Its just not me, I guess... my favorite finish is still blue, I still appreciate a good polish, and I still like the little touches like nitre bluing pins, blending, and smooth cuts in metal. Heck, even french borders are starting to worm themselves into my good graces.

Despite my dislike, you won't likely go wrong with an XD of any sort. I've heard nothing but good about them regarding function. Just old-fashioned folks like me don't like their aesthetics is all. =)

We got back from our gun shopping trip today. We looked at the Ruger LCR w/ and w/out the laser grip, the SP101, and several S&W J-frames from the 442 up to the 640, and the Kel-tecs Gewing mentioned, and the LCP from Ruger as well. I gotta say, those Kel-tec's did not impress me in their build quality or their feel. The Ruger's were close but not quite right in feel, though their construction and such seemed good. The LCR's trigger is truly interesting and definitely different, but I see myself having a functional issue with it. If you try and fire it too fast, you may short stroke the trigger, in which case something doesn't catch quite right and it goes goofy and won't push the hammer back. I got a more positive feel of the return from the S&W revolver, and my wife just liked it better all around. Since the gun is mostly for her, I conceded the choice. So now its to the price-comparison stage and then to the budgeting committee. =)

Those Kel-tecs are just darn small, and I didn't like the odd spring screwed into the side... the extractor? Huge gaps between slide and frame with an exposed recoil spring... and it felt like I was pointing downward even when I lowered my grip. Probably part of the whole being small thing, I guess. The revolvers are bigger, granted, but felt a lot more comfortable. That size of gun, the LCP/Kel-tec size, has its place... but there's no concealed here, and I think it likely isn't the best choice for this particular purpose.

Only $20 more?! Dang, gunshop I was checking them out at had them for a lot more... =/ Well, for a little more, you get a decent amount then. I don't "hate" the XDs... it just seems like all the plastic guns go for those giant polygon shapes that just feel irritating to me. Serrations, checkering, and even smooth grips I have no problems with... the lego-block thing just bothers me. The Springfield Armory custom shop's grip treatment intrigues me, though.... but its pretty expensive to get it. The stylizing I don't mind, and the XD's looks are certainly different from the Glock. I dunno, the Glock's blockiness is at least smooth and plain, which I kind of like... but the XD having some lines to it kind of helps. *shrug* I'm just a metal gun kind of guy, I guess, and just don't have enough of what I want that I can settle for less than the ones I like. Considering that my collection consists mostly of classic designs in auto-pistols and revolvers, that's likely just a taste thing. I know lots of people who really enjoy glocks and XDs and even the Walther P99. Its just not me, I guess... my favorite finish is still blue, I still appreciate a good polish, and I still like the little touches like nitre bluing pins, blending, and smooth cuts in metal. Heck, even french borders are starting to worm themselves into my good graces.

Despite my dislike, you won't likely go wrong with an XD of any sort. I've heard nothing but good about them regarding function. Just old-fashioned folks like me don't like their aesthetics is all. =)

We got back from our gun shopping trip today. We looked at the Ruger LCR w/ and w/out the laser grip, the SP101, and several S&W J-frames from the 442 up to the 640, and the Kel-tecs Gewing mentioned, and the LCP from Ruger as well. I gotta say, those Kel-tec's did not impress me in their build quality or their feel. The Ruger's were close but not quite right in feel, though their construction and such seemed good. The LCR's trigger is truly interesting and definitely different, but I see myself having a functional issue with it. If you try and fire it too fast, you may short stroke the trigger, in which case something doesn't catch quite right and it goes goofy and won't push the hammer back. I got a more positive feel of the return from the S&W revolver, and my wife just liked it better all around. Since the gun is mostly for her, I conceded the choice. So now its to the price-comparison stage and then to the budgeting committee. =)

Those Kel-tecs are just darn small, and I didn't like the odd spring screwed into the side... the extractor? Huge gaps between slide and frame with an exposed recoil spring... and it felt like I was pointing downward even when I lowered my grip. Probably part of the whole being small thing, I guess. The revolvers are bigger, granted, but felt a lot more comfortable. That size of gun, the LCP/Kel-tec size, has its place... but there's no concealed here, and I think it likely isn't the best choice for this particular purpose.

true, the kel-tec is tiny. Once I realized how the simple sights were intended to be used (there is an aftermarket improvement to the rear sights) my wife's would do headshots at 50 ft. Recoil is definitely there, but not painful imo. There are few guns as easy to carry concealed. If that is not an option for you, then... other choices are probably better. The LCP has a nicer appearance, but it is significantly larger, and came out about 5 years later.

you might look at the Kahr guns. They are small, but not as small.

