Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

For my gritty cyberpunk campaign, I like to keep it as realistic as possible for the players while also adding futuristic touches. One of the ways I try to do this is by providing images for the various weapons they come across...since, as they say, style is always in style. So I'll find existing weapons and through the magic of Photoshop, I'll tweak them to try and make them fit the campaign a little better. In my attempt to add to this excellent thread, here's one such firearm, complete with game stats:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42656[/ATTACH]

Heckler & Koch MP24 (10mm x 24mm Ca) Submachine Gun

[2d6-1 RKA, +1 OCV, +1 RMod, AF5, RC1, Rail, Threaded/QC Lugs, Clear Mag, 40 chgs, 10 STR, +3 PER]

A slightly modified version of the highly successful MP5, the MP24 was initially developed to become a less

expensive version of the venerable
Maschinenpistole Model 5
. During redesigns, however, it took on several

unique traits of its own, ending up a peer of the still-favorable MP5 rather than its replacement. The MP24

was eventually chambered with the 10x24mm Caseless round that HK was developing at the same time. Even

though it was a larger caliber, the caseless round was smaller overall and packed more punch than the 9mm,

which was falling out of favor with law enforcement and militaries alike at the time. The MP24 was designed

to meet additional special forces requirements for top-of-the-line suppression, which also benefited from the

larger caliber round.

It supports both threaded and lugged suppressors, and has a unique bolt locking device to silence even the

cycling of the bolt from a single silenced round, making the MP24 one of the quietest suppressed firearms in

existence. The owner can fine-tune the gas cylinder to dynamically support custom +P or –P rounds as well

as turn supersonic rounds subsonic, and it even allows the operator to silently cycle the bolt with manual

controls. Although shown here with the larger 40 round extended clear magazine, it also has a smaller 20 round

mag which is popular for concealed carry situations. The MP24 supports up to 3 accessory rails, although many

owners often keep the default lower receiver foregrip/laser/flashlight combo and only use the top rail for reflex

sights or SmartLink units.

The weapon actually stems from an amalgam of several HK prototype SMGs that never made it to production: the SMG-I, SMG-II and the MP 2000. All of which, btw, were eventually scuttled with the extremely effective redesign that became the UMP platform (e.g., UMP-9, UMP-40, and UMP-45). I really liked the compact look of the SMG-II along with its outstanding suppression features...something that is fairly important for runners in a cyberpunk campaign in which sneaking through a hostile megacorp's campus undetected might mean the difference between mission success and getting the team pinned down by corporate security forces, for example. So I made a few Photoshop modifications to one of the few SMG-II images I could find by upgrading the ammo from 9x19 to my mythical 10mm x 24mm Caseless (electronic firing) rounds, and I threw in the clear magazine from the G36 for good measure. I also modded the select fire switch from 0,1,3,30 to 0,1,5,40 options to match the AF5 game specs, and thus was the MP24 born.

Edit: Not listed in the game specs, btw, is the fact that since it fires caseless ammo, there are no brass casings left behind, so it also technically qualifies for a limited "Invisible Power Effects" advantage. But weapons are "equipment" in my game, so the Active/Real points are immaterial...which is why I didn't bother listing that in the stats.

*Snip*

Edit: Not listed in the game specs, btw, is the fact that since it fires caseless ammo, there are no brass casings left behind, so it also technically qualifies for a limited "Invisible Power Effects" advantage. But weapons are "equipment" in my game, so the Active/Real points are immaterial...which is why I didn't bother listing that in the stats.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Caseless rounds require the propellant charge to double as the housing, thus presumably have noticeably different forensic chemical characteristics from normal gunpowder, and might possibly include inert packing materials like wads, sabots, or powdered composites. I expect that if caseless technology ever takes off, the evidence to prove a caseless weapon was fired will be found, especially in a higher tech setting where higher tech forensic science is also likely.

