Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

The .950 JDJ:

From Wikipedia:

The cartridge propels its 3,600 gr (230 g) bullet at approximately 2,200 ft/s (670 m/s). This yields a muzzle energy of 38,685 ft·lbf (52,450 J)[1] and a momentum of 154.1 Newton-seconds. This kinetic energy would allow the .950 JDJ to pass through several body-armored humans. It is comparable to the original tank rounds of World War I in terms of ballistic energy.

So, basically, a WWI tank round in (sorta) shoulder-mounted form. :nonp:

A Lahti L-39 weighs about the same amount, but holds a 10 round clip. I'm guessing you'd need about a 28 STR to shoulder-fire either one without penalty. From a practical standpoint, I'd guess the upper limit, even for a "brick", is something in the 30-50mm range. Unless they're giant-sized, in which case the sky's the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, did they really need the Indiana Jones style musical accompaniment for that?

Maybe in the future they can just make these things compatible with game console controllers, and we won't even need an enlisted military. We can just hire 16 year olds.

You mean like in Ender's Game?

not exactly a gun, but...

Ooh, they duct-taped a hand grenade to an RC plane!

I'll admit that the roll-up wings are pretty cool, but overall, I don't see much there that couldn't be done with off-the-shelf hardware and software. I guess I'm just underestimating the time involved in doing things for the government, but it surprises me that this kind of thing has taken so long to show up.

There are several similar concepts out there. The Switchblade, iirc, has already seen combat use. One company has one they are trying to sell that iirc is an inflatable plastic wing and body, with a warhead basically derived from 2 40mm grenade warheads. A quick puff of CO2, and...

I am not sure something similar that drops/ejects/shoots a small grenade would not be better, but there is a simplicity in having one simple design. It just seems to me that a similar design, with a little payload that can be attached just before launch if desired, might be able to be more flexible. Now, it would probably (unless designed by Israeli, not US company :( ) cost 25 times as much... But in the long run, I could see a design that where just prior to launch a door can be flipped open/taken off, and a module inserted. Extra battery/fuel, Secondary sensor, weapon payload, theoretically it could be very flexible. the baseline would just have a camera and broadcast capability. It would be say 8-16 ounces lighter, and would have a bit longer range/endurance than with a grenade. I wonder if a laser designator package could be made that small to fit in such a payload bay.

It might be possible to make the whole uav cheap enough that one could still use it as a hit to kill weapon if desired.