The SP101 in the new .327 federal is intriguing to me. I can see a lot of arguments for the .357/.38 spl instead, but the smaller caliber will fit more rounds in a given cylinder, and the ballistics are pretty darned impressive.

true' date=' the kel-tec is tiny. Once I realized how the simple sights were intended to be used (there is an aftermarket improvement to the rear sights) my wife's would do headshots at 50 ft. Recoil is definitely there, but not painful imo. There are few guns as easy to carry concealed. If that is not an option for you, then... other choices are probably better. The LCP has a nicer appearance, but it is significantly larger, and came out about 5 years later. [/quote']

I can see the place of it, just not sure its something for me. I'd rather go through the hassle of carrying a bigger gun, methinks. Then again, if I could, I'd just sport a short shotgun if it came down to really being paranoid. =) I can see them as interesting back-up pocket guns. My shape is such that I can conceal a pretty significant sized gun if needed, though nothing crazy without some work. I just can't say I'm real impressed with the kel-tec build quality on those bitties, though I've heard mostly good about them in general and their price point is nice. Still, I'd prefer the slightly bigger Ruger LCP if I went down that route, but I didn't particularly like that one either. I think its just the size thing, mostly, and the ergonomics that go with it. It'd take some getting used to in general. My first gun was a S&W N-frame, my 2nd was a double-stack 9mm, and my 3rd was a double stack 1911... I'm moving DOWN to a single-stack 1911 and moved to a different 9mm that's actually bigger in some ways (CZ SP-01 from Ruger P89).

you might look at the Kahr guns. They are small, but not as small.

I've seen those and been curious but have yet to handle or shoot one. Trigger looks long with a bit of an extreme hinge, seems to me. Still, they do make me curious, and they do have metal ones... so it might be a route I go. Someday. After the commander, and maybe a carry comp. =)

The SP101 in the new .327 federal is intriguing to me. I can see a lot of arguments for the .357/.38 spl instead, but the smaller caliber will fit more rounds in a given cylinder, and the ballistics are pretty darned impressive.

I agree. Its just the odd caliber thing again. Everything I've read about the .327 Federal has been good, though scarce. The SP101 strikes me as a better fit for the .357 snubbie role than the S&W J-frames. Then again, in this class, I've also considered the Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special, the only problem being not a lot of dealers stock it so its hard to check out. Now that's a snubbie I could enjoy, assuming everything else was good. I'm not recoil adverse, but I'm far from a masochist, and a small revolver in .44 special strikes me as about as big as I'd want to go in that platform. The .327 federal strikes me as pretty competent and decently powerful, a nice compromise between .38 special and .357 magnum.. but probably also attainable with .38 +P ammo. I love .357 in a medium to large revolver, have not yet shot one in a small frame revolver.

Thanks guys. I don't mind having a handle that I can fit my hand around' date=' it just looks like most of the ones I saw in the store looked like the handle alone would "print" pretty badly, and if I get a snubby .357, I want it to sit pretty small in the holster, ya know.. That one Baloo showed at the bottom looks pretty close to perfect, though.[/quote']

It was a good utility gun. It was fine for home defense and I don't know how many rabid cannus aluminatus I offed at the range.

This will not end well:

phone-pistol-phone-guns-demotivational-poster-1274366172.jpg

I can just imagine someone answering during a gunfight: "Can I call you back? I'm kinda busy now!"

I can see the place of it, just not sure its something for me. I'd rather go through the hassle of carrying a bigger gun, methinks. Then again, if I could, I'd just sport a short shotgun if it came down to really being paranoid. =) I can see them as interesting back-up pocket guns. My shape is such that I can conceal a pretty significant sized gun if needed, though nothing crazy without some work. I just can't say I'm real impressed with the kel-tec build quality on those bitties, though I've heard mostly good about them in general and their price point is nice. Still, I'd prefer the slightly bigger Ruger LCP if I went down that route, but I didn't particularly like that one either. I think its just the size thing, mostly, and the ergonomics that go with it. It'd take some getting used to in general. My first gun was a S&W N-frame, my 2nd was a double-stack 9mm, and my 3rd was a double stack 1911... I'm moving DOWN to a single-stack 1911 and moved to a different 9mm that's actually bigger in some ways (CZ SP-01 from Ruger P89).

I've seen those and been curious but have yet to handle or shoot one. Trigger looks long with a bit of an extreme hinge, seems to me. Still, they do make me curious, and they do have metal ones... so it might be a route I go. Someday. After the commander, and maybe a carry comp. =)

I agree. Its just the odd caliber thing again. Everything I've read about the .327 Federal has been good, though scarce. The SP101 strikes me as a better fit for the .357 snubbie role than the S&W J-frames. Then again, in this class, I've also considered the Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special, the only problem being not a lot of dealers stock it so its hard to check out. Now that's a snubbie I could enjoy, assuming everything else was good. I'm not recoil adverse, but I'm far from a masochist, and a small revolver in .44 special strikes me as about as big as I'd want to go in that platform. The .327 federal strikes me as pretty competent and decently powerful, a nice compromise between .38 special and .357 magnum.. but probably also attainable with .38 +P ammo. I love .357 in a medium to large revolver, have not yet shot one in a small frame revolver.