What's a (relatively) efficient and quick way for a character equipped with a tactical shield to reload their pistol? Equipment suggestions are welcome. New York Reload suggestions...thanks' date=' but it's not ideal for me.[/quote']

I'm assuming this is for a magazine-fed one-handed (semi-)automatic weapon, with their other arm slung through the tactical shield's straps...

1) Some tactical shields are large enough and curved enough with small "feet" protrusions on the bottom that allow them to be "set down" on the bottom edge while continuing to provide cover. That would allow the shooter behind it to quickly slip their arm out and facilitate the reload.

2) If the shooter were wearing a rigid/fast-draw holster, they could thumb the magazine release to drop the clip, quickly re-holster the weapon, then grab a spare magazine with their now-free shooting hand and feed it into the holstered weapon.

3) If the shooter is a "gadget" type, they could have a utility belt with a few spare magazines rigged to spring perpendicular to the belt, allowing the shooter to thumb the magazine release to drop the empty clip, then jam the butt of the weapon onto the now protruding and accessible full magazine...with a simple twist to release it from the belt.

4) The tactical shield could theoretically be configured the same was as the utility belt in #3...with a few spare mags attached to the safe side of the shield, with a small activation mechanism in the handle for the off-hand...thereby allowing their off hand to trigger the mechanism and cause the next full magazine to pop out, after which the shooter thumbs the magazine release to drop the empty clip, then jams the butt of the weapon down over the exposed full mag...with a simple twist to release it from the shield.

5) Hire a sidekick. "I'll hand it to you empty, you give me the other one ready to go, then reload the first one. Lather, rinse, repeat. Got it? Now stay close behind me, kid..." :winkgrin:

What's a (relatively) efficient and quick way for a character equipped with a tactical shield to reload their pistol? Equipment suggestions are welcome. New York Reload suggestions...thanks' date=' but it's not ideal for me.[/quote']

I had a character with a build that would be useful. He was a pistolero and gun freak, with no less than a dozen pistols on him at any point and time - in a Heroic game where guns were generally considered equipment, not part of the character. So I paid points for:

1d6+1 RKA, +1 Stun multiple, 0 End, OIF (a whole bunch of pistols).

In your case, he'd empty one gun, then draw another (make sure you have fast draw) without even worrying about reloading.

The inspiration came from a scene from an old TV show I vaguely remember. A ninja jumps out at the hero's gunslinger sidekick. Gunslinger draws a gun. Ninja disarms him. Gunslinger draws another gun. Ninja disarms him again. Gunslinger draws another gun... repeat for about a half-dozen guns. Ninja kicks the guy down. Gunslinger pulls a gun out of an ankle holster and shoots the ninja before he can get back into melee range.rofl.gif

The inspiration came from a scene from an old TV show I vaguely remember. A ninja jumps out at the hero's gunslinger sidekick. Gunslinger draws a gun. Ninja disarms him. Gunslinger draws another gun. Ninja disarms him again. Gunslinger draws another gun... repeat for about a half-dozen guns. Ninja kicks the guy down. Gunslinger pulls a gun out of an ankle holster and shoots the ninja before he can get back into melee range.rofl.gif

Detective Greenly: What if it was just one guy with six guns?

Paul Smecker: Why don't you let me do the thinking, huh, genius?

Generally speaking, it takes two hands to reload a pistol/revolver. It can be done one handed, but is awkward and there is no real way around that.

Lara Croft had some sort of speed-load system in the Tomb Raider movie which could certainly be used in a cinematic game (I don't believe it exists real world, but I wouldn't rule it out either)

Otherwise, most likely method for reloading without dropping the shield would probably involve dropping the empty magazine and then holding the pistol by the slide with the hand controlling the shield (I'm assuming it is possible to at least hold the pistol without dropping it while still having you hand in the carry strap) and then loading the fresh magazine into the butt with your strong hand.

Every time I see this image I imagine one the size of a 50'gallon drum with castors on it so the shooter never runs out of ammo (and if he does' date=' we can be fairly certain he's dealing with a problem that more ammo probably won't fix).[/quote']

It would be a built-in shooting rest. Braced and Set every time you fire!