I fired some pretty hot .357 handloads in an sp101 with iirc 3" barrel. That convinced me I have NO INTEREST in shooting them in one of the 12-15 once snubbies!

Now for obscene recoil, there is the S&W 329 (?iirc?) NO thanks.

Then there was the gun my dad was asked to test for a customer. I don't think he got through a cylinder of 5 rounds, and he absolutely had NO interest in firing it again.

Taurus Titanium tracker, 2" barrel, .41 magnum.

The 4" barreled steel version I might consider. It looks like they quit making the titanium version.

I fired some pretty hot .357 handloads in an sp101 with iirc 3" barrel. That convinced me I have NO INTEREST in shooting them in one of the 12-15 once snubbies!

Now for obscene recoil, there is the S&W 329 (?iirc?) NO thanks.

Then there was the gun my dad was asked to test for a customer. I don't think he got through a cylinder of 5 rounds, and he absolutely had NO interest in firing it again.

Taurus Titanium tracker, 2" barrel, .41 magnum.

The 4" barreled steel version I might consider. It looks like they quit making the titanium version.

It always seems a balance of factors, and it just seems ridiculous to me what some people will go through. A light gun to carry for various reasons is one thing, then there's just putting too much cartridge in too light a gun.

I think I know which one you're talking about with the 329... scandium framed .44 magnum, right? I fired a few out of one and stopped before it was going to get painful. I shot 2 or 3, found it unpleasant to fire (especially with those hardwood, sharp-edged finger-groove grips that come on some of them) and just told the guy, "Yeah, I can see that as a carry a lot and shoot a little gun... no thanks."

I got one of those macho responses and proceeded to flinch and wince through a few cylinders to show me how tough he was. I didn't need the flinch, so I went back to shooting my nice, heavy 629 and dialing in my red dot. =)

The trackers sound interesting. .41 magnum sounds interesting. Might have to try them some day. I kind of like Taurus's 92(?) Beretta clone. It has the frame safety instead of mounted on the slide, and it comes in some pretty amusingly gaudy ways. Might be interesting, but I've heard their quality control has gone down quite a bit. Them, Kimber, and Para-ordnance. *sigh*

It always seems a balance of factors, and it just seems ridiculous to me what some people will go through. A light gun to carry for various reasons is one thing, then there's just putting too much cartridge in too light a gun.

I think I know which one you're talking about with the 329... scandium framed .44 magnum, right? I fired a few out of one and stopped before it was going to get painful. I shot 2 or 3, found it unpleasant to fire (especially with those hardwood, sharp-edged finger-groove grips that come on some of them) and just told the guy, "Yeah, I can see that as a carry a lot and shoot a little gun... no thanks."

I got one of those macho responses and proceeded to flinch and wince through a few cylinders to show me how tough he was. I didn't need the flinch, so I went back to shooting my nice, heavy 629 and dialing in my red dot. =)

The trackers sound interesting. .41 magnum sounds interesting. Might have to try them some day. I kind of like Taurus's 92(?) Beretta clone. It has the frame safety instead of mounted on the slide, and it comes in some pretty amusingly gaudy ways. Might be interesting, but I've heard their quality control has gone down quite a bit. Them, Kimber, and Para-ordnance. *sigh*

as I understand it, Taurus has always had a few slip through the QC checks. otoh, they are the only company that puts a LIFETIME warranty on their guns, and MEANS it.

I would like to try the steel tracker in .41 magnum, but I would rather have the .45 LC they quit making. The judge guns look okay, but for a carry gun in the woods, I don't need the extra couple inches of length.

besides, the shallow rifling apparently gives erratic accuracy depending on what bullets are being used.

as I understand it, Taurus has always had a few slip through the QC checks. otoh, they are the only company that puts a LIFETIME warranty on their guns, and MEANS it.

I would like to try the steel tracker in .41 magnum, but I would rather have the .45 LC they quit making. The judge guns look okay, but for a carry gun in the woods, I don't need the extra couple inches of length.

besides, the shallow rifling apparently gives erratic accuracy depending on what bullets are being used.

The way I hear it, their warranty applies if you can get them to answer the phone and actually believe you... and it takes forever to come back. I don't have any personal experience, so it could just be bitter internet people going out of their way to bad-mouth 'em. *shrug* I've head it both ways. I only have experience with Springfield Armory and Smith and Wesson is regards to customer service, and both of them were great. S&W sent me a part I lost (compensator tip to my revolver) for free, and Springfield Armory straightened out a minor issue for me and re-did the sights on a friend's gun by replacing the mil-spec sights (one fell out of the dove-tail) and replaced 'em with Novak Night Sights.

The judges just strike me as kind of dumb... interesting, but dumb. Make it the proper size and for one or the other, not both. I might be interested in a .410 shotgun pistol, but not so much if its a Taurus. I guess I'm a bit of a gun snob. *shrug*